carpal tunnel symptoms, CT test results OK...?

Tests done for nerve pain in hand/arms, went to neurologist and hand therapists, Doctors aren't sure what is going on.

Any advice?

martinburke -  I would advise against DIY trigger point therapy on your longus colli: there are baroreceptors in the vicinity and you really don't want to fuck with them.

Try to find a good LMT familiar with thoracic outlet syndrome.
Interesting post. However, as the longus colli is a deep muscle on the anterior surface of the spinal column between the atlas and T-3 it would be nearly impossible to palpate or massage, since there are too many structures in the way.

hey, thanks for the info.

are any of the above techniques practiced by chiropractors or physical therapists, as my insurance doesn't cover massage therapy?

thanks again!

Martin, I agree that many DC's and Physical Terrorists take a patronizing view. Believe it or not, sometimes I hear this from LMT's as well. As a chiropractor, I think it's a shame and there's no reason the two professions can't work great together. I refer quite a few patients to a local massage therapist and the patients really see the benefit of going to both of us. As for me personally, when I do too much in the dojo another chiropractor and the massage therapist have their work cut out getting me back on track! Thank God for both!!!

Martin, have you heard of a technique called Pain Neutralization Technique? I have used it from time to time and I think it works near miracles for a lot of people. But since I don't do soft tissue very much any more I use it seldom. Ever heard of it? I might have some old DVD's of it laying around somewhere.

I had CTS symptoms about a year and a half ago and it got really bad... turned out it was actually a very tiny cyst that grew right on the nerve. Cortisone shot took care of it in a bout 4 weeks.

Good info from Martin Burke. I also treat most "carpal tunnel" complaints by treating the client's thoracic outlet syndrome. It is rare indeed for me to find a client with true carpal tunnel syndrome.

I also advise against DIY trigger point work in the anterior neck. Too many vulnerable structures for uneducated fingers to be digging around.

When seeking a massage therapist for this, be specific about what you want: someone highly skilled in treating thoracic outlet syndrome who can spend an hour or more working as they see fit. If they work for a chiro, PT, whatever and that person insists on directing the MT's work, look elsewhere.

Last - consider what you'd be willing to pay to be free of this pain, and how much you'll be paying in medical fees for office visits, deductibles, etc. already. Sometimes it's cheaper to just pay out of pocket for an expert massage therapist who doesn't bill insurance but still gets the job done so you can go on with life. If you're real lucky, you'll find one that can also teach you how to effectively stretch the problem areas so you recover faster and don't have a recurrence.

Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com

martinburke - Hi, Jason. Where've you been hiding? Haven't seen you post for a while.

The last thing you mentioned about people not wanting to pay a LMT...is one of the reasons I'm phasing out of massage.

Hi Martin -

I'm busy as hell with both training and bodywork clients. Maybe I'm just lucky, but haven't had any problems finding clients happy to pay for the work.

Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com