Cash Grab???!!!!!

I've gotten deliveries from the US and abroad for years and only 2 or 3 times have I been charged anything upon receit. Now, all of a sudden, I've been charged 3 times in a row, and not just taxed.

I received a one package from Gameness by mail and a few days later received a Purolator bill for $33, including a $5 'brokerage' fee. (I was also charged tax, I'm sure, on the US$29 shipping and handling).

Then I received another package from Sprawl in Syracuse (which I could drive to in a few hours), and had to pay $20 plus to UPS, including $15 for 'brokerage'.

Now I just received Levo's tapes and Canada Post wanted $20 including $5 'handling' fee.

I don't know WTF is going on, but having to pay the vendor P&H is understandable, having to pay the delivery company *again* for P&H is a rip off.

Vendors, please be careful how you ship, and please don't use companies that engage in such dubious business practices.

Just ship things regular mail with value for customs calculated to reduce money grabbing as much as possible.

*shaking head in disbelief*

Q: Who gave PBB Global Logistics authorization to clear my goods?
A: Revenue Canada, Customs and Excise, requires all importations to Canada to be duty and tax paid at the time of arrival. PBB Global Logistics is the contracted Canadian Handling agent for Purolator Courier, Airborne Express, The Universal Postal Union (EMS), and TNT. We will assist you in getting your package cleared through customs, or any other Government agency, with as little disruption to your express service as possible. We invoice each consignee directly for any duties/taxes and a minimal disbursement fee.

Q: I never ordered these items, what should I do so that I am not charged for anything?

A: If you choose to refuse the shipment, you will not be held responsible for any charges. If possible, please advise any PBB office of your refusal, and have the air waybill number available for reference. If you have accepted these items you will be responsible for any charges applied by Canada Customs and/or brokerage/freight forwarding company. However, if the goods are returned after delivery our PBB invoice is payable and you can file a claim with Revenue Canada to recover your GST. We can supply the B2G form.

Q: I thought free trade eliminated duties/taxes between our countries?

A: Revenue Canada is currently striving toward eliminating duties from participating NAFTA countries, however there are still certain items that are not covered or do not qualify for NAFTA. Also, GST (Goods and Services Tax) is still applicable for most goods entering Canada. In addition to GST, Revenue Canada has begun to collect provincial taxes on behalf of some provinces for personal shipments. If you are unsure if your product qualifies, a quick phone call to any PBB office will satisfy any of your questions.

Q: Why am I responsible and not the shipper? I thought everything was paid for?

A: When transporting goods into Canada the carrier is not the importer. The importer is the company or individual receiving the goods in Canada for their use or consumption in Canada. The exception to this is when a shipper or third party has stated that they will accept the responsibility and become the importer of record. This information should be provided on all shipping documentation to avoid any confusion. Freight or transportation charges may have been handled from point of origin, but duties and taxes are still outstanding. Duties and taxes are imposed on the shipment once it arrives into Canada. We require documentation in order for us to classify the goods correctly. PBB Global Logistics pays Revenue Canada on your behalf. We then bill you, the importer, for the duties and taxes paid out. To alleviate problems, please ask your shipper if duties/taxes and brokerage charges are included in the price or if you are responsible for these upon order.

Q. I plan on visiting the United States. If I send a gift to someone in my family, will they have to pay duties and taxes on what I send?

A. You are allowed to send gifts while you are abroad, however, the value must be less then Canadian $60.00 PER PERSON, and the commodity can not be alcoholic beverages, tobacco, or advertising matter. If you exceed the Canadian $60.00 PER PERSON limit, you will have to pay regular duties and taxes on the excess amount. It is always a good idea when shipping it to include a gift card or indicate that it is a gift on your package declaration form. Please ensure you have a separate itemized invoice for each person you are sending a gift to.

Q. I purchased an item that had to be sent back to the USA for repair, I'm worried I will have to pay duties and taxes again, are there any regulations for items just being repaired and sent back to Canada?
A. Here is a quick break down of how this works.

Goods returning to Canada: Duty free / GST exempt, value of goods required.

Goods returning to Canada after repair: Duty & GST is applicable on the repair value The value of goods and cost of repair is required.

Goods returned after repair under warranty: In a NAFTA country - Duty free/ GST exempt need value of goods Please indicate "free warranty repair" on your invoices.

Goods returned after repair in non-NAFTA country: Duty charged on repair value /GST exempt The value of goods and approximate value to repair are required Replacement parts covered under warranty in a NAFTA country: Duty free/GST exempt, please show the value of parts on your invoices

Replacement parts covered under warranty in non- NAFTA country: Dutiable/GST exempt The value of parts is required on your invoices IMPORTANT:

This has always caused a lot of confusion for many people, so if you don't understand, you're not alone. That's why we are here. If there are any questions you may still have, please feel free to email or phone any of the PBB offices and one of our friendly staff would be more then happy to assist you.

Q. I have heard these terms mentioned LVS, OIC, and Dutiable but do not understand what they mean or what they stand for .

A. Here is a breakdown of terms and their meanings are as follows:

OIC Stands for "Order In Council" meaning a shipment valued at less than $20.00 Canadian Funds. These shipments usually clear within minutes of arrival (subject to proper documentation, Customs inspection and release)

LVS Stands for "Low Value Shipment" meaning a shipment valued at less then $ 1600.00 but more then $ 20.00 Canadian Funds. These shipments usually clear with minutes of arrival (subject to proper documentation, Customs inspection and release)

Dutiable Any shipment valued at more then $1600.00 Canadian Funds. These shipments require formal entry presentation to Customs by a broker and warehousing by PBB Global Logistics, until release is obtained.

Similar thing has happened to me importing into Europe.

USPS seems to have changed its policies and that makes you much more likely to have to pay.

The biggest problem I have had is buying from World Martial Arts. Both times I've had to pay customs - the only time that has ever happened to me. So, I won't be buying from WMA again unfortunately :( since I pay an enormous amount for shipping, then get charged customs and then have to pay the additional fee to the delivery company.

The worst thing is that the delivery company have you by the balls and they *know* it.

that really sucks

rene.r...suggestion...maybe you should move to United States... ;o)

You sure order a lot of gear, big competitions coming up huh?

The stuff was not all for me. I would move to the U.S. but the high murder rate, lack of medical care, and all the Canadian-ex-pats make it less than attractive ;)