Catch guys

As long as it stops snowing.

"I did BJJ and am studying Catch and I don't feel that BJJ can be applied to aggressive wrestling. Besides, the submission holds in Catch are a lot more effective, painful, and damaging than what BJJ has."

I'm trying so hard to just hold my tongue and respect other peoples opinions, but shit like this makes it so hard. To catch guys, COMPETE.

Just started training? Hasnt Tony been around for years? There in their thirties and work? Who the hell doesnt?! People still find time to train, compete, and work. Dont like the rules of sub. grappling? Hey man, I thought catch was so awesome that you guys would just tap everone as soon as it hit the mat anyway, so who cares about the rules? How about NAGA rules, I have no doubt you guys could come out and dominate at Master Bob's event! Ok, lets forget grappling. How about MMA? Theres no shortage of that in the Chicago area. Fighters from Shirmers, Costeas, Carlsons, CFC, Duneland valetudo, Curran's and many others from the area have stepped up and represented. How many from Catch? Yet you catch guys just love to go on about how well you would do against BJJ if you ever actually competed. I dont hate catch, and I definatly dont hate Tony Chechine, but some of you talk to much shit. FYI, Im not internet warrior. I have stepped into the ring on a number of occasions. How about you?

Thanks for the info Neckcranku

I'm a BJJer and have not trained in Catch wrestling with a live Catch Instructor like Tony C but I have incorporated stuff from his LOAH which have brought me succuss against even higher belts and so far it has flowed beautifully. Maybe its 'cause I'm not a "drop to guard" kind of guy and love fighting from the top but whatever it may be, my game has improved so much by just adding alot of stuff (positions included) from his series.

In UFC 1, Ken Shamrock used a heel hook, which he learned while training with Karl Gotch. I hate how people say that catch has not been in any competitions. What about Sakuraba? He refers to his style as UWF wrestling, and trains with Billy Robinson.

ya about sak ,I'll be honest nobody has touched sakuraba's ground game in mma not even royce or newton,sakuraba loses people study his fights and try to knock him out standing,his losses 3 to the same guy,one lose came because of his old eye socket injury he's still never lost once the fight hits the mat when in 100% condition with no other injury's,karo is also a catch guy same thing with him he has 2 losses,these might be a mixed style of catch and judo,tonys style is different from these guys for sure thats probally why we havent seen it in comp yet.if silva learns catch he will be champ for ever he's dam scary just with bjj.

Man, where to start with this? A lot of you are trolls trying to push a $200 tape on chip so I'll continue from there.

"Chip you can keep your mentality and use you wrestling in BJJ."

Simple gameplan for competion for a wrestler in BJJ is to get a takedown into sidemount, which is very easy for a wrestler because 99.9% of BJJ guys have little defense against this, then work a side mount etc.

You guys base too much on stereotypical mentality of a style. I've wrestled & done BJJ & when I'm in shape I'm aggressive to either submit or completely postionally dominate whoever I'm grappling. I'm sure any grappling style is the same if the want to win. There are BJJ guys that constantly fight for subs, there are BJJ guys that are positional masterminds, personally I prefer position cuz you can strike from there & it's easy, good wrestlers doing BJJ can develop a good top game, yes there are BJJ guys that specialize in guard passing and side control, I guess you guys don't know about them, who better to develop a top game aginst when practicing against the guys with the best bottom game.

Don't stereotype, there are a lot of aggressive BJJ guys. Chip, if every good wrestler could learn catch and submit everyone fast everyone would already be doing it. I just think at least working sometimes with BJJ guys is necesary to being a great American submission artist. It all starts with starting this type of training.

LOL @ another Catch thread hijacked and gone bad!

"I just think at least working sometimes with BJJ guys is necesary to being a great American submission artist."

You would be wrong, then. It is not necessary to do BJJ to become great at submissions.

"Don't stereotype, there are a lot of aggressive BJJ guys."

That is not how most BJJ blackbelts teach BJJ to the masses. Like I said, almost all Catch guys have done both and found Catch to be a lot more effective, efficient, and vicious.

gama I like the part of your post when you say one less person to worry about,my thoughts exactly Im not going to post any more of my catch knowledge instead Im going to be greedy and keep it for my self because the less people that know the stuff the better it is when you do it on them,

"One less person I have to worry about;)"

Y'know, you're right, why am I arguing with the BJJ drones?

BJJ is the best...BJJ is the best..

rampage68 I agree with your comment bjj is the best ,bjj is the best,not its only a part of game not a whole fighting from your back is a good idea if you want to lose.

Yes, its obvious that catch is number 1. I mean, if a handfull of anonymous people on computers who dont compete at a high level say it is, it must be. Right? Who cares about observable results in competition? Well, I decided this will be my last responce to this thread, so I wish you the best with your catch propaganda campain. Maybe Ill see you at a comp some time, but probaly not I guess.

the reason it's called mixed martial art is to mix it up and piss off all the puritans.

style is for the weak who need approval!

I've competed in grappling tournaments as has several of my training partners. Honestly, there is only a few of us at Tony's gym and we are content to train for our own goal of self improvement.

I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I don't really see all these Catchwrestlers "talking shit". People like what they do and often share their enthuasiam. I have no plans on being a pro fighter or doing NHB. There are other goals in my life I would rather pursue. Some of you on here actually get angry because myself and my training partners have not chosen to compete in NHB. It really makes no sense to me.

I am just trying to learn what I can and enjoy myself in the meantime. It's people like XXX75 that make it not enjoyable.

BTW if you really want to know, the last competition I did was in Summer 01 for a Dave Strausser promotion. It was a NHB promo but he did some grappling matches too. I beat Nick Agallar via kneebar then lost to Brett Alazawi via choke. I'm just thankful both guys were willing to wrestle me since they were actually planning on doing a NHB fight but something went wrong, like their opponents didn't show. I heard Nick is going to Iraq and I am thankful for his service above all!

I've also had the chance to train and wrestle at different schools including Militech's, Phil Johns, and Curran's. I don't claim to have beaten everyone under their roof. BTW I have nothing but good things to say about all of these guys as instructors and on a personal level.

Tony C's Catchwrestling is some real badass stuff! Some of you don't believe it, but I couldn't care less what you believe. Keep on doing what you do, and stop trolling and being angry because I do what I do.

"I am just trying to learn what I can and enjoy myself in the meantime. It's people like XXX75 that make it not enjoyable."

Brian, you are so correct. I do BJJ and it is not as fun to study as Catch is, mainly because when I used Catch techniques to tap upper belts in BJJ class, like leglock and neckcranks, I was told that I was not allowed to use such techniques because they were "too dangerous". More like "too hard to defend against so we don't want you to use them." The BJJ robots say that Catch is not a viable system simply because some guys don't enter competitions run by BJJ stylists, and with rules that favor BJJ stylists, like "no neck cranks and no leg locks", points for flopping to the guard, points for passing the guard, etc. Why pass the guard when you can make him scream with a leg lock? It is Catchwrestling's little tweaks , twists, tricks, and strategies that work so well against the BJJ guys that make them hate it so much. And that's why I will continue to study it.

"A lot of you are trolls trying to push a $200 tape on chip so I'll continue from there."

Who is the troll here? This is a Catch thread so get lost, kid. $200 is a fraction of what I paid for BJJ classes, and I learned twenty times as much from Tony's tapes. In fact, I learn something new every time I watch them. Best investment I ever made in my grappling studies.

BJJ is best...BJJ is best...

I always have the feeling that I'am just another human being

bjj the best ...bjj the best......no sharing secrets of catch its no good guys.the bjj guys will take you down with a guard flop ,pound you ,then they will reverse you to mount then punch you till you roll over or give an arm because you cannot counter the moves and you will have to tap,sound about right because bjj is the best...because ufc and pride prove it.