Carnivore diet, 1 month in. It's working.

I've tried so many different diets through the years to lose weight. I've never had a issue with muscle gaining or strength. Recovery was a issue with my legs being dead for days after squatting. 

Recently I feel into abit of depression with some issues with kids and general life . Bad pysoarisis . No energy even though I was lifting 3 times a week with a active job and eating 3000+ Cal's a day. 

So I've been looking to change something as no matter what I can seem to excel physically and now I'm 36 I've been getting some aches in joints etc. 

I decided just to try a reset diet after looking at keto etc I found this diet from Rogan(as usual). 

So I've been eating exclusively animal products. Very little.dairy. no carbs /sugar and no plant products. 

I've lost 20lbs. My deads have went up 24kg after stallingsfor months . My recover is great. Little to no doms no matter how hard I go. 

My mental state is greatly improved while my situation is still the same. Joint pain is away and my skin condition is almost away. 

Had my blood pressure etc done. It's not been this good since I played rugby in my early 20s .

It's a jump but I can't see any better way to eat now I've started down this path.

Anyone else tried it? 

1 Like

Im on day 2.   I'm also 36.  Been overweight for awhile.  I eat like shit.  I farm and also work full time fixing copiers so I'm on the road alot and end up eating shitty fast food/gas station hot meals 2-3 times a day.   Also incorporating intermittent fasting since I'm out of the house all day.    I eneegy crash alot during the day so hoping this helps.   

Are you incorporating organ meats like liver for the nutrients content or are you just eating standard meat cuts?  

Going to be making some beef broth in a couple days from some marrow bones and oxtails.  

What do you eat in a typical day?

I started eating better four weeks ago and have lost 23 pounds. I eliminated most things and eat mostly meat and vegetables.

I make bone broth every weekend and make 7 servings.  I have one of those every day.  One meal will be the meat and marrow from the oxtail and bones I used to make the broth. Then usually steak or roast, whatever is on sale.    Some days it's just the broth.    I eat once a day and I'm rarely hungry. 

2 Likes
sewich - 

I make bone broth every weekend and make 7 servings.  I have one of those every day.  One meal will be the meat and marrow from the oxtail and bones I used to make the broth. Then usually steak or roast, whatever is on sale.    Some days it's just the broth.    I eat once a day and I'm rarely hungry. 

How many ounces is each serving of broth?

Do you drink it all with your meal or throughout the day?

How many ounces of meat do you eat for your one meal a day?

I don't really plan anything. I eat a lot of chicken thighs. mince and lamb liver.  some salmon and other fish. burgers and 8 buy a big roast every week and slice and cook it with spices. plus about 20eggs a week.  I work about 10hrs a day on my feet and can get through the day on 2 meals easy. it's simple and sustainable. 

I have the odd take out or something with the missus but try to meat v little carbs as it really agitates me now. man you feel the bloat.

feel better than I have since my early 20s. 

jlamb -
sewich - 

How many ounces is each serving of broth?

Do you drink it all with your meal or throughout the day?

How many ounces of meat do you eat for your one meal a day?

Usually about 2 cups worth per serving.    I heat i up and drink it with my meal in the evening.  I usually eat between 1-1.5 lbs of meat .   Some days more some days I can barely finish a 1 lb steak.  1-2 a week I will make liver which is usually only 1/2 a pound serving.  It amazes me how little in volume I eat now .  I use to down huge bowls of spaghetti and be ready for another meal a few hours later.   Obviously with the holidays I have reverted back to eating whatever for this week because I’m not missing my grandma’s mashed potatoes, stuffing and apple pies.  While I enjoy led the break I will be glad to get back to cutting that shit out.  I straight up fell asleep after the chirstmas meal and slept through everyone opening presents .   IbdefiI defi dobt miss the energy crashes .  

1 Like

I’ve been on it for 12 months and I’m never going back.  My best advice is to not cheat at all. Cheating once per week with a few fruit or sweets will set you back a few weeks, it’s honestly not worth it. Every time I cheated my joint/tendon pain returned and my skin condition worsened (acne, eczema). Whenever I was strict all those things were in complete remission.  

Edit: I stick to Ribeye, T-Bones, eggs, liver, a little cheese, water. Salt. 

sub like mu'fucka

Jus curious, how many have you have been properly tested for allergies, like from Cyrex or a similar company? I'm just wondering if there's a few things that are really fuckin up your skin/tendon pain etc or if you're able to actually eat a bit more variety than you're aware of currently.

1 Like

I've been on it for 1.5 years now. 

When I started it (age 29):

my body was breaking down after bilateral knee surgeries that were done within 2 months of each other (lesson learned). 

-I had 14+ tendons through out my body tear (not full ruptures). 

-bad acne since high school 

-thinning hair

-unable to build or maintain muscle mass

-serious depression problems 

-serious cognitive processing problems 

-brittle nails and painful cuticles 

-eczema 

-arthritis 

-ruptured quad and patella tendons on both knees that prevented me from leaving the house for months. 

-anxiety 

-inability to tan (burning/redness)

-frequent constipation 

-bad skin quality

ALL of those things have been resolved almost 100%, there's also plenty of other things that I'm forgetting. 

Doctors and pbysicla therapists told told me I would never walk normally again (1.5 years ago). 

Since then: I hit 300lb deadlift, 205lb squat, 185lb bench press (all pain free). 

Ive played a few game of basketball vs high school players that play for their school's team. 

I did a Spartan race. 

Hiked for 7 hours in mostly vertical terrain. 

I eat 3-4lb of ribeyes per day 

Sea salt

drink water and coffee (sometimes a bit of half and half). 

Eggs

cheeses 

bone broth 

once in a while I'll throw in an avocado or a fruit but I feel way better when I'm 100% strict carnivore. 

I felt way better after 20 months than I did after 16 months. And I felt 1000x better at 10 months than I did after 6 months. 

It seems that people see constant improvements on this diet as years go by. 

Dr. Shawn Baker, Dr Paul Saladino, Kevin Stock, and Sally Norton are great resources. 

Also check out meatbeals.com for more stories. 

Low carb/carnivore and fasting has changed my life.

I eat one meal per day. Dinner.

My own homemade In-N-Out flying dutchman.

I would guess you are feeling better from calorie restriction and cutting out processed carbs. 3000 cals a day is a lot (depending on your size and needs) and has a large metobaloic cost to digest. 

Most doctors would not recommend an all animal product diet, and while it may be good for short term gains and for a dietary reset, I think it will be bad for longevity and long term health. 

Andersons_Chin - 

I would guess you are feeling better from calorie restriction and cutting out processed carbs. 3000 cals a day is a lot (depending on your size and needs) and has a large metobaloic cost to digest. 

Most doctors would not recommend an all animal product diet, and while it may be good for short term gains and for a dietary reset, I think it will be bad for longevity and long term health. 

Post links to the results of randomized clinical trials that support your claim.

1 Like
forumnewb -
Andersons_Chin - 

Post links to the results of randomized clinical trials that support your claim.

Ha! I’m not a doctor. I don’t see any clinical trials supporting a carnivore diet. The dude on the Rogan podcast wasn’t even getting his blood work done. 

Extreme fad diets are typically not the healthiest, and most doctors would recommend eating a variety of whole, unprocessed foods. 

Andersons_Chin - 
forumnewb -
Andersons_Chin - 

Ha! I’m not a doctor. I don’t see any clinical trials supporting a carnivore diet. The dude on the Rogan podcast wasn’t even getting his blood work done. 

Extreme fad diets are typically not the healthiest, and most doctors would recommend eating a variety of whole, unprocessed foods. 

So you need to be a doctor to post links to randomized clinical trials?

Post Rogan podcast, which was over a year ago, Baker has discussed his blood test results numerous times on other podcasts - Dr. Drew, Mark Bell, etc

Other people who have been following the all meat diet have also discussed their own blood test results.

"most doctors would recommend eating a variety of whole, unprocessed foods. "

Doctors also used to recommend the food pyramid, whole grains, etc. - should we follow that?

Meat is whole and unprocessed. And it contains essential protein and fat, which is what the body needs to survive, there is scientific debate on this matter.

Thanks for playing kid, proud of you.

Are there randomized clinical trials suggesting an all meat diet is optimal? Can you share them?

There's plenty of evidence to suggest that diets rich in vegetables and fruit are good for health and longevity. (As well as some animal products.) Look up the blue zones. 

Many meat products are whole and unprocessed, and Eliminating the other processed garbage is probably why many people are finding success with it. In addition to calorie reduction. 

Whole grains can be a part of healthy balanced diet. The food pyramid is garbage and was funded by the grain producers of America. (Or some similar org) I don't suggest following it. 

If you are sharing ideas in a public forum, you should brace yourself for counterpoints and the discussion of ideas that don't rigidly comply with yours. Kid. 

Andersons_Chin - 

Are there randomized clinical trials suggesting an all meat diet is optimal? Can you share them?

There's plenty of evidence to suggest that diets rich in vegetables and fruit are good for health and longevity. (As well as some animal products.) Look up the blue zones. 

Many meat products are whole and unprocessed, and Eliminating the other processed garbage is probably why many people are finding success with it. In addition to calorie reduction. 

Whole grains can be a part of healthy balanced diet. The food pyramid is garbage and was funded by the grain producers of America. (Or some similar org) I don't suggest following it. 

If you are sharing ideas in a public forum, you should brace yourself for counterpoints and the discussion of ideas that don't rigidly comply with yours. Kid. 

Thanks for playing. Proud of you.

While I agree that people get results on this extreme protocol, I can not see how not eating fruits and veggies is sustainable in the long term. 

I fast every day and have a strict paleo diet with zero alcohol but fruit is plentiful and from nature. I have a really hard time getting my head around people not eating apples, bananas and berries. 

2 Likes
forumnewb -
Andersons_Chin - 
forumnewb -
Andersons_Chin - 

So you need to be a doctor to post links to randomized clinical trials?

Post Rogan podcast, which was over a year ago, Baker has discussed his blood test results numerous times on other podcasts - Dr. Drew, Mark Bell, etc

Other people who have been following the all meat diet have also discussed their own blood test results.

"most doctors would recommend eating a variety of whole, unprocessed foods. "

Doctors also used to recommend the food pyramid, whole grains, etc. - should we follow that?

Meat is whole and unprocessed. And it contains essential protein and fat, which is what the body needs to survive, there is scientific debate on this matter.

Thanks for playing kid, proud of you.

Go to nutritionfacts.org 

You can look up the studies yourself, have fun learning!