Carlson's senior Black Belts

"I would never question Helios masters like Mansur, Barreto, Behring, Vigio, Hemeterio, Wriedt, etc promotions."

You would never question Helios masters because????? Carlson nor his team for that matter never really went by said authority so Carlsons time table or the promotions of his higher belts may be a little off compared to Helios tradition timeline.....but who knows

stating self promotion towards some of the best this sport has produced is pretty insulting dont you think

Some BBs are perhaps "over ranked" while some black belts are perhaps "under ranked".

Stripes are a "nice tip of the hat" to a Black Belt who has been training & teaching BJJ a long time, but they don't really matter.

Unlike colored belts, Degrees of BB don't denote "skill" or "knowledge". Unlike, say TKD, there are no new forms or techniques to master to get a 2nd Degree Black Belt. Ranks past BB in BJJ are purely ceremonial.

Some people pay attention to stripes some don't. Some are in a political position to receive them, some are not.

It's kinda silly when people make a big deal about this guy is a "3rd degree", while this guy is a "5th degree". In a plenty of situations, the lower ranked guy is better and more skilled than the higher ranked guy.

Don't get me wrong: I too like to see deserving Professors get promoted, but the good ones don't really seem to care about it.

Like many of you, I have a Dan-rank in another martial art. I recall there were always guys who were good at playing the game to be promoted. They were essentially politicians. These were NEVER the best guys.

For this reason, I actually LIKE Carlos Gracie, Jr.'s/ CBJJ's method of awarding stripes to active BJJ players on a "set" schedule. Otherwise, ti becomes too political and creates a bunch of B.S. were the "in" guys get promoted while some highly skilled guys who are not on the "inside" get forgotten about. That kind of drama goes on in every martial art I have been a part of. I think it's best to have a system that avoids it.

FLMikeATT - I was at the belt ceremony where Liborio and Conan promoted each other. I'm pretty sure they are red and black belts currently (7th degree?)

Really...? Wow, that's kinda weird.

--I shouldn't say it's "weird" -- I mean it happens in every martial art in the world.

I guess they felt the CBJJ would never promote them or didn't want to be a part of that org and wanted to have "ATT ranks" or something.

Interesting.

Again, though like Real Position brings up, it's odd if you consider Prof. De La Riva in light of those two promotions.

That's why maybe it's best not to take this rank stuff TOO seriously; it will never accurately reflect who deserves what.

Empire - serious question, where can i purchase a carlson gracie tshirt?
Call Carlson Jr's school in Temecula. They have shirts,shorts, Gis and stuff with Carlson Sr's bulldogs on 'em.

951-837-9685

what about "Bolao"? he's gotta be up there too

What about Carlson Jr?

I think in BJJ stripes after black should simply be time.
They don't really matter and no one really cares.

LOL not even Rickson cares.

He only very recently put on the black&red belt even though he should have had it on a while ago. In his explanation, the black&red and red belt are only for old guys.

If Rickson doesn't care, neither should any of us.

Actually wearing the red and black belt means you are retired from competition. Thats why Rickson didnt wear it. If he didnt care about degrees he would of wore a plain black belt without the stripes.

When did Roger become the family champion ? Rickson still is to my knowledge . Plus they dont hold the private competitions anymore.

Lion Of Zion - As Conan showed Vs Wes Sims belts don't mean shit.

you're right. belts only don't mean anything... to people who are too lazy and/or unskilled to get them.

graciesrule - When did Roger become the family champion ? Rickson still is to my knowledge . Plus they dont hold the private competitions anymore.

when did roger become the family champion? when he won the world championship black belt adult absolute title in 2009.

winning the Mundials does not make Roger family champion since family champions were decided only with a Gracie vs Gracie and it was modified Vale tudo rules not sport Bjj rules.

Bolao was 5th degree last I trained with him.

graciesrule - Actually wearing the red and black belt means you are retired from competition. Thats why Rickson didnt wear it. If he didnt care about degrees he would of wore a plain black belt without the stripes.

Really? I never knew it meant anything other than rank.

graciesrule - When did Roger become the family champion ? Rickson still is to my knowledge . Plus they dont hold the private competitions anymore.

A few years ago at one the ADCC's that Roger dominated (2005 where he submitted all 8 opponents I think it was), Rickson was in attendance.

In an interview Rickson declared that Roger was the new family champion.

There was never any closed door family meets to determine it or anything like that.

RealPosition - Francisco Pereira da Silva, also known as Master Indio promoted Liborio and Conan to the red & black belt (7th degree).

I don't know who Master Indio is (which means nothing) but he is supposedly an old school Carlson black belt. However, I don't see his name listed anywhere on the supposed list of "all" of Carlson's black belts.

What really doesn't make sense to me is this; Marcus Soares is a 7th degree and is the person who awarded De La Riva his blue belt. De La Riva is a 5th degree and is the person who awarded Liborio his blue belt.

How is Liborio the same rank as Marcus Soares (7th degree) and DLR is only a 5th?

Mestre Grande Indio is an old Vale Tudo fighter from Brazil.

Some trivia, Mestre Grande Indio is also the father of Danilo "Indio" Villefort.

The correct answer is Marcus Soares, 7th degree Red-and-Black belt. Carlson gave it to him when he came up to do a seminar in Vancouver, BC 4 years ago.