Catch Wrestling & Legitimatcy

It should be obvious for all concerned by now that with the scarcity of old time catch wrestlers (Billy Robinson is still alive, as is Dick Cardinal)...and then there's Yoshiaki Fugiwara over in Japan...and Billy Wicks is still around...but Lou Thesz is gone now...as is Karl Gotch...

with this situation being what it is...

catch as catch wrestling can only continue because people decide to learn the art ANY WAY THEY POSSIBLY CAN.

And then let their skills speak for themselves; let their skills determine their legitimacy.

Learn by watching, analysing, taking to the mat...what the people above have left behind (or are still creating) by way of vids of matches or techniques on youtube (or wherever)....training tapes and dvds (including Kris and his guys in Canada, and of course Tony Cecchine, and even Matt Furey has some decent stuff on his tapes/dvds - at times)....and whoever else I may have left out....and of course watching/studying the mma matches of people like Kazushi Sakuraba, Josh Barnett, Erik Paulson, Matt Hume, the Shamrocks, etc...

THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY WAY TO LEARN THE ART - IT SEEMS TO ME.

And anyone interested in learning catch wrestling needs to utilize ALL of these resources - precisely because there are so few old time catch wrestlers left - and especially those guys who were "hookers" (experts in submission).

AND STOP ALL THE CRAP ABOUT WHO'S LEGITIMATE AND WHO'S NOT.

Yeah the best thing to do is pick the brains of the guys who are still alive.

Roli Delgado is very lucky to have Billy Robinson around his school. Roli will have one of the most legit claims to teaching real catch in a few years.

I had the great pleasure of working out with Dick Cardinal at one of Jack Shannon's seminars. Mr. Cardinal had some great stuff to show us. 

The difference between a wrestling based grappling art and others is very different. It took a while to develop some of Billy's game into mine which for a long time was zero TD's and a lot of guard work. However, I have started to really use his "Kimura/double wristlock" and so has my partner Matt who is also a BJJ Black Belt.

I find myself filtering a lot of Billy's game to my students. Because of his age and teaching style it's easier for him to teach me and for me to teach others. He is great in small group or one on one settings. For sure, Billy is my main influence now and aside from the obvious TD game he is working with me on, I have utilized some of his shoulder lock details and neck cranks that really fit into my top game and he has also basically showed me things in the Knee on belly position that make a 100% difference in no gi.

Anyone with a desire to train in a dying art needs to act now and come to LR to train with Billy. Sometimes I grab a beer with him after class and I always take a moment to realize how lucky I am.

Roli Delgado

Roli can you email. I would like to come down and work with you guys....joemfs@gmail.com

Joe, email sent. You are always welcome and I'm sure I can find you a place to stay.

ttt

cacc

rolijuju - Anyone with a desire to train in a dying art needs to act now and come to LR to train with Billy.

Roli Delgado

That's the best way to go. God, I wish I could just take off and head to Little Rock for a year or two...

Not only do we have Billy but we also have a great BJJ program and an awesome Judo coach who is a Black Belt under Christophe Leninger. We are really lucky to have so many great grappling influences.

rolijuju - Not only do we have Billy but we also have a great BJJ program and an awesome Judo coach who is a Black Belt under Christophe Leninger. We are really lucky to have so many great grappling influences.

You have a great program going on. Please video Billy every chance you get!

Great post Roli. I agree with KidJustice about getting as much stuff taped as is appropriate.

love catch wrestling you guys are lucky to have that knowledgeable of a man at your club
ttt for Roli and having a open mind at training ,Alot of bjj guys scouf catch wrestling

TiTTy!

Eric Paulson's stuff is as good as anyone's I have seen.

I hope to make it to LR sometime this year. Trying to plan it out so that I can bring my youngest, too. She's a very tall 12 with mad flexibility, despite no gymnastics or dance, and has really taken to BJJ when I've had to take her to my class.

Is anyone on here really good with computper art? I want to design a catch wrestling t shirt but have zero skills?

roli - could you describe in a few sentences what the difference in philosophies are between catch and bjj? Not just the standup portion, but positioning and going for subs, defense, etc.

Thanks.

roli - Lookoutawhale is very talented and helped me design a T-Shirt once. You should shoot him a PM.

we work catch where i train....its amazing how you can catch bjj guys in teh stuff because its so different.....i love it....not being caught in it, because it hurts.....

i belive catch wretling was dreived from super mean sadistic big brithers and evil filthy wreslters.........its awesome.....

rolijuju - Is anyone on here really good with computper art? I want to design a catch wrestling t shirt but have zero skills?

I am an expert in computer art, and a product designer. PM me.