Challenging quote from Tyson

"I feel like sometimes that I was born, that I'm not meant for this society because everyone here is a f**king hypocrite. Everybody says they believe in God but they don't do God's work. Everybody counteracts what God is really about. If Jesus was here, do you think Jesus would show me any love? Do you think Jesus would love me? I'm a Muslim, but do you think Jesus would love me ... I think Jesus would have a drink with me and discuss ... why you acting like that? Now, he would be cool. He would talk to me. No Christian ever did that and said in the name of Jesus even ... They'd throw me in jail and write bad articles about me and then go to church on Sunday and say Jesus is a wonderful man and he's coming back to save us. But they don't understand that when he comes back, that these crazy greedy capitalistic men are gonna kill him again."

Now, Mike is crazy, but is this a critique of modern consumer Christianity that we should hear?

the rev

I tend to agree with Mike.

The way a lot of people describe Christ just blows my mind, in a bad way. When I hear televangelists say, "Jesus wants you to be rich!" or read descriptions of Jesus mowing down unbelievers like a Hollywood action star at the second coming, I get sad.

My experience has shown me that none of us are better than the least among us. We are all sinners, and all equal in the eyes of God. It's clear that Christ believed this, and therefore interacted with lepers, beggars and prostitutes.

Sometimes certain denominations of modern Christianity strike me as elitist and "holier than thou," which, in my opinion, is dangerous and contrary to the Christian spirit.

Sorry but I think this is a big pity party on his part. While I agree that indeed many people claim to be Christians and then don't live like it I think Tyson is mainly making this stuff up. He was sent Cus to take care of him and love him and after his death he betrayed that memory. He had the love of a wife and returned the favor with beating her. I think countless people have tried to help him to no avail. I always thought that Holyfield, who claims to be a Christian, gave him nothing but respect but got his ear bitten for his friendship.

I guess what I mainly doubt, though, is that the arresting officers were discussing how they are Christians with him but were somehow hypocrites for not going into how much they loved him when he was up on rape charges or other things.  This is coming from the guy who used to punch old ladies in the face to steal their groceries.  How many chances does he want?

I guess I would believe his sincerity about greedy capitalists if he used a good portion of his vast wealth to help others.

This coming form the same guy that used the quote I will eat your children. Or the same guy that was going to fight in Pride. I rest my case.

I am impressed with Mike's quote, and yes we should heed his message.

I am not saying anything about his life, or his claims, but he recognises that Christ would reach out to him, and sit down with him, and love him. The real question is would you do the same.

the rev

I DID SAY IT TWICE THOUGH :)

the rev

What everybody seems to be forgetting is that he had immense wealth and blew it. He was part of the consumerist cog and as far as I know he blew it all on himself. Yes Jesus might have sat down with him and had a drink and no doubt Jesus would have loved him, but he might as likely have said "Mike, I have given you vast wealth and you have done nothing to help my children". You see he has tricked you into thinking he is the victim when in fact Mike Tyson claimed at one time to be a Christian and he had the means to do a lot of good in the world and stop living for himself. He also doesn't say a single word about the Nation of Islam vultures in his life.

By the way, the minute I had Joe Ray agreeing with me I would seriously be looking at retracting what I said.
So if George Bush said these words you would still agree or would you think he was full of crap and just trying to garner sympathy? 

how is he garnering sympathy? He is saying people are hypocrites how does that mean he is a poor victim? He has screwed up his own life, and other peoples lives, he has no sympathy from me. He does however point out that many Christians don't act like Christ, and that I believe should be considered, and acted upon. I think the guy is a jackass, would that prevent me from showing him the love that could, maybe, lead him to the kingdom? I sure hope not.

the rev

Rev,
My question was for Joe Ray who said he was just reading the words, not considering the man who said them. He puts several threads up on the OG daily discussing his unbridled hatred for George Bush. I think if George Bush said it Joe Ray would distrust his motives and think he was full of crap.

Sorry but I think this is a big pity party on his part

that was from your first post, and the last post suggested that if it was George he would think that, so obviously it would apply to Mike as well.

Come on, admit it, I am right

:)

the rev

No I do think he is trying to garner sympathy but I was directing that post at Joe Ray.

I think Tyson is using what is true of Jesus to garner sympathy for himself instead of reversing the situation and looking at how he failed to act like a "follower of Jesus" when he had the wealth and means to do so. That is my main beef with what he is saying. I think you judge people who claim to be Christians by a higher standard and this should apply to him because he once did.

Maybe if we look at what was said, rather than who said it, or why they said it, we may be challenged to grow deeper in our faith. Jesus said God send his rain on the just and the unjust, and calls us to be perfect in the way we love others, both sinners and saints, as the Father is.

the rev

You know some people just arent strong enough emotionally or spiritually to show the love of Christ. plus it takes a strong willed person to say they love christ and put up with all the jokes, the juding of the person etc.

But to have the ability to call someone a hypocrite you should at least be able to be above them. Someone can mess up one time and yes we are human and will mess up but one time then everyone labels them as a hypocrite. But the people that is doing the labeling and the judging need to look in the mirror because alot of these people dont even believe in God which means they know nothing about God in order to judge people.

If you say you believe something and don't do it, you are a hypocrite. If you tell other people to do something but you refuse you are a hypocrite. Being a good person, or not a hypocrite yourself, is not a qualification for judging whether someone else is a hypocrite or not. In my experience Tyson is right, the world is full of hypocrites, in fact I have a bit of hypocrite in me, hopefully growing less and less each day.

the rev

"I can hit him with my left or my right...Im amphibious!"

I make the assumption that beating your wife is never ok.

"I make the assumption that beating your wife is never ok. "

I wonder if the thought of turning the other cheek ever went trough her brain, as she was bouncing between the walls?

oh, and gusto, memnock and the Rev is correct

I tend to agree with Mike as well.

The thing with Mike is he has said some very profound things in regards to hypocrisy as well as judgement before.

I think Mike is doing the best he can and knows how to do to reach out for help but people don't want to help him but rather criticize and judge him. If you listen closely to Mike Tyson when he speaks he gives reasons as to why he acts the way he does.

One thing that Mike has said in regards to his behavior is that he often acts the way everyone expects him to. People in the media call him an animal, a beast and the like and since he hears it all the time it is hard for him not to believe that he is one and not to act the way people think he is going to act any way (he said this in an interview in Vanity Fair or some magazine like this).

Mike has alot of issue BUT I find Mike to be very candid and honest in regards to his thoughts, feelings, and beliefs.

I think this last comment of Mike reflects his frustration concerning those who claim to be christian who like to talk bad about him and in essence cut of his nose and yet in the same time pretend to want to offer him a rose to smell. I think he words are true and honest.