Can we talk about Hannibal and the bar culture

I'm pretty sure you guys have seen these vids or something like them
within the past couple of years
what do you think of this kind of training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRUtkFSCwDQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbxEdnDrIk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmmFfV3_Td8

Basically it's time under tension and full range of motion. Good stuff. Considering the time under tension they get for some of these movements it's no surprise they gained a ton of hypertrophy. I can do a good bit of that but I was a gymnast so it's ingrained in me. But I don't have nearly the amount of muscle these guys do lol. For these guys to probably have no background in bodyweight stuff and still be their size doing it is ridiculous. There's a white dude at the 24 hr I go to that does some cool ass shit too, mostly muscle ups, front lever and pullup variations. I've yet to see some regular joe do planche pushups. What I definitely like about it is that they just get outside and have fun... try to one up one another. Kinda like playing horse but on the bar. Get a good homie that has the same competitive nature you do and you can have some crazy fucking workouts.

Good upper body stuff, but i'd feel like a tool trying that stuff down my local park. :p

HULC - Good upper body stuff, but i'd feel like a tool trying that stuff down my local park. :p

fuck what other people think
do you

This stuff is bad-ass and extremely productive. You don't even have to doing the crazy variations, just do tons of chin-ups, dips, push-ups and slowly reduce leverages when the simple exercises become too easy.

Downside - it's all upper-body training. I never see 'park workouts' that give adequate volume to legs and lower-back. Considering that's like 70% of your body, it's something to consider.

HarryLime - This stuff is bad-ass and extremely productive. You don't even have to doing the crazy variations, just do tons of chin-ups, dips, push-ups and slowly reduce leverages when the simple exercises become too easy.

Downside - it's all upper-body training. I never see 'park workouts' that give adequate volume to legs and lower-back. Considering that's like 70% of your body, it's something to consider.

did you see the 2nd video NeoSpartan posted at 5:40 mark
his back seems fairly strong

Don't get me wrong - he has highly developed upper back musculature (lats, traps, rhomboids).

I'm talking about the erector spinae - the columns of muscle that run along the spine. When they're well developed, they look like two thick cables running down the middle of your back.

Cosmetically, the erectors are not a big deal. But they definitely matter for any ground-based power movements that transfer force through the upper body (like blocking in football, or a double leg takedown).

He does have pretty good postural strength from all the levers and isolations -- the the erectors get recruited there, but it's not the same as doing exercises like deadlifts, goodmornings or squats.

Also, you can see when he's wearing shorts that his legs are disproportionately skinny. It's similar to rock-climbers who have lots of muscle around the shoulder girdle but much less through the hips and legs.

Sorry, you're correct that I don't know much about rock climbers, that remark was sort of off the cuff . . . I'll only add that the climbers I've met and seen have puny legs and very muscular backs (relatively speaking).

Forgive me.

Those horizontal pushups are bad-fucking-ass! I really want to be able to do them. Also the straight -arm levers. Damn, that looks awesome. I do park workouts too, and do some horizontal pullups, and even try the straight arm pullups (levers) tho I can only do a few halfass ones and I always leave feeling all buff haha, especially around my lats.