CBSSPORTS.COM (VIACOM) calls ZUFFA a monopoly.

sgotwalks - You guys are talking about this guy like he is some nobody writing for a small publication. It so happens he is one of the main sports columnists for one of the top sports media conglomerates who regularly covers America's top sport (NFL). Guess what? As far as sports writers go..........his name is already out there. I would say the UFC needs guys like this more than he needs them.

Yes he is, and he is in the pocket book of Viacom.....shocking he would take this stance!!!ZOMG!!!

Now let's talk about the FACTS he presented that proves a Monopoly......crickets

in related news, mcdonald's is a monopoly as that is the only place i can buy a big mac

Damasta Shonuff - So many fucking morons out there.

A monopoly exists when a specific person or enterprise is the only supplier of a particular commodity.

You have some asshole claiming the UFC is a monopoly, when that same asshole is employed by a company that owns Bellator... a supplier of the same commodity as the UFC. In order for the UFC to be a monopoly, Bellator would need to be non-existent. There are many more MMA organizations out there. The UFC will never be busted for being a monopoly when you have organizations like the NFL, NBA and NHL that have been around forever and have a fraction of the competition that the UFC has.

To be fair, major sports leagues have faced anti-trust accusations in the past.  The NFL Players Association filed an anti-trust suit against the NFL less than a year ago.  The UFC differs from those cases in that they are a single entity, whereas the courts have ruled that major sports leagues are a collection of competing entities acting as a cartel so you cannot really compare the two.

Is there a legal argument for calling the UFC/Zuffa a monopoly?  Well, you can't say the UFC are the only promoters as there are many promoters putting on events every weekend.  Granted, most other promotions are not suitable replacements for fighters at the top level.  But you can't even say that the UFC are the only promoters at their level, now that Viacom is backing Bellator.  You can't claim that the UFC are harming consumers.  Their PPV fees have not risen in years and you can't really make the claim that MMA is a commodity that needs to be controlled for the benefit of consumers.

The closest comparison would be boxing, which had the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act signed into law in 2000.  That was put into law in response to abusive clauses in fighter contracts and obvious signs of corruption such as when Holyfield was given a draw against Lewis despite the score cards showing Lewis was the winner.  Which brings us to the only potential spot where an antitrust case might be successful: unfair and abusive clauses in the fighter contracts or other harmful business practices against the fighters.  Stories such as Fitch being cut for not signing over his likeness to the THQ video game are out there and would provide some sort of basis for that.  There very well may be other such abuses going on that the FTC might want to sanction the UFC/Zuffa over.  But you could make the argument that promotions such as Bellator and Dream provide fighters with viable options if they do not like the UFC's business practices.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I am doubtful that the FTC will have much to say about this once all is said and done, but there is some potential for it to happen.  And even if it does, it would likely be something along the lines of restrictions over what clauses the UFC can put into their contracts.  I feel it is highly unlikely that the UFC will be "dismantled" or forced to sell off the Strikeforce brand.

SleepBomb -  how the fuck did i watch pro elite the other night?

It's a monopoly!!! You didn't really see ProElite. Shh, you'll ruin the FTC's case (they have none INMO). And government shouldn't even be doing these silly investigations and here is an ancedotal example why: The FTC just finished a year long investigation holding up the sale of my company for monopoly concerns. The piece of the company they were concerned about represented 5% of the entire company and LOST money, we couldn't sell that 5%, no one wanted it. It costs millions in Washington DC lawyers and almost stopped the sale, and if the sale stopped my company would've gone out of business; at least half of us still have jobs, no thanks to the FTC.

'denies your access as a journalist to events'

I really hate that press argument. Wahhh we can't talk shit about the UFC and be given free amazing tickets to the events at the same time. Boo hoo hoo it's not fair, we want both, we want to talk shit on the UFC and also be treated like royalty by the UFC.

No journalist has ever been 'banned' from an event... they can buy tickets and attend like anyone else .... but if they have to pay their own money and sit in crappy seats like a normal fan, they consider themselves 'banned' by the 'bully' UFC... journalists are such attention whore cunts... look at this guy, fucking whining his little cunty whine and at the same time kneeling down and begging to kiss Dana's boots... these journalists are the real bullies.... they are girly style bullies, doing it all with gossip, lies, backstabbing etc

Chris -  lol @ Viacom accussing Zuffa of being a monopoloy when they themselves, one of the biggest  media companies in the world, now also own and operate an MMA promotion.

LOL at the notion that the ability to hold a promotion is the sole indicator of monopoly power.

Why even have an FTC or antitrust regulation at all if the test were so simple?

"But White and his sport are so charismatic -- to me, anyway -- that I've hated the idea of writing this story, the one you're reading now. So for years I refused. I watched the Jon Fitch thing unfold, and looked the other way. I've seen media members get frozen out by the UFC, and looked the other way. I've followed the unseemly wage scale for fighters, especially the most vulnerable fighters, and looked the other way.

But last week, ESPN's Outside the Lines aired a report on the UFC that delved into the FTC's antitrust investigation of Zuffa, which Zuffa co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta acknowledged by saying, "My understanding is that yes [the FTC has] opened a non-public investigation based on the acquisition we made of Strikeforce."

So I can't look the other way anymore, because this is really happening.

Good Lord, what a wuss! He should be fired for "looking the other way." Wonder what his real motive is.

Cindy

CindyO - "But White and his sport are so charismatic -- to me, anyway -- that I've hated the idea of writing this story, the one you're reading now. So for years I refused. I watched the Jon Fitch thing unfold,<b> and looked the other way</b>. I've seen media members get frozen out by the UFC, and <b> looked the other way</b>. I've followed the unseemly wage scale for fighters, especially the most vulnerable fighters, <b>and looked the other way.</b>

But last week, ESPN's Outside the Lines aired a report on the UFC that delved into the FTC's antitrust investigation of Zuffa, which Zuffa co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta acknowledged by saying, "My understanding is that yes [the FTC has] opened a non-public investigation based on the acquisition we made of Strikeforce."

<b>So I can't look the other way anymore</b>, because this is really happening.

Good Lord, what a wuss! He should be fired for "looking the other way." Wonder what his real motive is.

Cindy<br type="_moz" />

Thats easy, Viacom.

i looked the other way when Viacom promoted the UFC on Spike, now they arent, so like he says he isnt happy about writing this story but he cant look the other way anymore, lol.

Translation, I didnt write this story before but now Viacom wants it written so I have to write it.

Cindy O got a point though--

The timing of these articles is suspicious for sure---do your job correctly at all times. . .

I would have to say that is most well-reasoned piece I have read on these issues to date.

The FTC wouldn't be investigating Zuffa if there wasn't a case against them being a monopoly. On the other hand you'd think Zuffa's high priced legal team will be able to keep them in the clear.

I dont even want to think all the law suits that will follow,
all those fighters that all over the years got literally exploited. Greed from Dana and zuffa is causing this, such
beautiful sport

CindyO - "But White and his sport are so charismatic -- to me, anyway -- that I've hated the idea of writing this story, the one you're reading now. So for years I refused. I watched the Jon Fitch thing unfold,<b> and looked the other way</b>. I've seen media members get frozen out by the UFC, and <b> looked the other way</b>. I've followed the unseemly wage scale for fighters, especially the most vulnerable fighters, <b>and looked the other way.</b>

<b>So I can't look the other way anymore</b>, because this is really happening.

Cindy<br type="_moz" />

haha. They guy admitted he looked the other way for access. He's a CBS, main stream, reporter that doesn't need to cover MMA but he looked the other way. What kind of journalist is that? He tore the UFC down but also himself.

"Bellator Fighting Championships is a legitimate promotion, and it was recently purchased by CBSSports.com's parent company, Viacom"

He writes for CBCCports.com. It's like listening to a car salesman tell you the other brand sucks. He has no credibility. It's a complete conflict of intrest and a laughable article

Gregg Doyel

Does UFC have big credibility issues? Judge for yourself

By | CBSSports.com National Columnist

"Maybe you don't know what I'm talking about. The latest outrage -- the latest absolute joke -- happened before the UFC 77 card went live on pay-per-view television. It was the first fight, between lightweights Matt Grice and Jason Black, and Grice dominated. He destroyed Black for most of 15 minutes, winning the first and third rounds and controlling most of the second until Black mounted his only offensive late in the round. At worst, Grice won two rounds to one, which on the UFC's 10-point scoring system would be a 29-28 decision. And an argument could be made that it was 30-27.

The fight was announced as a draw. One judge had Grice winning. One had Black winning. The third had it even.

The crowd went nuts. Grice was stunned. Black was embarrassed. The crowd booed for more than a minute, even as UFC announcer Joe Rogan was interviewing Grice over the public-address system (and saying he thought Grice had won). Grice was in the middle of explaining his shock when the frazzled director of the Ohio Athletic Commission, Bernie Profato, lumbered into the octagon and whispered something into Rogan's ear.

This is where a bad situation got ridiculous. Profato was whispering to Rogan that a mistake had been made. Rogan was relaying the information to the crowd. Grice was celebrating. Black was nodding. The crowd was cheering.

Me, I'm steaming.

Because this was bad. This was really bad. Understand what happened, and don't gloss over it. Don't excuse it, as White did afterward.

Here's what happened: After two minutes of outrage, an official scoring decision was reversed right before everyone's eyes. Given UFC judges' history of baffling scoring decisions, it's reasonable to believe the judges honestly called the fight a draw. And that White reacted to the crowd's outrage or his own personal shock and sent word to the judges that their decision was wrong, that one of them needed to change his card so the official outcome could reflect what had actually happened in the octagon.

That's a scary proposition, the UFC manipulating the result of a fight, but the only other alternative is just as frightening:

UFC judges can't add small numbers."

White blamed it on the math.

"They added it up too fast," he said, addressing the issue without one of his signature f-bombs. "They looked at the wrong columns. At least they figured it out. At least they got it straight."

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/10423232/1

My favorite article from this guy=)

Cindy

LOL, omg, that article Cindy just posted completely destroyed this guy, omg.

UFC judges, yeah this guy knows what he is talking about.

In other news I hear Meltzer is saying UFC 142 did 225k buys, is this true?

If it is thats dam good for that card, thats actually way better than anyone thought.

Crazy, thats like the same amount 136 with Edgar/Maynard, Aldo/Florian, Sonnen/Stann did.

frontrowbrian -  

Sorry... unless you're Chuck Liddell, no mohawk when you're in your 40s. Sorry Gregg.

Hahahahahaha!!!!! I LOL'd at him when I saw him looking all tough in his feature pic=)  LMFAO@ this!

Cindy

NONURINAUMANA - It's interesting how on this forum 'journalist bashing' is fine but any 'fighter bashing' is not. Just an observation.

Hi Gregg

daba - The FTC wouldn't be investigating Zuffa if there wasn't a case against them being a monopoly. On the other hand you'd think Zuffa's high priced legal team will be able to keep them in the clear.

r those the same clowns that think they will get mma in new york by calling it art.?