Canada: Data-collection got green light in 2011

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/data-collection-program-got-green-light-from-mackay-in-2011/article12444909/#dashboard/follows/

"Data-collection program got green light from MacKay in 2011

Defence Minister Peter MacKay approved a secret electronic eavesdropping program that scours global telephone records and Internet data trails – including those of Canadians – for patterns of suspicious activity.

Mr. MacKay signed a ministerial directive formally renewing the government’s “metadata” surveillance program on Nov. 21, 2011, according to records obtained by The Globe and Mail. The program had been placed on a lengthy hiatus, according to the documents, after a federal watchdog agency raised concerns that it could lead to warrantless surveillance of Canadians."...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/data-collection-program-got-green-light-from-mackay-in-2011/article12444909/#dashboard/follows/

"There is little public information about the program, which is the subject of Access to Information requests that have returned hundreds of pages of records, with many passages blacked out on grounds of national security.

It was first explicitly approved in a secret decree signed in 2005 by Bill Graham, defence minister in Paul Martin’s Liberal government."

So this program started under the liberals in 2005, then was green lighted by the conservatives in 2011.

The liberals and conservatives are becoming closer and closer by the year.

Vitor29 - I'm not surprised. This program may be hiatus but I'm sure they have others that are secret that are operating as planned.

Ya I'm not surprised either. I would be surprised if this program is actually on hiatus though.

Here's the craziest part...

The Head of Senate anti-terror committee unaware of metadata spying program.

"Conservative Senator Hugh Segal, who vets security laws as chair of the special Senate committee on anti-terrorism, said in an interview that he and other parliamentarians learned of the program’s existence only when they read about it in The Globe and Mail this week."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/head-of-canadas-anti-terror-committee-unaware-of-metadata-spying-program/article12506212/

Foos - So this program started under the liberals in 2005, then was green lighted by the conservatives in 2011.

The liberals and conservatives are becoming closer and closer by the year.

It's true.

Take a look at the votes for some recent bills.

Here is who voted for the controversial S-7 Anti-Terrorism bill, which includes 'Preventative Detention' (Can be arrested and held for three days without charge, then given probation without charge or conviction) and 'Secret Hearings'.

This bill extended for another five years certain provisions under the 'Anti-Terrorism Act (2001)', which was created by Liberals as a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11.

Cons - 100% Yay
Libs - 100% Yay
NDP - 100% Nay
Bloc - 100% Nay
Green - 100% Nay

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HouseChamberBusiness/ChamberVoteDetail.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=1&Vote=666&GroupBy=member&FltrParl=41&FltrSes=1

Time to vote green.

Every MP or political party that screws us should not get votes in the next election, regardless of standard party affiliations. Maybe then they will understand that they need to work for us, or they won't be around long enough to qualify for their pensions. Keep voting them all out, one after another, every single election until the message sticks.

It kills me that the current gov't used prorogation and unprecedented two times to avoid scandal, then was found in contempt of parliament, again unprecedented, then they were given a majority government.

We as voters (and non-voters) continue to enforce this behaviour so there is no incentive to change, hence we get exactly what we deserve. Barf.

Recently during BC's provincial elections the Conservative mayor of my town was endorsing the Liberals because they had a better chance of beating the NDP then the Conservative candidate. Needless to say, this pissed off a few people.

The Liberals were also on board for the Conservatives plan to introduce mandatory minimum sentences for drug offenses (6 marijuana plants = mandatory 6 month jail sentence). There was a huge backlash from Liberal supporters so the liberal party did back down on that one.

Kamikaze Emu - Time to vote green.

Every MP or political party that screws us should not get votes in the next election, regardless of standard party affiliations. Maybe then they will understand that they need to work for us, or they won't be around long enough to qualify for their pensions. Keep voting them all out, one after another, every single election until the message sticks.

It kills me that the current gov't used prorogation and unprecedented two times to avoid scandal, then was found in contempt of parliament, again unprecedented, then they were given a majority government.

We as voters (and non-voters) continue to enforce this behaviour so there is no incentive to change, hence we get exactly what we deserve. Barf.

I was hugely disappointed in my country for giving the Harper government a majority government.

Though apparently there was some fuckery going on with that vote, with the robo-call scandal.

What do you think about the NDP? Am I naive to think that they may have some morals left?

ttt