Carano/Cyborg Grappling Question

I confess that I don't know a lot about either fighter, but I can't wait to watch the fight.

It sounds like this will be a standup war, and I haven't heard much talk about their grappling skills. What are their backgrounds in grappling, and will either fighter be trying to take this fight to the mat? Thanks.

Cyborg has way better wrestling. I am not sure why everyone talks about it being a stand up war. I think Gina gets taken down and pounded a lot. What happens in the telling rounds 4 and 5 will depend on the degree of their conditioning, and the depth of their hearts.

I am concernsd that given how tough they are, and the length of the rounds, that they get pretty banged up. Soft tissue damage is no big deal in fighting, but this is the highest profile female fight ever, and it could be difficult for women's MMA if anyone gets too banged up looking.

Thanks Kirik. I'm really hoping they show some technical grappling skills.

There is a local female boxer/kickboxer who's in the newspaper a lot (she's really good, but I'm sorry I can't remember her name). She says she's getting into MMA now and thinks MMA is "standup with a little bit of wrestling". I hope she watches the fight and learns something.

kobald is not a better wrestler and she is not nearly as strong..plus kobold's striking is not nearly as fierce

Cyborg competed with Brazil's national wrestling team. I don't think Gina will be easy to take down.

Do either one of them hold a high rank in BJJ?

Kirik - I am concernsd that given how tough they are, and the length of the rounds, that they get pretty banged up. Soft tissue damage is no big deal in fighting, but this is the highest profile female fight ever, and it could be difficult for women's MMA if anyone gets too banged up looking.

Just got done talking about this.  We hardcores probably wont care if either one is a bloody mess, but to the casual fan....  This may be the biggest and the last headline female fight for a major org on a major channel for a loooooong time.

fiercedragon - imo kobald has better wrestling than cris and she couldn't get gina down...

No she doesn't and yes she did.

Bubbamaker - Do either one of them hold a high rank in BJJ?

Cris Santos has a purple belt. Not sure about Carano.

It's kind of neat how people are taking a real interest in this. It wasn't long ago that there was a prevailing "who gives a fuck?" attitude toward women's mma.

I think they said 5 minute rounds.

Of Course Im madly in love with Gina and will be rooting for her, but that said Cyborg has the advantage. Being so aggressive and hard hitting, takedowns will come easier than for any other opponent IMO. She is very strong so her control should be good, and as a purple, she DEF has the ability to land a rear naked or a guillotine.
I also fear the damage and the public's opinion of it.
This may be Gina's last fight as an undefeated woman.

exactly! didn't she outweigh her by 20lbs or so?

everyone on the UG has been praying for someone to beat Gina, well, tonight it might happen. But I hope not.