Chance the Rapper donated $1m Chicago Schools

In a bid to help the provide immediate action to the lack of good educational system in the State, Chance announced the $1 million donations at a press conference held at Westcott Elementary School in West Chatham. According to the rapper, this donation was collected from the ticket sales for his upcoming spring tour concert as well as the joint effort of concert promoters across the country.

He committed to donating $1 million to public schools in Chicago, believing that kids of today should not be held ‘hostage’ by political agendas.

more here https://happynews.today/2017/03/08/chance-rapper-supported-public-education-announcing-1m-donation-chicago-public-schools/

This guy's got a mil to give away and yet Ive never heard of him.

Complete waste of money imo.

Good for him. As far as I know hes has been a good person thought his career. Also talented too.

Also his KitKat Bar ad is pretty funny.

Good for him

Nice to see someone taking action rather than just talking!

That's a waste of a million.

It's either going to go towards a couple dozen teachers/CPS board member vacations, or in 6 months we'll find a warehouse full of a million dollars worth of desks.

PatK -

It's either going to go towards a couple dozen teachers/CPS board member vacations, or in 6 months we'll find a warehouse full of a million dollars worth of desks.

You do have a point. It would have been better to buy the products himself to ensure the money is spent well. But still its not a complete waste. His act puts pressure and brings to light just how these people running these schools are so petty that they are willing to shot change the kids.

We need more people who are willing to make a difference vs people point fingers and not taking action.

I bet about 75 cents of that gets to the kids 

Good guy for doing that but it's not gonngonna do a dam thing. Cps is a fukin disaster and 100mill isn't gonna change it

As Pat alluded to, it would be better if he spent the million dollars on tangible assets(like building science and math labs in their buildings), hopefully he put something in writing about how the money has to be spent. But good for him either way, at least he is trying to do something positive with his wealth and give back to the community.

PatK - 

I was going to post something similar but figured I would get flamed for it.

He would have been better off lighting $1 million on fire, at least it would have kept him warm.

PatK -

Sadly this. Likely would have better putting into some after school program

One other thing, I did the math a few years ago and calculated the Chicago Public School system's annual budget divided by the # of students enrolled.  I did the same for Naperville, IL (an upper middle class suburb of Chicago).  The City spends more per student than Naperville.....and gets dramatically worse results.

More money isn't going to change anything in the city.

UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

One other thing, I did the math a few years ago and calculated the Chicago Public School system's annual budget divided by the # of students enrolled.  I did the same for Naperville, IL (an upper middle class suburb of Chicago).  The City spends more per student than Naperville.....and gets dramatically worse results.

Yeah, but that's because they are only paying an average CPS salary of $74,000

- Karen Lewis

PatK - 
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

Yeah, but that's because they are only paying an average CPS salary of $74,000

- Karen Lewis

I am grateful that fat cunt is not mayor.  Holy shit that would have been a dumpster fire.

rich people do that for tax purposes. saves em $ somehow

he's running old school chicago con game. jesse jackson would be proud of him

he's pulling a 'donate money to me and i'll donate it to a cause and act like i'm saving the day'. his dad is emmanuels right hand man

the million will come from proceeds from an upcoming concert. watch how the game is going to unfold. he's going to do several concerts in chicago. because he's so ' concerned with the community and a good guy' the city will find funding to buy tickets for under privleged kids to attend these concerts. he will then take the proceeds from those ticket sales and donate it to the city. basically donating the cities own money back to it

he will then also praise the mayor for the great work hes been doing and donate money to the mayors reelection campaign.

he's getting millions of dollars of publicity, isn't donating a dime of his own money and the actual amount the city needs is 215 million.

his dad is thick as thieves with rahm, goes back to the harold washington day and is the first guy to give obama a cosign and make him legit in chicago politics. this is a scam dressed up as a gift

Tax write-off doe...

^^^ I did not know that about his father.  Interesting.