Cause of most knee injuries in gym

Couldnt fit the ? in the title but Im interested in discussing what people think are the ways most MMA training knee injuries occur.

ACL, patella, even the PCL.

I always hear that takedowns are the culprit. Leglocks gone too far or done too fast could obviously come into play as well.

Ive only seen a couple in person and usually they were scrambles where both guys were trying to explode out of awkward positions. Or one guy trying to rely too heavily on flexibility.

Leg Locks.

I see it a lot when people start on their knees. One guy gets pushed off guard before he has a chance to pull guard or what have you and the knee gets bent wrong. Shitty

Yeah and leg locks done by newbies and asswhipes

takedowns and kids refusing to tap to heelhooks and kids refusing to let go of heelhooks...

agreed. yeah, not stretching out appropriately.

I've seen more knees go out from odd scrambles than takedowns. Leglocks usually end in ankle injury, only occasionally blowing out a knee.

Takedowns.

Takedowns and hyper little douches are definitely the two big ones.

Leglocks get some of the credit. Part of the problem is that instructors don't teach them early because they become a crutch. However if DON'T teach them early, someone's going to use them and beat or hurt everyone who doesn't know about them. It's a no-win situation.

When I've hurt my knees, it's from standing guard passes. So I don't stand up to pass the guard anymore, although I haven't actually trained in a few years.

I believe MTG has ended this thread already

How do I avoid knee injuries? Don't roll with Morons. By the way Buff, how's your disc injury. (remember that thread?)

I'd say scrambles as well.

My second month of BJJ my foot got stuck on someone elses gi pants while I was trying to replace guard,ended up dislocating my knee.

Yeah and leg locks done by newbies and asswhipes

mostly asswipes, and young guys who have never really been hurt yet. its about respect for your training partner, and that means showing respect for ANYONE that is willing to train/roll with you. you prove nothing by taking out a person that is only there to get better, just like you are supposed to be.

some people understand before they ever walk into the gym, others have been there for years and still don't get it-MM

"My second month of BJJ my foot got stuck on someone elses gi pants while I was trying to replace guard,ended up dislocating my knee."

Terrible, very sorry to hear.

I take it you mean your kneecap and not the knee itself?

Lets bring this back.

takedowns for me :-(

But I am back this month!!

morons

takedowns gone bad are the worst.