Catch Rules Tournament

I like this also. Helps me Phone Post 3.0

Proud to say that for the past 4 years I've been trained by Anthony Sansonetti at Team Renegade, who is competing in the main event for the HW championship.  Really looking forward to this event!

Very interested Phone Post 3.0

So is the guard considered a pin? Phone Post 3.0

sounds great.  However, I don't like the pins part either.  Don't need the negative comments from chadderz, either.  I am a fan of catch wrestling, and think it's a very effective martial art.  I'm also a fan of BJJ and think it is a very effective martial art.  Same with Judo.  With the allowance of pins, you can't really have the two compete on an even playing field.    Pins are great for wrestling tournaments (and I guess Catch tournaments too), but not very realistic in real ife combat.

Sounds like a great event.  One I would love to watch, but don't care to compete in under those rules. 

TTT for what sounds like a neato event though.

Did anyone bother to read the rules?

Pins are only counted when your shoulders are being held down to the mat and the ref is able to make a 3 count. Phone Post 3.0

Morgz -

sounds great.  However, I don't like the pins part either.  Don't need the negative comments from chadderz, either.  I am a fan of catch wrestling, and think it's a very effective martial art.  I'm also a fan of BJJ and think it is a very effective martial art.  Same with Judo.  With the allowance of pins, you can't really have the two compete on an even playing field.    Pins are great for wrestling tournaments (and I guess Catch tournaments too), but not very realistic in real ife combat.

Sounds like a great event.  One I would love to watch, but don't care to compete in under those rules. 

It's not supposed to favour anyone but catch wrestlers, that's the point! Why would everyone say how awesome it is to have a catch wrestling tournament and then complain about one of the most fundamental aspects of CACC? Phone Post 3.0

Do you have to pass guard to pin? Phone Post 3.0

stevekt - Do you have to pass guard to pin? Phone Post 3.0
Don't think so.

The rules on the website define a "pin" as both shoulder blades on the ground for a ref 3 count.

So if you're in guard and hear the ref start counting, you better sit up, get to a side, or otherwise make something happen.

I don't think folks are bothered by the fact that pins are allowed, I think they're just a little confused about the opening post's claim that the rules are "neutral." Phone Post 3.0

I love this idea though. Hope to see more. Phone Post 3.0

RockTheVote -
Topsyjt - 
RockTheVote - Good luck. I don't understand why a pin would be considered a satisfying finish though. Phone Post 3.0
Total Domination sir! Having the strength and technique to grab a man and hold him down whilst he struggles and fails to escape is basically you saying "I own your ass, you can't do anything about it"
It kinda sucks ;-( Phone Post 3.0

i wish much luck and happiness to the guys who compete. if i was local i might try it out, even though it doesnt really sound like my forte. hope people post in here about how it goes.

It's a shame your not local (me either, UK) as the competition experience from different styles could at some pint prove invaluable. Regardless, as we are fortunate I have the ability to pick and chose various styles that suit us.
I too hope some ppl post their experiences from the compt. Phone Post 3.0

mada - The pins force you to fight for top position and this is essential to wrestling. Also, whoever said that the pins aren't applicable to real life is wrong. Playing bottom on asphalt is what's not applicable to real life. These rules force the exact kind of game that Rickson was saying he wishes people in bjj would use. Just my opinion Phone Post 3.0

I disagree. In real life, you aren't always the better wrestler, or the bigger person. Further, in a self-defense situation, you could be taken down by surprise (ambush, struck with object, etc.). Either way, having a strong guard game is key to survival or even attacking in such situations, both of which aren't supported by the rules of this tournament.

I don't get those being pissed about the pins, though. It's a Catch tournament, so of course the rules are for Catch style.

seems thered be lots of draws, then who would advance to the next round?

Chadderz -
Morgz -

It's not supposed to favour anyone but catch wrestlers, that's the point! Why would everyone say how awesome it is to have a catch wrestling tournament and then complain about one of the most fundamental aspects of CACC? Phone Post 3.0
Right.

Ed Lewis is rolling over in his grave at the thought of some guy trying to pull guard in a "wrestling" tournament. Phone Post 3.0

Chadderz - 
Morgz -

Not sure why.  I don't understand why I can't enjoy Catch Wrestling but not like the pin aspect of it?

I also love MMA, but there are some aspects of MMA I don't necessarily care for (ex:  point fighting strategies, lay and pray fighters).

I think this tournament is a fantastic idea, and I would like to watch it if it were closer to me. Just becuase I don't like "pinning" as a form of winning a match doesn't mean I can't like the style of Catch.

RockTheVote - 

no need to get pissed. if you dont like the idea of losing by pin, dont enter. this will appeal to some people who probably feel like their martial art has been marginalized, and it will not appeal to some people who find pins to be an unrealistic way to win or lose a fight. shit will probably be cool. a lot of people will have fun. some wont. we'll get to hear about it and plan accordingly for the next one.

voted up.  I think this sums up what I was tryng to say better than what i said.

Cacc without pins is not cacc.

You cant play guard 'cause when your shoulder touch the ground, the ref start counting.

Here is a video of the iswa cacc tournament here in Quebec, that will give you an idea of what it look like.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYRm47gWZOs Phone Post 3.0

SpartanFightClub - Cacc without pins is not cacc.

You cant play guard 'cause when your shoulder touch the ground, the ref start counting.

Here is a video of the iswa cacc tournament here in Quebec, that will give you an idea of what it look like.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYRm47gWZOs Phone Post 3.0

for SFC

I like the rules. Y'all come down to ga/tn/al, would love to give this rules set a try.

That a long match though, gonna be some tired folks if one can't play off their back Phone Post 3.0

It will certainly deter people from that silly "double guard pull" you see in so many bjj tournaments