Carlson's senior Black Belts

Malachy Friedman - liborio and conan are 7th

Did Conan get that rank from Carlson...? I know he was a BB under him, then got "kicked out". I don't think he was a 7th degree BB when he got kicked out.

Anyone know?

De La Flippin' Riva, y'all.

Liborio,Conan, Sperry were all 3 rd degrees when they were expelled by Carlson while Bustamante was 4 th degree.

graciesrule - Liborio,Conan, Sperry were all 3 rd degrees when they were expelled by Carlson while Bustamante was 4 th degree.

why were they expelled?

graciesrule - Liborio,Conan, Sperry were all 3 rd degrees when they were expelled by Carlson while Bustamante was 4 th degree.

That makes sense, thanks.

money issues

sufferingsuckatash - 

why were they expelled?
You can find it a bunch of places on the interwebs. Its a long story. 

Francisco Pereira da Silva, also known as Master Indio promoted Liborio and Conan to the red & black belt (7th degree).

I don't know who Master Indio is (which means nothing) but he is supposedly an old school Carlson black belt. However, I don't see his name listed anywhere on the supposed list of "all" of Carlson's black belts.

What really doesn't make sense to me is this; Marcus Soares is a 7th degree and is the person who awarded De La Riva his blue belt. De La Riva is a 5th degree and is the person who awarded Liborio his blue belt.

How is Liborio the same rank as Marcus Soares (7th degree) and DLR is only a 5th?

Marcelo Saporito has to be up there in rank

RealPosition - Francisco Pereira da Silva, also known as Master Indio promoted Liborio and Conan to the red & black belt (7th degree).

I don't know who Master Indio is (which means nothing) but he is supposedly an old school Carlson black belt. However, I don't see his name listed anywhere on the supposed list of "all" of Carlson's black belts.

What really doesn't make sense to me is this; Marcus Soares is a 7th degree and is the person who awarded De La Riva his blue belt. De La Riva is a 5th degree and is the person who awarded Liborio his blue belt.

How is Liborio the same rank as Marcus Soares (7th degree) and DLR is only a 5th?

I think some people are including ranks Professors didn't get from Carlson; either ranks they got since Carlson passed away or got somehow after separating from Carlson.

We should differentiate between the two (i.e. someone is a 7th degree now, but only got up to their 3rd degree or whatever from Carlson).

I was at the belt ceremony where Liborio and Conan promoted each other. I'm pretty sure they are red and black belts currently (7th degree?)

shen - I think some people are including ranks Professors didn't get from Carlson; either ranks they got since Carlson passed away or got somehow after separating from Carlson.

We should differentiate between the two (i.e. someone is a 7th degree now, but only got up to their 3rd degree or whatever from Carlson).

I understand that Shen but regardless of where they got their rank from it still doesn't explain how one guy can be a 7th degree when the person who promoted him to blue belt is still only a 5th.

Use your self for an example. You are a black belt. Lets say you promote on of your students to blue belt tomorrow. Now fast forward 25 years. He's a 7th degree and you're a 5th. WTF?

It's also important to remember that Carlson did not follow the 3 years and you're another degree rule that some schools use. Carlson basically gave out degrees when he wanted to. I'll use myself as an example. In one day my blackbelt went from no stripes to 4 stripes, all awarded by Carlson. I just so happened to have a really good tournament showing that year. Of course, my situation is a little different but it goes to show that Carlson used his own criteria when promoting people.

aaronlapoi - It's also important to remember that Carlson did not follow the 3 years and your another degree rule that some schools use. Carlson basically gave out degrees when he wanted to. I'll use myself as an example. In one day my blackbelt went from no stripes to 4 stripes, all awarded by Carlson. I just so happened to have a really good tournament showing that year. Of course, my situation is a little different but it goes to show that Carlson used his own criteria when promoting people.

as it should be.

he earned that right.

enjoy sdakota.

Thank you Aaron, that clears it up. I thought everybody got their stripes for time in grade from the Federation but no doubt, Carlson did whatever he wanted and as Empire pointed out "earned that right".

Also, congrats on your new job in South Dakota.

on a side note, is it taboo to wear a carlson gracie shirt but not be a member of his association?

i'm a fan.

Empire - on a side note, is it taboo to wear a carlson gracie shirt but not be a member of his association?

i'm a fan.

Wear it with pride bro.

When you are a 3 rd degree in 2000 and a 7 th degree in 2009 it makes t he rank look not to legit to go up 4 degrees in 9 yrs. Traditionally anything above 5 th takes 7-10 yrs each grade. This is what happens with self promotion . If the rank didnt come Robsons Federacao or Carlos jr Confederation or Helio/Carlson then it might be self promotion. And DLR should be minimum 6 th if not higher. I would never question Helios masters like Mansur, Barreto, Behring, Vigio, Hemeterio, Wriedt, etc promotions.

^hold on buddy. we are getting sick of your trolling.

serious question, where can i purchase a carlson gracie tshirt?