Catch Wrestling better than Jiu Jitsu, for MMA?

I expect to get some VTFD's, in bold probably... Serious question though and I'm just curious about the UG consensus.

IMO, Mir has a much more refined and honed submission game than Barnett. And you can say the same about Lesnar, obviously. Mir's JJ is top-shelf, and Lesnar was a rookie.

Yet the Gracie breakdown had only positive things to say about Lesnar's performance on the ground against Francis. Was it the wrestling that made the difference? Mir incapable of controlling position was simply incapable of making anything work? Or did Lesnar have the better sub game? Isn't Mir considered the best from-his-back JJ fighter ever? Didn't he say he specifically learned to fight off his back with JJ, because wrestlers like Lesnar were coming?

I think Josh submits him, if it goes to the ground.

I should say, best HW from-his-back JJ. Nog + wrestling = UFC champ?

what time frame do you live in? Phone Post

Who the fuck is Francis Phone Post

I'm so god damn confused. Phone Post

CB, brah, Frank is short for Francisco Santos Mir the third. Francis is short for Francisco too. I happen to think it's a fine name. But, any of you homos call me Francis, and I'll kill ya.

Hopefully the Stripes reference will buy me an UV and I won't get silenced.

JStrongMMA - 

I'm so god damn confused. Phone Post

Which do you think is the more effective grappling technique for MMA?

IMO, JJ is to MMA grappling, as boxing is to MMA striking. As opposed to Thai boxing.

Who do you think will win the ground game between Francis and Josh? The one with the elite JJ, or the one with the submission wrestling? I think Barnett subs Mir on the ground, even though Mir's grappling is better. Because Josh's wrestling will keep Frank out of position. Is that not how Lesnar out-grappled Frank?

Like I said, I expected the question to offend some irrational defensive people. I'm not bashing one or supporting the other. I'm curious if there are any UG'ers with a catch background and an opinion.

/spam

(tried to give as much clarification as I could there Jstrong, before I'm muted for posted this question and can't reply)

The rule set for CACC is much more relevant for MMA. In CACC you only win via sub or pin. So if you're on your back you fight like a demon to stand again. No laying in your back at all. It also makes grappling more exciting. The downside is that the guard isn't used in CACC so less sweeps/subs/guard passing skills.

I trane CSW and BJJ (: Phone Post 3.0

I don't know, you might be right.

I'll have to go check out the CACC Pan Ams.....

Chadderz - The rule set for CACC is much more relevant for MMA. In CACC you only win via sub or pin. So if you're on your back you fight like a demon to stand again. No laying in your back at all. It also makes grappling more exciting. The downside is that the guard isn't used in CACC so less sweeps/subs/guard passing skills.

Exactly what I was curious about Chadderz, thanks. Wasn't it Matt Hughes who informed the Gracies' that they would need to "go back to school", and start incorporating wrestling?

In 50 years, IMO, there won't really be all of these individual disciplines being practiced independently from MMA. What percentage of 10 year old kids in the gym today (any gym), are going to only learn one discipline and learn it in it's classical traditional form?

I can't imagine a kid, putting in the work towards a TKD blackbelt, and choosing NOT to take wrestling in school. Or, boxing and no grappling. Are there any Brazilian fighters in the UFC with weak wrestling anymore? Every American wrestler learns JJ. It won't be long before Catch and BJJ based fighters, are basically the identical.

imo its better to be on top in mma. catch tries to stay off bottom more

aka_rtotheoh - what time frame do you live in? Phone Post
Lol! Phone Post 3.0

stonepony -
JStrongMMA -  I'm so god damn confused. Phone Post

Which do you think is the more effective grappling technique for MMA?

IMO, JJ is to MMA grappling, as boxing is to MMA striking. As opposed to Thai boxing.

Who do you think will win the ground game between Francis and Josh? The one with the elite JJ, or the one with the submission wrestling? I think Barnett subs Mir on the ground, even though Mir's grappling is better. Because Josh's wrestling will keep Frank out of position. Is that not how Lesnar out-grappled Frank?

Like I said, I expected the question to offend some irrational defensive people. I'm not bashing one or supporting the other. I'm curious if there are any UG'ers with a catch background and an opinion.

/spam

(tried to give as much clarification as I could there Jstrong, before I'm muted for posted this question and can't reply)

Ah..well I think catch wrestling is more practical for MMA due to position control like you said. I think Barnett would win in a grappling match but who knows. Both are high level grapplers and it would be interesting to watch. I was hoping they would hit the ground in their fight. Phone Post

Both are super effective, which one is better depends largely on opponent. ...But is one of us a time traveler? Phone Post

stonepony - I should say, best HW from-his-back JJ. Nog + wrestling = UFC champ?
Werdum would crush both Phone Post 3.0

^truth Phone Post 3.0

Chadderz - The rule set for CACC is much more relevant for MMA. In CACC you only win via sub or pin. So if you're on your back you fight like a demon to stand again. No laying in your back at all. It also makes grappling more exciting. The downside is that the guard isn't used in CACC so less sweeps/subs/guard passing skills.

That "downside" is a fiction.

If you have been taught CACC thoroughly, then you would know this.

The approach is different, but there is a strategy from the bottom in CACC and techniques to execute that strategy.

Catch guys on here are always hilarious. Phone Post

e. kaye -

That "downside" is a fiction.

If you have been taught CACC thoroughly, then you would know this.

The approach is different, but there is a strategy from the bottom in CACC and techniques to execute that strategy.

I've never seen anybody use any kind of guard in a grappling match that incorporated pins. Which part specifically are you disagreeing with?

Oh, and vtfu for having a discussion (: Phone Post 3.0

Baboo Baby Style IMO. Phone Post