Chael Sonnen NSAC ruling

hackett -

Anthony Marnell was the only guy who made any sense. Sonnen has repeatedly been caught cheating and had no choice other than to own up now. 

The other NSAC heads praised Sonnen for his courage, said "What more can we do?" and "We don't want to ruin this poor fella's reputation."

(I'm not kidding, those are direct quotes.)

Marnell: "I'm not kicking him while he's down. He already did that himself!"

Bravo, sir.

It was a fucking joke outside of him. Phone Post 3.0

Glad to see that Chael will finally be able to clean up the sport.

WAR COMMISSIONER SONNEN!!!

UncleChael - Glad to see that Chael will finally be able to clean up the sport.

WAR COMMISSIONER SONNEN!!!
This deluded guy right here. I like Chael but fucking hell man pull ya tongue out, this thread is full of your posts white knighting Chaels cawk. Phone Post 3.0

chilz - Commissioner Marnell wanted a lifetime ban of Sonnen. He isa former baseball player who played in the steroid era. Phone Post 3.0

what team?

mongo54 - 
chilz - Commissioner Marnell wanted a lifetime ban of Sonnen. He isa former baseball player who played in the steroid era. Phone Post 3.0

what team?

The losing team, of course! LOL!

truewarrior - LOOKS LIKE HE CAN STILL FIGHT IN California?!?!

He can still grapple, yes. Phone Post 3.0

Five Year Blue Belt - 
Ktaco - He will be back on FOX doing his thing in no time.

Not likely at all.   He straight up lied to the producers at FOX.   They have money on the line and they will not trust him again.  Unlike the old idiots on the NSAC who fawn over Floyd Jr.  and make excuses for their bad prior decisions with Chael.   

He is back on Fox around the end of the year. He is the face of Fox and they don't want him going to ESPN or another media outlet. Chael = Ratings and FS1 needs all the help it can get. They "fired" him IMO due to media pressure, if the media didn't say shit, he would still be working there. Dana himself said Chael has a shot to come back to work for the UFC which you can assume would also lead to him working with Fox.

BW92 -
Standup29 -
hackett -

Anthony Marnell was the only guy who made any sense. Sonnen has repeatedly been caught cheating and had no choice other than to own up now. 

The other NSAC heads praised Sonnen for his courage, said "What more can we do?" and "We don't want to ruin this poor fella's reputation."

(I'm not kidding, those are direct quotes.)

Marnell: "I'm not kicking him while he's down. He already did that himself!"

Bravo, sir.

He made good points but also made an ass out of himself. His whole tirade about how he was there when the guys got a career because they cheated. He sounded more like a bitter ex at times. Really took away from his original questions and comments. Honestly at times i was wondering which UG member or was.

His tone and comments sounded more like he wanted a argument with Chael. He was being loud when nobody else was. Was entertaining though and I hope he tones it down but keeps the same ideals. Phone Post 3.0
Lol... this is what's wrong with sports fans. I FUCKING LOVE Chael but if you honestly care at all about cleaning up the sport Marnell was spot on and not afraid to mince words. Commissions should be lined by guys with that mindset from head to toe, that they aren't is why there is a problem. Chael fucked with a lot of people, multiple times, with serious offenses, then retired and came clean. I'm not saying I wanted to see him punished worse cause I love the guy, but as an athlete who is 200% against any PED's, what on god's green earth did Marnell say for you to accuse him of making it a personal grudge? He was saying what everyone believes because it's right and true. You just sound like yet another UGer who lets their bias get in the way of logic Phone Post 3.0
And what did I say that was wrong? He lost his cool and got emotional. A person in his position shouldn't and when he does, right or wrong, it takes away from his position.

No different then the one who said he considers Chael a friend. He should never say that. It leaves one questioning if he is ruling in Chael's best interest or the sport. Same for the baseball guy. Is he going to let his emotions get in the way of what is best for the sport? Not just in this, I think his stance was right, I question his delivery. What about later. Is he wanting attention? Send a message to the athletes by being cool, calm and direct. Phone Post 3.0

hackett -

I was incredulous at the statements of the rest of the NSAC heads -- and don't blame Marnell at all for raising his voice. He even apologized (when he didn't have to) and deferred to his seniors, saying he'll go along with their decisions.

And no, I'm not him. HA!

Are you suuure it wasn't you???? Lol Phone Post 3.0

mongo54 - 

what team?

Two years with the Padres minor league organization.   Which means he made more $$$ and has more athletic abilitiy than 75% of the UFC roster.  Bahahahahahahaha.   

Hopefully this puts an end to the Chael era, which might have been the most embarrassing for the UFC in their history.  Not only did you have the guy turn out to be a multiple drug cheat, but the President of the company twisted himself into the shape of a pretzel in order to defend him time and again.  So things will hopefully change...oh, what's that? Vitor just got a title shot?  Nevermind.

ClemenzasCannoli - 
Floyd'sPeople -
ClemenzasCannoli - Got off very easy. Phone Post 3.0
Easy? Id say Vitor got off easy... Fails a drug test and gets rewarded with a title fight Phone Post 3.0
What does my statement have to do with what happened with Vitor? Phone Post 3.0

Well, I think what he's getting at is that this is a harsher sentence than any other fighter has gotten, and to be fair, most other athletes in other sports too.

rkm456 -
ClemenzasCannoli - 
Floyd'sPeople -
Easy? Id say Vitor got off easy... Fails a drug test and gets rewarded with a title fight Phone Post 3.0

Well, I think what he's getting at is that this is a harsher sentence than any other fighter has gotten, and to be fair, most other athletes in other sports too.
Chael is a retired fighter. They could have suspended him for 50 yrs, it doesn't matter. He didn't have to pay a dime in fines. He has to educate fighters on peds?! Mark my words this will land him a paying job with the UFC when the dust settles. So, yeah he got off easy. Not saying Vitor didn't, both were jokes Phone Post 3.0

epwar - 

Hopefully this puts an end to the Chael era, which might have been the most embarrassing for the UFC in their history.  Not only did you have the guy turn out to be a multiple drug cheat, but the President of the company twisted himself into the shape of a pretzel in order to defend him time and again.  So things will hopefully change...oh, what's that? Vitor just got a title shot?  Nevermind.

I don't entirely disagree... but look back at a year ago.

Around this time last year, fans were arguing that TUE's that these guys were getting were 100% legit, and some implied hope it was a first step to lead to other PED's being legal. Chael was still a big star and had just contended for the UFC light heavyweight title. Vitor was championing the TRT cause, and went 3-0 in 2013 with three KO's. Meanwhile, GSP's fight to try and implement better drug testing helped lead to his departure from the UFC.

Now, the "TRT Era" is over, the UFC is finally implementing the kind of random drug testing which St-Pierre described, and Chael is banned from the sport. Vitor is, at least, under better scrutiny than ever.

I know it's far from perfect -- but it's getting better.

truewarrior - LOOKS LIKE HE CAN STILL FIGHT IN California?!?!

Guy on the bottom left looks hungover.

BJJgod - Lifetime ban is more appropriate. This made his third failed test. This sends the wrong message.

i think that this, and the fact that Vitor's fighting again, shows how much the UFC really wants legit testing....

ClemenzasCannoli - 
rkm456 -
ClemenzasCannoli - 
Floyd'sPeople -

Chael is a retired fighter. They could have suspended him for 50 yrs, it doesn't matter. He didn't have to pay a dime in fines. He has to educate fighters on peds?! Mark my words this will land him a paying job with the UFC when the dust settles. So, yeah he got off easy. Not saying Vitor didn't, both were jokes Phone Post 3.0

The NSAC can't touch fighters who are retired. So by your logic, any sentence is getting off easy. He was getting a UFC job regardless of this outcome.

Can you honestly tell me that across the sporting landscape there's been any banned substance user who's gotten an adequate punishment? There are guys who have never failed tests who can't get tv time to save their lives, and there are guys who have pissed hot multiple times being handed cushy jobs and massive paychecks. To say that one is more ridiculous than another is craziness. Nick Diaz, Vitor Belfort, and Chael Sonnen have all failed multiple banned substance tests. Now go ahead and explain to me where there's anything that resembles consistency between the positions those 3 guys are currently in.

Ktaco - 
Five Year Blue Belt - 
Ktaco - He will be back on FOX doing his thing in no time.

Not likely at all.   He straight up lied to the producers at FOX.   They have money on the line and they will not trust him again.  Unlike the old idiots on the NSAC who fawn over Floyd Jr.  and make excuses for their bad prior decisions with Chael.   

I disagree. I doubt he hurt anyone's feelings. He was damn good at what he did and got eyes watching; that's all they care about. The sole reason he was let go was because they wanted to distance themselves and see how things played out. Now Sonnen is going to aid the commission and will ultimately be seen as a good ambassador for "drug free mma".

I'm not saying it's going to happen next week but your going to be seeing this guy slowly make his way back up.

MMAtador - 
Ktaco - He will be back on FOX doing his thing in no time.
I'm guessing ESPN, he was doing some work there at one point and they love him so Ivan see them giving him a second chance down the road. Looong road.... Phone Post 3.0

VU