Car navigation update discs or USB?

Anywhere to get these for a reasonable amount? Honda wants $179 + shipping. Very quick search yielded nothing secondhand. Anyone know something I don't?

Ebay? Seems to be a surplus on there with a quick search.

Pat Giles - Ebay? Seems to be a surplus on there with a quick search.
It only showed me the whole units with the harness. I'll check murrican Ebay, thanks

eBay, or find a forum that is dedicated to just your car

Hmm further dumb question...

If my car is a 2012, do I want the 2012 disc? Or will every subsequent year give me more up to date maps?

People still use car nav?

Macallan12 - People still use car nav?
Why wouldn't I?

MayorPickle -
Why wouldn"t I?

Cause they generally blow goats compared to phone nav systems. 

And yes, you can put a recent disk in an older model car to update it. That's the point. But you're right in that Honda is FUCKING NUTS if they think I'm paying $100+ for that silly shit. I got a 2 year old disk on eBay a few years ago for about half price. But I looked recently and while there were some there, they were almost as much as what Honda charges. 

pfsjkd -
MayorPickle -
Why wouldn"t I?

Cause they generally blow goats compared to phone nav systems. 

And yes, you can put a recent disk in an older model car to update it. That's the point. But you're right in that Honda is FUCKING NUTS if they think I'm paying $100+ for that silly shit. I got a 2 year old disk on eBay a few years ago for about half price. But I looked recently and while there were some there, they were almost as much as what Honda charges. 

I will say I prefer the Google Maps layout, but the convenience of the in dash nav versus having to look down at the phone, grabbing the phone to input destination, data + battery drain makes me lean towards in dash nav. The updates are the only real pain in the ass, but I figure if I update once I'm good to go for a long ass time

MayorPickle - Hmm further dumb question...

If my car is a 2012, do I want the 2012 disc? Or will every subsequent year give me more up to date maps?

You'd want the newest DVD set that you can get.  So if you can find 2016 or 2017 you'd want those.  Different models have different compatible DVD's.  Honda/Acura goes by colors and they update each color every year and it's like $100 when they're on special.

You might get lucky and find a torrent with your model.  Sometimes they have special burning instructions to get them to work.  For example I know one model you have to use a certain brand DVD and burn it very slowly for it to work.

I only use google maps. I have a Honda and a built in NAV i never use. Not going to bother with updating maps when I can just easily use my cell phone. Get a vent mount and use your phone. 

^Don't know if this is what you'll need if you get a USB copy or if this is actually where you can download map updates.  Worth a look.

https://honda.garmin.com/honda/#getStarted

Here too.

http://www.freemapupdates.com/honda-navigation-dvd-2015/