Career advice

Nah, I was joking. Get fucked up and 2am drunk dial them and leave messages. Make sure to drop a few “fucking deserve it”s!

1 Like

go for it bro. they’ll respect you more for asking. no matter what the result. they’re probably expecting it if you’ve shown that you’re going above and beyond.

1 Like

That’s a better plan actually

1 Like

do the harder thing

I’d probably wait too, that guy is an idiot lol. You don’t want to ask same time everyone else is because you don’t want the boss to look at your raise and multiple it by every employee in his head… like if you want 20,000 more a year and they have 200 employees, he’s thinking in his head this is going to cost him 4,000,000 a year lol, you want to be considered individually… so yeah probably July is better.

Such a fuckin moron. When I pulled him aside he got all defensive and was looking at me like I was the corporate asshole who doesn’t know shit. Then his boys started going in on him about it and you could just see on his face he knew he fucked up

1 Like

Sounds like he showed no fear and punked you out.

3 Likes

He definitely punked me. I’ve gone soft in my corporate position and he knew it

1 Like

take em bowling, Goodluck OP

3 Likes

There’s your answer. Be assertive.

They need you more than you need them. Act as such. That doesn’t mean be an asshole about it. But go into the conversation with that confidence.

Being willing to walk away is often the greatest leverage one has in these situations. And that willingness comes from the knowledge that your skill set is marketable.

3 Likes

I agree with this. Make your pitch, but be prepared to be disappointed and have a plan B if you don’t get what you want. Don’t be emotional about it, it’s just business.

I know changing employers can be scary, but usually that’s what it takes to advance.

3 Likes

Welp. The plot thickens.

I tested the waters of free agency and instantly got an offer for 20k more than I make now. I just finished up a 3 rounder for a gig that pretty much doubles my salary and then some. I’m pretty hopeful on that. I would like my company to counter but idk how high they’ll go.

Have a meeting tomorrow with my boss. The catch is because we are both slammed and overwhelmed. I had a pretty big fuck up Tuesday. Something slipped through the cracks on my end but I took initiative and fixed the issue which both pissed off and impressed my boss at the same time.

At the end of the day, I’m severely undervalued in comparison to what I’ve seen on the market but I don’t want to leave. Do I throw the offer on the table right off the bat or or let it simmer until I hear back from latest company I interviewed with?

3 Likes

The age - old advice is to never accept counter offers. The minute your current employer gets you to stay, they plan to replace you.

In the current employment market, it’s tough to say if that still holds. I suspect that the coming recession is going to be a giant reset for this job market, returning all bargaining power to employers. With this in mind, money might not be the number one consideration if you’re concerned about staying employed in the downturn.

Don’t mention the new offer. Just present what you are seeking. Your company should see your value and be willing to give what you are asking. If they do it solely because you have a competing offer, they don’t value you enough, and are only matching the offer to eliminate their need to replace a person who they view as a cog in the machine. Ask for what you believe you are worth. Expect a counteroffer. If you can meet somewhere that allows you to feel valued and is worth you staying, great. If you can’t, part ways amicably and always maintain contact. You may be seeking opportunities down the road and the way you leave will determine whether or not you are considered “re-hirable” down the line.

Most important- before ANYTHING else, make sure that you have the competing offer in writing and that they are ready for you to start in the immediate future. These days, getting an offer doesn’t really have a lot of value until you are “in”.

1 Like

I accepted a counter offer once and they didn’t hold up their end of the deal

People in my industry often take vacation days to go work somewhere else and then either go back at the end or not

1 Like

Relevant

1 Like

No, go to your boss.

If he shuts you down it will be much easier to start looking at other companies for a huge increase on your next job.

We’ll just had the meeting with my boss.

I threw the offer on the table. Boss was super bummed. The meeting was about me getting a raise and handling the fuck up like a champ. Lol what timing.

The raise is only 10k more. She’s going to go back to the big dogs and see if she can get 10 more out of them. Terrible terrible timing.

1 Like

No it’s not.

It’s actually great timing and you will get your 20k more

This is the way

3 Likes