Chandler: Alvarez 'mostly motivated by money'

@Ealvarezfight: What Suprise!! , Chandler changes mind n wants a rematch Now haha Please guys understand Mike is being Told what to say and do ,Dont buy it. Phone Post

If you read the actual article, Chandler was actually pretty respectful towards Alvarez unfortunately, that is not the opinion that most people would get based upon that bullshit article headline. Phone Post

Bellator doesn't seem like a great spot for marquee fighters, unless spike really takes off, but who knows. I don't think he's getting less money in the UFC either its just better fights. Either way he should be in the UFC. Phone Post

UGCTT_chuckles1 - 

@Ealvarezfight: What Suprise!! , Chandler changes mind n wants a rematch Now haha Please guys understand Mike is being Told what to say and do ,Dont buy it. Phone Post

My first thought, and it's completely plausible.

Eddie's coming to the UFC.

I hope Eddie goes where he wants, I can see Bellators side, they put a lot behind him for years and they have that option

I really wanted Randy to fight Fedor, they put Randy on the shelf for a while and were going to keep him from ever fighting again

If Eddie was motivated by just money wouldn't he just keep getting quick easy fights outside of the UFC instead of sitting on the sidelines waiting this out. He wants to test himself in the UFC.

yellow wrkahlc -
UGCTT_chuckles1 -  @Ealvarezfight: What Suprise!! , Chandler changes mind n wants a rematch Now haha Please guys understand Mike is being Told what to say and do ,Dont buy it. Phone Post

My first thought, and it's completely plausible.

Eddie's coming to the UFC.

If what he's been saying in his tweets the last couple of days haven't been specific enough, this one sure sounds like the source of his frustration is Bellator and co. Sounds to me like he definitely wants out. Phone Post

TheMentalisT - 
caposa - 

Well, he is a prize fighter. I would assume money is the main motivation for most professional fighters, no?

If you had a chance to fight for the TOP org and fight the BEST guys, wouldn't you take a little paycut for what could be a great career/future choice?

Ok you're taking a few thousand less just for the fight pay, but what about the $ you would make from biggers sponsors, appearances etc? it would even out, no?

Them smaller orgs will not be around in the future.

LOL at seriously thinking you should take less money to fight better opponents

HenryO - 
TheMentalisT - 
caposa - 

Well, he is a prize fighter. I would assume money is the main motivation for most professional fighters, no?

If you had a chance to fight for the TOP org and fight the BEST guys, wouldn't you take a little paycut for what could be a great career/future choice?

Ok you're taking a few thousand less just for the fight pay, but what about the $ you would make from biggers sponsors, appearances etc? it would even out, no?

Them smaller orgs will not be around in the future.

LOL at seriously thinking you should take less money to fight better opponents

Did you not read the rest of his post?

Sure, he'd make less money his first two fights, but if he wins them, he'll be making more than Bellator could have afforded to pay him.

The smart move is to take UFC's contract.

Taking less money in the first place is not the smart move.

HenryO - Taking less money in the first place is not the smart move.

It is if it leads to bigger investments which won't be seen in his current job.

So he comes in tho the UFC and fights against someone like Maynard loses and his value is never the same no matter what promotion he goes to. That really seems like a smart move for him.

Everyone is so quick to compare the UFC to top sports leagues like the NFL, but it's nowhere close and the amount of money these guys are making is still largely a joke. Alvarez should make the safe move and go whoever pays him the most right now, the UFC should be able to blow Bellator out of the water on offers

HenryO - So he comes in tho the UFC and fights against someone like Maynard loses and his value is never the same no matter what promotion he goes to. That really seems like a smart move for him.

Everyone is so quick to compare the UFC to top sports leagues like the NFL, but it's nowhere close and the amount of money these guys are making is still largely a joke. Alvarez should make the safe move and go whoever pays him the most right now, the UFC should be able to blow Bellator out of the water on offers

It's called stepping up. It's on him whether he wins or not, HenryO. Playing it safe won't get him anywhere very fast.

Like I said, it's an investment. And considering the UFC is the big leagues of MMA, I don't blame them for starting him off small and waiting to see if he'll pay off. It's all business.

Eddie understands that, I'm sure.

*waits until Chandler is sick enough of sitting in Bellator waiting around for contenders to emerge and of course the eventual non-title fight that'll come his way to finally get to a point where he realizes he wants/needs more money to make his career seem worth it.

HenryO - So he comes in tho the UFC and fights against someone like Maynard loses and his value is never the same no matter what promotion he goes to. That really seems like a smart move for him.

I like the cut of your jib. If it was the nfl, nba, etc., the myriad of teams would get in a bidding war over him, thusly getting him market value. The ufc is one team, team Dana, they are the only big show in town, and they can offer whatever the fuck they want. Until the gov tells them otherwise

^meant to say "until Chandler sticks around enough". My fingers dont always type what my head is thinking apparently.

yellow wrkahlc - 

It's called stepping up. It's on him whether he wins or not, HenryO. Playing it safe won't get him anywhere very fast.

Like I said, it's an investment. And considering the UFC is the big leagues of MMA, I don't blame them for starting him off small and waiting to see if he'll pay off. It's all business.

Your logic is just completely wrong to me

Stepping up and taking less money?

IF every fighter feels the need to step up to ZUFFA and take a pay cut cutting out other promotions, fighter pay in MMA will continue to be a joke. People step up to the Premier LEague, NHL, NFL because it is more money.

If anyone needs to step up it's ZUFFA, or not if they choose they don't want Eddie that badly. Promotions like Bellator being there and keeping fighter pay up are definitely good for MMA. A world where a hundred grand is considered good money for a top 10 fighter definitely won't attract top athletes

HenryO - 
yellow wrkahlc - 

Your logic is just completely wrong to me

Stepping up and taking less money?

IF every fighter feels the need to step up to ZUFFA and take a pay cut cutting out other promotions, fighter pay in MMA will continue to be a joke. People step up to the Premier LEague, NHL, NFL because it is more money.

If anyone needs to step up it's ZUFFA, or not if they choose they don't want Eddie that badly. Promotions like Bellator being there and keeping fighter pay up are definitely good for MMA. A world where a hundred grand is considered good money for a top 10 fighter definitely won't attract top athletes

I think the plan is to take an initial pay cut to fight for a promotion where the top end of the pay scale is much higher than that of the lower tier promotions.

Someone in another thread mentioned that it also depends on how much a fighter is worth to a particular promotion. Alvarez is most likely worth more to Bellator than he is to the UFC because to Bellator hes a marquee name who can put people in the seats. Alvarez on a UFC card (at this point in time) will not be enough to put people in the seats by himself therefore he becomes worth more to Bellator than the UFC. But thats not to say he cant become just as important to the UFC as a guy like Frankie Edgar, Bendo, etc.