Carlson Gracie's History?

you also had oswaldo fadda i believe. fadda still has a small group of students but they dont compete. the rumor is they are about 60/40 when it comes to time spent training ground/standing.

interesting stuff. who started the luta livre stuff, i wonder?

Amechi. I wonder the same thing.

The luta livre thing was started by beto leitao's father (I forgot his name). Beto is an excellent wrestler from Brazil who has competed at the highest level in Greco, I believe. I remember Darrell Gholar had mentioned that he wrestled against Beto years ago in one of the International wrestling meets and Gholar had nothing but good things to say about Beto's skills.

Beto is the wrestling coach for RVT. You will always see him in the corner of Marco or Pedro.

To say Helios sons never won anything or are not "phenoms" is false.

Royler Gracie is one of the most decorated sport
Jui-Jitsu Champions ever.

Rickson Gracie won every tournament back when he was competing
winning I believe all of them by submission.

As for MMA Rickson can command almost any price if he ever chooses
to fight again, and remains undefeated in NHB all wins by submission.

Royce Gracie has only lost NHB to Sakuraba who has also defeated,
Royler, Renzo and a much larger Conan Silveriera.

Royler continiues to fight NHB just winning at Rumble on the Rock and
competing at ADCC.

Rorions ability as an Instructor will be on display as Ryron, Rener and
Ralek get older and get involved in NHB and other competitions.

Thats not to say any thing against Carlson he has great students also.

ttt

I met Carlson at a bar watching the UFC once (Danny K's in Orange). He is a very nice guy. We had some language barriers but we ended up with him sitting at our table hanging out all night. Ironically this was a IFC Vitor was supposed to be in but dropped out and Vitor split with Carlson very soon after.

Helio's version of history is inaccurate. It is sad because I have lost a lot of respect for him as a result and I would have had more respect had he not been involved in Rorions lies.

I'm a current Carlson student in Chicago. This guy has
so much passion for jiujitsu it's amazing. When he
talks about the past he doesn't really sound bitter,
but he's so passionate he gets really fired up about
small things. When he talks in english he is yelling
all the time and people think he's mad. He's not mad,
that's just the way her talks. From the three years
I've known him I've learned that he cares about his
students, about jiujitsu and about loyalty. Money
appears very, very low on his list.

I read here that oswaldo fadda was a student of Luiz Franca who along with Carlos was an original student of Maeda.

http://www.onzuka.com/graciehistory.html

the fadda sect had a website a few years back and they said that oswaldo learned from maeda

Hey matt,  how did Carlson end up in Chicago?  I always thought brazilians were allergic to the cold.  :) 

I also train under Carlson in Chicago. What is most amazing is that Carlson teaches many of the classes and demonstrates a lot of the techniques. I know world champion blackbelts who turn green with envy when told that Carlson actually teaches many of the classes. There is no doubt that if you train at our school in Chicago Carlson can help turn you into a formidable force on the mat. He does, however, expect loyalty. Not money, but loyalty.

Aaron

P.S. He's adapted to the cold well.

We need a carlson Gracie Q&A forum