CANADIAN FIGHTER OF THE YEAR 2003?

I dont think Carlos and Gary can be included in this. They are in a league of their own. But its nice to see all the Canadians knocking on their door.

Denis Kang #1!

Busy, winning and looking towards the future.

Its between Crow and Kang...any cards in january? Let them fight for # 1 :)

Congrats to all Canadian fighters for a great year!!!

Pete

I just threw St Pierr's name in there. I know he only fought twice. I give the Fighter of th year to Denis Kang.

Carlos Newton !!!

What ever happened to Harold Howard?

Carlos Newton! Are you guys in sane? He beat Renzo.

Just becuase he has been the man every year, does not mean that he should get less recognition for it.

I think you mistook my comment , I wasn't taking anything away from Carlos he is the top Canadian period, I think "fighter of the year" should go to the person we pushed his personal limits, went out to fight, and put it on the line so to speak to further his career theirfore my vote is for Denis Kang, not because what I felt he did was any "better" then what Carlos did. I feel Denis took himself on a few occasions in 2003 to "his" next level .If we judge this catagory on who faught in the biggest show or who faught the biggest name I think we never take in several of the biggest things in a individual sport like MMA as factors, the biggest being I believe personal growth as a fighter or "evolving" so to speak and the "balls" it takes to achieve that.This sport has many variables and I believe Denis stepped up his game in stand-up, ground and transition. Carlos is the most successfull fighter in Canada to date period , what he did in Pride stands for that,he handed Renzo his 5th loss ( his 4th by decision, 1-5 )since the summer of 2000 that is awesome, and Carlos did great in his loss to Silva, who was on his own win streak , two great fights for Carlos in 2003 1-1 he stepped up big time. I feel Denis Kang embodies what in my opinion "fighter of the year" should be .
Les Dickens
Shut-up and Fight

I gave Denis #1 for the year because not only was he successful in the ring, he seems to have taken his strength & conditioning, mental aspects, and all round abilities to a new level.

C

Gotta agree with Shutupandfight 100%. Well put.

Kang 100%

simple- Newton, he only fights the best.

Shutupandfight,

Sounds good but that is a much more tightly defined criteria now then in the original post:

"Who do you think did enough this year to be CANADA's fighter of the year?"

Newgrappler

Shutupandfight" posts are the ones that made this thread so defined I don't understand your question as his posts were very descriptive. As a matter of fact I put Carlos as fighter of the year looking at the big names he fought last year, shutupandfight's outlook was very in depth taking into account Denis's willingness to go where ever and fight whoever is in front of him to get to the next level rather than fighting locally and fight in a comfortable setting which taking Carlos out of it would make Denis the fighter of the year hands down. Carlos is truly awesome and is at the level where Big Shows are all he fights on and with that comes big fights where as Denis and others are searching for their shot at the top and willing to do whatever it takes to get there. Carlos deserves his spot up top as he has fought many years to get there but there are an eleit few in this country knocking at the door and guys like Dennis, Mahood, Brown, Gil and Louseau deserve added attention.

ojja, Your right. I didn't word that post the way I was thinking. New here and getting used to the way the threads go.

I would have to say the Crow. Newton is obvious, but he does great every year!