Casserly resigns as Texans GM!!!

Ding dong the witch is dead!!!

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9430063

Casserly resigns as Texans GM Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

HOUSTON (May 10, 2006) -- Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly resigned, saying he was leaving on his own terms to pursue a job in the NFL's front office.

There was speculation Casserly would be fired in the wake of the Texans' 2-14 season and their controversial choice for the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft.

"I have an interest in doing other things right now," he said. "This was not an easy decision, but it was a decision I felt I had to make at this point in time."
Casserly video
Charley Casserly

Charley Casserly's interview on Total Access following his resignation.
Click here to watch

The Texans passed over Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush and hometown favorite Vince Young to take defensive end Mario Williams with the top choice in last month's draft.

Many fans were outraged, but Texans owner Bob McNair said Casserly was never going to be fired. Casserly will officially step down June 1.

"We have gone through a lot of ups and downs and have had a lot of pleasurable moments together," McNair said. "We made an awful lot of progress. We had some disappointments last year, but I think we both feel we've got the cart back on the path and it's moving in the right direction."

Casserly had been with the Texans since the franchise joined the NFL six years ago. The Texans played their first season in 2002.

Charley Casserly's Texans were 18-46, but he made major changes before his exit.

Charley Casserly's Texans were 18-46, but he made major changes before his exit.

"I've been in this league 29 years," Casserly said. "I spent a lot of time talking about this with my family. We came to the same conclusion - the time was right to move on."

Casserly met with McNair on the morning of May 10, then spoke with the Texans' coaching staff and contacted Houston's scouts.

He plans to send a letter to the league office on May 11, officially applying to become the NFL's director of football operations.

"I've enjoyed my time here in Houston, I've enjoyed the relationships, especially with the staff," Casserly said. "I think anybody who comes in wanting to make any changes will be making a huge mistake."

McNair said he had no replacement candidates in mind.

"I have talked to no one. I have no list," McNair said.

Casserly had one year left on his contract. When last season ended, Casserly asked McNair if they could delay talk about Casserly's future until after the draft and McNair agreed.
Statement from Charley Casserly
"I've made a decision to move on from the Houston Texans. At this point in my life, I would like to pursue other professional opportunities.

I want to thank Bob McNair for the support and trust he has shown me since I arrived in Houston. We have worked long and hard to get the Texans moving in the right direction, and I believe the team is.

I want to thank the members of the football staff for their support and loyalty. We had a mission from Day 1 to mold the team and make the best decisions for the Texans.

I want to thank the Houston media for their cooperation over the past six years. You have been a big help in getting fans excited about football returning to Houston.

I would also like to thank the fans for their support and getting behind the team. You have a great foundation of players and a young and energetic head coach that is going to lead this team to success. Get behind Gary Kubiak, his staff and the players, because this team is headed for better days."

Casserly helped McNair hire Gary Kubiak as coach Dom Capers' replacement. Kubiak was disappointed to see Casserly go.

"I have grown very fond of him," Kubiak said. "We had a lot of work to do to try to get this thing headed in the right direction. We've had a good four months together. I wish it would be longer, but I understand the business."

The 57-year-old Casserly joined the Texans in 2000, after 23 years with the Washington Redskins. He started with the Redskins as an unpaid intern under Hall of Fame coach George Allen and was hired as a scout the next season.

The Redskins elevated Casserly to assistant general manager in 1982, the year the franchise won its first Super Bowl. Casserly became Washington's GM in 1989.

Casserly's first big move in Houston came in 2002, when the Texans drafted David Carr. He's signed off on every draft pick the Texans have ever made and defended Williams' selection again.

"Our record is what our record is," Casserly said. "But I think this ballclub will make a dramatic jump this year in caliber of play. Eventually, the wins will come. With the offseason we had, I feel really good about it."

Kubiak said the Texans now face a pivotal decision in finding Casserly's successor.

"This is a huge hire for our organization," he said. "There's a lot of good things going on. The key thing is we have to do our homework and make sure they keep heading in that direction.

"This person has to be a great fit for what's happening right now with the Houston Texans."

INDEED!!! He left the same way he did in Washington...after wrecking our team he is given no say in the team's personnel decisions the year he leaves (In our case once Kubiak was hired) and then once we make good moves he can say he left our team in good shape.

Now he can take that nice NFL office job....and run the NFL into the ground!!!

Casserly had nothing to do with the drafting of Williams. That was Kubiak's pick and Mcnair signed off on it. And how can anyone say picking the guy widely regarded as the best defensive prospect on the board, nearly unanimous number 2 player overall (nearly unanimous because some teams had him rated number 1), and a larger need for the Texans is "the biggest draft fuckup in the history of the NFL" when neither of them have yet to play a down in the NFL?

So, Williams is automatically a bigger fuckup than Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, Kijana Carter, Heath Shuler, Quentin Coryatt, Jeff George, and I can go on and on...?

Can you even wait 3-4 years when it'll be somewhat clear how their careers will be? Hell can you even wait 3-4 games?

Obviously not

The next Barry Sanders? Sanders was GREAT but how many titles did he win? He was great without much of a line (just like Bush would have been)but one player DOESN'T make a team. Defense wins champinships. I'm not saying Williams will be great or even good, but the Texans needed D or an o-line 100x more than they needed Bush. Hell,Dominack Davis will rush for more yards this and prob next year as well. my 2 cents

"bush COULD BE the next barry sanders"

Got anymore useless rants captain hypocrasy?

Its also a quabillion times easier to find a good running back...how easy is it to find a good de again?

yea Texan fans must be relived that this saga is over

How much easier is it to find a badass running back? Hell the Texans already have DD.

How much easier is it to find a badass defensive end? Hell the Texans already have....? Now Williams and brought in Weaver.

There is a reason Denver can put any running back into their system and they'll succeed. Kubiak knows you dont have to give a rb 30 million guaranteed when you can get quality production out of guys getting paid half that.

PS: There is a reason the Colts chose to let go Edgerrin James in order to resign Dwight Freeney.

Time will tell

Bush is fucking tiny, he will not last in the NFL. Name a good running back who was over 5'10" and under 210.

Buch will be as good as Dave Megget at best.

warrick dunn and marshall faulk come to mind. what they lost in bush was not only a one of a kind player but one they can make hella money off of through jersey sales, etc. i'm betting that nobody is rushing to get their mario williams jersey while bush's #5 will be like vick's #7 if he gets to wear 5 of course.

Mario Williams is simply a freak. 6'7 295 and very athletic. It made more since for them to draft Williams with Peyton Manning, Byron Leftwitch, and Vince Young in their division. I think that was just a tough decision. Though I think they were stupid for not trading down to get him. For the duration of Bush and Williams careers they will be under the microscope to produce more than the other one.

IF the texans get mackenzie from GB they'll be on the right track imo