CBJJ Rules

Has anyone taken the time to read the CBJJ rules?

http://www.cbjj.com.br/english/rules.htm

They certainly are in better shape than the last time I read them, but now there's a heap of things that are very different to the previous interpretations I've been aware of.

Some things I noticed (I've [referenced the clauses] as best I can given with respect to the original document):

A. Stalling is monitored in 30 second windows. Firstly a warning is given, then 30 seconds later (if there has been no action) 2pt penalty is levied + both players are stood up for play to continue. [Fouls Not As Serious - E]

B. Takedowns are awarded 2pts if the player lands on their back (as distinct to their side) OR if they land on their side and are pinned for 3 seconds. [Points, Postive A)Takedowns]

C. Passes are only negated if the opponent stands or gets to their knees - passes are scored despite the opponents orientation e.g., even if they are face-down on the mat. [Points, Postive B)Passing The Guard]

D. Mount applies whether one or both knees touch the ground whether the opponent is on their front, back or side.

E. If a Mount results off a failed Triangle from guard, no points are awarded for the Mount, but 2pts are awarded for a sweep.

F. Sweeps are only scored if they begin from Half Guard or in the guard (Closed Guard?).

G. When an opponent turtles to avoid a sweep, one only needs to get to the opponents back to gain 2pts, hooks are not required.

H. If you're holding guard on someone who stands in your guard (e.g., a standing pass), to score a sweep you need to establish a control position on the swept party post-sweep.

I. Points aren't awarded if when obtaining "position" (Mount(s) and Knee Ride?) if the opponent is applying a lock. Only once freed from the lock will points be awarded.

I. Should a player attempting a "tackle"(which I take to be a single or double let) be swept as his opponent "sits on the ground",the sweeper gets 2pts, not the tackler.

J. If, while on the ground, should the players approach the edge of or exit the mat, then the referee should freeze them, then restart the match from the middle of the mat from the same position (i.e. they aren't stood-up).

Do any of the above strike you as a little strange or down-right contray to what you've previously understood? Does anybody use an alternate set of (similarly exhaustive) rules?

The only one I thought was a little different was the mount position not requiring both knees on the ground. I think the rest clarify common questions pretty well.

I was tackled out of bounds at my last tourney, and ripped a guillotine into place on the way down. He was moving his hand to tap when the ref stopped us and started us standing in the center.

then again, it wasn't a BJJ tourney, but a NAGA one.

They all score for 2 points. Why wouldnt they? (maybe I misunderstood your question)

"Do sweeps from DLR, spider and butterfly guard score? "

Apparently not anymore...

One that has interested me is:

H. If you're holding guard on someone who stands in your guard (e.g., a standing pass), to score a sweep you need to establish a control position on the swept party post-sweep.

This increases the criteria required to reward a sweep should someone stand in your guard. Not that it personally worries me, but it seems somewhat inconsistent in the context of the other rules.

IMHO maybe the way it could be viewed is as follows:

If someone stands in your guard, they have basically initiated a transition from the ground to standing. That being said, to score points on a standing player the same 'rules' that are applied for normal takedown events should also apply for this situation. i.e. if the standing player is 'swept/taken-down' onto their back then 2pts are awarded, else the side/3second rule applies.

The other one that interested me was:

C. Passes are only negated if the opponent stands or gets to their knees - passes are scored despite the opponents orientation e.g., even if they are face-down on the mat. [Points, Postive B)Passing The Guard]

This implies that there is no requirement to control the oppponent post-pass for any length of time. Locally I've seen/hear of many variations on this, including the pass being negated if the opponent doesn't have their shoulders pinned, pins needing to last for 3 seconds etc.

If you are on the bottom playing any type of guard and you sweep or reverse your opponent so you are on top,,2 points.

To score 3 points for a pass you must control your opponent chest to chest for at least 2 seconds(time changes from ref to ref). If you don´t control him you haven´t really accomplished anything.

I haven´t heard of any big rule changes. Maybe things are getting lost in the english translation and making it confusing.

"Maybe things are getting lost in the english translation and making it confusing. "

That reeks of the correct.

I don't know if people saw the previous rules/regulations, but they were 10 times more confusing than those currently published.

IMHO the CBJJ is doing the right thing: i.e. aiming for clarity etc and it will likely take some time before the rules are in a decent shape. The difficult lies in officials and competitors interpreting, integrating and adapting to such changes as they become apparent - the greater the gap between objective rules and subjective criteria the less creditability the rule/regulations have in the broad BJJ community.

I for one are planning on competing at this years Mundial, and it would be nice to know the rules under which I'll be competing under before I arrive!

What you're describing is typically termed a "Reversal" (funnily enough)- in these parts some competitions award it (e.g., NSW Circuit) while some don't (e.g., Pan Pacs)- but I couldn't see anything in the CBJJ rules that would suggest either Points or Advantages are awarded for the same.

Re the Brazilian vs. Gringo Rule: that goes without saying ;-)

"It was funny, but sad at the same time that this dude came halfway across the world just to get screwed."

Well I hear that Rio is the place to be for such things...

ttt for more Mundial stories!