Can you strike?

If you train judo exclusively, do you have any striking skills to speak of? Did you ever get any atemi training? Does it just sort of filter into your training?

yes, it was discussed specifically and at length.

no real sparring with it during class tho, but outside...

most involved closing the gap, or opening a gap beyond striking range.

no real discussion of trading blows.

vital areas (not pressure points, but like neck, balls, solar plexus and such).

hitting during standard balance taking and with grips, like pulling them into a neck chop.

also striking from grip breaks (mostly gi-less grips).

Never used it outside of class, although if I was in a situation that resembled it, I'm sure it would work. Not sure how well it'd work in a boxing match, but that was never the point.

Only time I ever used judo, I didn't strike, just used a standing ude to threaten bashing his face into a desk, and o soto'ed him when he jerked backwards. he went over like nothing, and I yanked him onto his ass and knelt for the rear naked.

Realized this wasn't a self defense drill, and he didn't know how to tap, got up, walked away before choking him out.

Not here. I guess it depends on how your school practicies. My is all competetive so outside of the few grapplers among us doing leglocks we don't do anything outside of competition rules.

I'm just wondering what a judo man does in, say, a bar fight. Signal, sounds like you may have had an exception to the rule. I figure a straight up judo man takes a few blows getting in and then bombs his opponent down.

From personal xp it's all about the tactics. Just like the old school bjjers winning MMA with no real striking training at all. Stay the hell away from punch range. Force the person to kick. When he kicks ither jump out of the kick and charge or soak it up and charge. From kick position the person would not be able to throw much punches. And then you can do what ever your heart desires.

Up close most people get grips. i.e. push and showe. grip shirts. swear at each other and then throw down. For a judoka this is great cause if you thinking one step ahead you'll have a good grip when the it comes down.

Plus in 99% of barfights being untrained in punching merely puts you on equal footing with you adversary. By far the vast majority of people don't know how to strike.

As a bouncer I'm not allowed to strike at all. And i'd stay away from my judo as well. Don't want to throw someone down. There is so much broken glass where i work that the guy might just get impaled and die.

edit: which makes me smile when i hear all the bjjers talk about how good their art is for every situation. No way in hell i'm going to the ground. None at all. Just not going to happ. broken glass and drunken oblivious dancers make one a very unhappy, bleeding and trampled individual.

I'm just wondering what a judo man does in, say, a bar fight.

1. most fights start very close to each other and there will usually be very little mtion before they combatants reach clinch range. life isn't like the cage or mat, you don't usually get the opporitunity to get prepared before hand and meet from across the room. usually it's a guy standing right next to you and involves a push, chest puffing, a hockey pull etc..

2. many times one person will have an advantage. he may be sitting while your standing, he may sucker punch you etc..

3. If I didn't have confidence in my striking (or was taking a beating from a better striker) it's a very good strategy to just shell up (think peek a boo guard) and move into the clinch.

This kind of talk makes me think yet again that one could get through life just fine with only one martial art, and that's judo. I think this a lot.

You can go through life fine without trianing anything or you can train any MA and it will still do fine. In a bar fight averge patron vs a solid tkd i'd prolly bet tkd. It doesn't matter what you do. As long as you are fit, keep cool before the confrontation and keep cool during you will be fine. MA will merely make you feel confident in what you are doing which in a winable fight will take you a good way.

Plus there is no point in fighting in bars. You'll never finish. There are many bored men there that get payed to be there and break up fights. They'll stop you before anything gets proven.

And on the street knife-do, sukerpunch-do, lotsoffriends-do,baseballbat-do, gun-do etc will make your mad skill in any MA useless. The bold guy in KOTC was a fighter. Tire iron to the back of the head and so much for his skills. World champ kickboxer was all happy with his art untill a guy who prolly never seen inside of the gym shot him dead and drove off.

Most men can go through adult life without much or any fighting as long as they keep a cool head. You just have to know how to avoid confrontation.

"You can go through life fine without trianing anything or you can train any MA and it will still do fine. In a bar fight averge patron vs a solid tkd i'd prolly bet tkd."

truer, anti-mma dogma words have never been spoken on mma.tv

BIC wrote, "1. most fights start very close to each other and there will usually be very little mtion before they combatants reach clinch range. life isn't like the cage or mat, you don't usually get the opporitunity to get prepared before hand and meet from across the room. usually it's a guy standing right next to you and involves a push, chest puffing, a hockey pull etc..

1. many times one person will have an advantage. he may be sitting while your standing, he may sucker punch you etc..

2. If I didn't have confidence in my striking (or was taking a beating from a better striker) it's a very good strategy to just shell up (think peek a boo guard) and move into the clinch."

Every judoka, BJJer, wrestler or grappler should at least learn how to elbow, headbutt and knee. These are the tools that are perfect for for the range in which they operate and are much easier to learn than kickboxing. These tools can be fight-enders or act as the setups for a throw.

I find that when training grappling with strikes, opportunities for takedowns and submissions increases. Just my experience...