Can you still make a living playing MMOs?

I never got into MMO but I read that some people were making 6 figures playing the games and selling stuff.

I also read about gold farms in mexico and the gdp in some mmos being hreater than a lot of countries.

My gf kids are into wow and I asked them if you can make money off the game. They told me their friend sold some Godly armor for $1700 but I forget how long that took to aquire.

What the fuck is MMO? 

I used to sell gold on runescape in middle school. My mom finally realized I used her bank info without her permission and was using her debit card and shut down my entire operation. I made over $2,000 in about 6 months.

If I caught my kid doing that I'd be impressed and help him cultivate his business skills.

Sogflop - I used to sell gold on runescape in middle school. My mom finally realized I used her bank info without her permission and was using her debit card and shut down my entire operation. I made over $2,000 in about 6 months.

If I caught my kid doing that I'd be impressed and help him cultivate his business skills.
For a cut of the gold rigjt?

Tim Duncan -
Sogflop - I used to sell gold on runescape in middle school. My mom finally realized I used her bank info without her permission and was using her debit card and shut down my entire operation. I made over $2,000 in about 6 months.

For a cut of the gold rigjt?
Obviously.

You gotta spend like 24/7 farming,

back in the old Ultima Online days, I sold my first account for over 1k before ebay was popular..

When I went back to UO after realizing EQ was THE SHITTIEST GAME EVER!!! We used to go around new servers, farming up gold, buying house spots in awesome areas and selling those..

I funded a trip off selling houses, lol

Dire - You gotta spend like 24/7 farming,

back in the old Ultima Online days, I sold my first account for over 1k before ebay was popular..

When I went back to UO after realizing EQ was THE SHITTIEST GAME EVER!!! We used to go around new servers, farming up gold, buying house spots in awesome areas and selling those..

Haha, what shard did you play on?

1800champagne -

What the fuck is MMO? 

I sold a tower in Ultima online for 800 bucks

You can't really make money the way you used to in most MMO's. Dungeons are instanced meaning everyone gets a shot and most high end item is locked in one way or another to the player who acquired it.

Back when Everquest came out I got hooked right away. That game had no instances and everyone shared a single world (per server anyway) and items weren't bound to players (at least for the first 4 years). This created a real living and breathing economy through the demand of actually fucking rare shit, that at times could be the only one in existence.

I ran several characters at once with my ex wife and her brother. We could run multiple groups and would take over entire areas farming rare spawns. From 1999-2003 Everquest paid for my rent, college, a new car and everything in between. Just as an example, a single "Boots of Flowing Slime" sold for $250. We would get 9 pairs a week. And that's just one of the quick buck memories I have. There was much larger takes. I personally made around a 45k a year average from EQ from 1999-2003.

That whole phase in my life drove me in to a career in video games. I actually worked for SOE and was on the Everquest 2 dev team without much on paper qualifying me to get there. I was just obsessed with that entire world and knew everything about it and had intermediate IT skills.

I think most money is made streaming these days

Thacommish - 
TheVandalz - You can't really make money the way you used to in most MMO's. Dungeons are instanced meaning everyone gets a shot and most high end item is locked in one way or another to the player who acquired it.

Back when Everquest came out I got hooked right away. That game had no instances and everyone shared a single world (per server anyway) and items weren't bound to players (at least for the first 4 years). I ran several characters at once with my ex wife and her brother. We could run multiple groups and would take over entire areas farming rare spawns. From 1999-2003 Everquest paid for my rent, college, a new car and everything in between. Just as an example, a single "Boots of Flowing Slime" sold for $250. We would get 9 pairs a week. And that's just one of the quick buck memories I have. There was much larger takes. I personally made around a 45k a year average from EQ from 1999-2003.

That whole phase in my life drove me in to a career in video games. I actually worked for SOE and was on the Everquest 2 dev team without much on paper qualifying me to get there. I was just obsessed with that entire world and knew everything about it and had intermediate IT skills.

Handjob for SoW or wha?

Nope, but I would sell Cloak of Flames or Blades of Carnages for $1000 each! They were just very hard to get and keep away from being guild property.

TheVandalz -
Thacommish - 
TheVandalz - You can't really make money the way you used to in most MMO's. Dungeons are instanced meaning everyone gets a shot and most high end item is locked in one way or another to the player who acquired it.

Back when Everquest came out I got hooked right away. That game had no instances and everyone shared a single world (per server anyway) and items weren't bound to players (at least for the first 4 years). I ran several characters at once with my ex wife and her brother. We could run multiple groups and would take over entire areas farming rare spawns. From 1999-2003 Everquest paid for my rent, college, a new car and everything in between. Just as an example, a single "Boots of Flowing Slime" sold for $250. We would get 9 pairs a week. And that's just one of the quick buck memories I have. There was much larger takes. I personally made around a 45k a year average from EQ from 1999-2003.

Handjob for SoW or wha?

Nope, but I would sell Cloak of Flames or Blades of Carnages for $1000 each! They were just very hard to get and keep away from being guild property.
SoW and invis plz

EQOA is still the best MMO ever created.

Instanced dungeons are lame as fuck(even though I've put hours into WoW) and I feel really started "casualizing" MMOs.

Isaac298 - I think most money is made streaming these days
yeah gotta be

GenErick - 
Dire - You gotta spend like 24/7 farming,

Haha, what shard did you play on?

Napa Valley from start of server, then to Siege when it came out, stayed there until I quit...

I was actually interviewed on the BattleVortex radio show, before he got famous and started to interview the Designers, I was like 3rd person on it actually LOL, probably 14 at the time, wish it still was there :P

TheVandalz - You can't really make money the way you used to in most MMO's. Dungeons are instanced meaning everyone gets a shot and most high end item is locked in one way or another to the player who acquired it.

Back when Everquest came out I got hooked right away. That game had no instances and everyone shared a single world (per server anyway) and items weren't bound to players (at least for the first 4 years). This created a real living and breathing economy through the demand of actually fucking rare shit, that at times could be the only one in existence.

I ran several characters at once with my ex wife and her brother. We could run multiple groups and would take over entire areas farming rare spawns. From 1999-2003 Everquest paid for my rent, college, a new car and everything in between. Just as an example, a single "Boots of Flowing Slime" sold for $250. We would get 9 pairs a week. And that's just one of the quick buck memories I have. There was much larger takes. I personally made around a 45k a year average from EQ from 1999-2003.

More stories please.

Lulz McGee - 
TheVandalz -
Thacommish - 

Handjob for SoW or wha?

SoW and invis plz

EQOA is still the best MMO ever created.

Instanced dungeons are lame as fuck(even though I've put hours into WoW) and I feel really started "casualizing" MMOs.

EQ was pretty much my entire life from 1999 til 2015 from hobby to career up until SOE fired everyone, myself included, and became Daybreak...

Yesss, I did the exact same thing. I was one of the first few people to get to 99 runecrafting and made bank off of it. Then got into staking and luring rates. I think I made over 10k before getting banned.

I remember on Lanys T'Vyl server there was a guy named Maldan who had all the high level shit on EQ. He would be found in East Commonlands and was like below level 10. 

I used to be a game counselor (blue robe) on Ultima Online as well

didnt get paid for it,  but my account was free

cyberc92 -

I remember on Lanys T'Vyl server there was a guy named Maldan who had all the high level shit on EQ. He would be found in East Commonlands and was like below level 10. 

I imagine every server had a guy like that. Where they'd spend ALL day on Sunday buying and selling in the commons, collecting rare shit, getting awesome gear that was well above their level.

The guy on Quellios who did that had full Rubicite armor that he'd wear to the east commons bazaar. And this was well, well, well after Ruby armor stopped dropping.