Chael: Jones a kid taking on a man, GOAT at stake

UGCTT_JediMMA - Where can I get a "i believe in Hendo" shirt?! Phone Post

Found it! Phone Post

Pernicious - 
Lazer MMA - 
Pernicious - These guys aren't fighting for the same thing.

I acknowledge the hyperbole, and if Dan wins it certainly helps cement his legacy as one of, if not THE best ever. But Bones has 17 fights. I'm not calling him the greatest LHW ever, regardless of a win against Hendo, until he has some more fights.

Understood, but you also have to take into account the level of greatness of JBJ's opponents and HOW dominant he was when disposing of them too! I don't know I think Sonnen may be correct.

Meh, I'm not saying this is my belief, but one can make a rational argument that a) most of his opponents not being that great and 2) the greats were either past their primes and/or injured/coming off injuries.

Let's look at his UFC record:

Gusmao: Not a great
Bonnar: Not a great, though tough
O'Brien: Not a great
Hamill: Not a great
Vera: Not a great
Matyushenko: Past his prime
Bader: Not a great
Rua: Either past his prime and/or injuries have reduced his ability for continued greatness
Jackson: Past his prime
Machida: Legit great, IMO
Evans: Legit great, IMO

Again, I'm just arguing for fun here. And his dismantling of all of these guys has been exciting and impressive. But if he were to beat Wanderlei now, would we be impressed? Compared to Pride Wandy? Same goes for Pride Rampage, Shogun and Hendo.

The only issues I have with this post are that Shogun just finished Machida and was UFC LHW champ at that time, so I just can't downgrade that win much (JBJ's). It is possible that the savage beatings put on Shogun by JBJ and Hendo ruined him as a fighter as VS Vera it did not look like Shogun for sure (I agree the same can be said about the Forrset fight!). I can agree with that as a possibility.

Secondly although Page did look clueless in the fight and even when he did get inside he didn't try to explode as he should have (had too), he was in great shape for the fight and seemed to want to win that belt bad. I think you must credit JBJ at least somewhat for that. I could agree that it was not VS a prime Page (i.e the Page that fought Hendo IMO) though. It's a hard equation overall and I respect your opinion.

I do favor JBJ in those match-ups in PRIDe though. I think he could have kept Wand off and wore him down. If Lil Nog had a war like he did with Shogun (many think he won, not me though) I think JBJ can hold his own too VS that Shogun IMO. I think that older version of Shogun would have tapped to strikes or to a sub.

Hendo of PRIDe was closer to his wrestling roots (less removed in terms of time from the gold metal in the pan am games), but he lacked his best stand up which really he only acquired recently (always working to improve his game, his boxing is at a peak now even VS a few years ago). I have to guess that Hendo gasses after having taken down JBJ (if he was even able too) a few times after a period of time grappling and is subbed. BTW I'm a big Hendo (PRIDe fan).

It's a tough call no doubt, I think it's for the LHW GOAT though.

torquemada - 

I'm a Chael fan, but he typically says Pride fights were rigged. Phone Post

When he trolling. Maybe that's all he does. Hard to separate the 'real' Sonnen (if there is one LOL) from the troll Sonnen. No doubt some were worked IMO. It was more the case that certain decisions were 'controlled' in PRIDe per Fedor's original manager. I think he's shooting from the hip here, but who knows really.

ohgeetee - Chael's fight hype for his friends is almost as good as it is for his own fights. Gotta love a guy who's that generous with the smack talk.

I'd love to see Hendo get the win, but it doesn't seem likely. Should be a great fight though, that is for sure.

Was definitively less generous last night on UFC Tonight when he came off a dushbag.

Lazer MMA - 
ohgeetee - Chael's fight hype for his friends is almost as good as it is for his own fights. Gotta love a guy who's that generous with the smack talk.

I'd love to see Hendo get the win, but it doesn't seem likely. Should be a great fight though, that is for sure.

Was definitively less generous last night on UFC Tonight when he came off a dushbag.

you might be confusing Chael with 'The American Gangster"

I hope Henderson wins.

If he does, it cements him as the GOAT.