Catholic/Orthoxdox quesiton

I just realzied i put orthodox in the title when this is really directed towards RC people, sorry for the wrong title. As you guys know im going through RCIA and have a lot of questions... so, I will be posting here a lot, please bear with me! Anyways to my question:

I don't quite understand the whole teaching magisterum of the Church thing, like what we are to believe. Let me try and explain my random scattered thoughts and put them into a coherent sentence. I understand papal infallibility as it pertains to faith and morals when the Pope is speaking ex cathedra, and yet we are told we need to believe the other teachings of the church on such issues as contraceptives/abortion, but this has not been spoken about in the sense of ex cathedra. So, why do we need to believe that? You always hear that it's the cafeteria Christians that pick and choose what needs to be believed but aren't they by definition doing the proper thing. If it NEEDED to be believed wouldn't it have been spoken of in the ex cathedra sense? I don't understand the distinction made between the two.

This line of reasoning leads to my 2nd question, if you could answer both questions I'd appreciate that. This being that if there are other documents or articles of faith that are supposed to be held by all catholics I find it hard to believe in them. I always shiver at the super conservative catholics who say all teachings of the church must be endorsed... if this was the truth the there would never be any growth or reform within the Church. Only the ignorant, or arrogant fool would deny that the medieval and early modern church endorsed all sorts of atrocities and I find it hard to reconcile the belief in certain ideas that are "needed" to be followed when in the past this line of reasoning has caused horrible events to occur.

Standing in the darkness confused,
Jason

Jason, I believe Christ contines to guide us through the teaching authority of the Church. The teachings develop over time until they reach a "fullness," sometimes the Holy Spirit moves the Pope to speak ex cathedra. Sometimes doctrines evole, sometimes they are expounded ex cathedra. It's a need dependant thing.

St. Kolbe will do better I'm sure.

I'm not going to answer your question. Remember I said on your other thread that I was in RCIA this time 2 years ago? So I am going to give you some advice instead.

I really recommend you bring up all your questions in your RCIA class, thats what they are there for. I know it's not always easy to stand out but I guarantee you all of your classmates are or have been thinking the same things you are. If you dont want to bring it up in your group, talk to your sponsor or instructor or ask to speak a few minutes with the priest.

Right now you are not only being instructed but are being introduced to a community and that community wants to help you. Questions, doubts, suspicion even anger are totally normal. Talk and listen to their words but don't forget to talk and listen with your heart as well. Prayer is also important at this time. Answers rarely come as quickly as we want them to but they will come.

Sorry I didn't address your questions. Merry Christmas. Eric

Hi Jason,

I think filter makes a great point.  While you might get a satisfactory answer for this question in a number of ways, the RCIA program is also designed to bring you into the parish life. 

That being said, if you're one of those people who are terrified to ask questions (and I do know a few people like that), this isn't the best place to get an answer to your question.  I'd suggest you go to the Catholic subforum of ChristianForums.com to ask this.  I'm a regular over there.  You'll get a good answer without trolls ruining the thread.

What's a Catholic thread without at least some mention of the Whore and the Bloodthirsty leaders? 

"come out of her"

You are not in anything.

Revelation 18:4

Then I heard another voice from heaven say: "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not share in her sins, so that you will not receive any of her plagues;

The voice from heaven says "my people". Clearly my people can only be believers in The Christ and many Catholics are strong believers in Him but because of mans tradition have been held in bondage by rules and regulations within a GIFT OF GRACE.

No didn't know that because it's totally wrong. Did you know this is in Johns vision of the end or Tribulation.

Most likly writen in about 90 ad.

LOL at The Hawker I've done a six month study on Revelation bro. I'll just take it from John.....he was actually there.

Yeah you should have...

Indeed

"2My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments. 5For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is."

We all shun knowledge, because we all believe what we want to believe. The hardest thing is to work against that, to learn that we know very much less than we would like to about these big questions. Giving up what you have learned is the first step on the rosd to really knowing

I found it interesting in studying the history of revelation that it was argued over for 300 years because it presented a militant blood thirsty christ that forced his kingdom into a worldly reign. Many people believed this was contrary to the nature of the kingdom. That being said, revelations is full of uncanny beautiful imagery and a book to be appreciated in its context.

zealot, Did you ever read The Lambs Supper by, Scott Hahn. Great explanation as Revelation as Mass. More to it than that of course, but a very good book and I'm hot and cold on Hahn.

My problem with asking questions is there is no real class. I'm going through RCIA with my chaplain at school. It's just me and her, no one else.

no I havent but Im familiar with mr. hahn. Revelations is the most misused and least understood book of the NT.