Chandler Says He Has Fight News Coming Soon

UFC lightweight Michael Chandler believes that his desire to reach the lightweight throne burns a lot more than that of former interim champion Dustin Poirier.

When it comes to blossoming rivalries on MMA’s biggest stage, not much has become as heated as the animosity between top-five 155lbers Poirier and Chandler. While the former Bellator titleholder has held a grudge ever since “The Diamond” doubted his title credentials pre-UFC 262, the feeling has well and truly become mutual.

At UFC 276 earlier this month, the pair almost came to blows Octagon-side prior to the main card, with security having to drag Chandler away as Poirier pointed and yelled in his direction.
While Chandler has previously dismissed Poirier as a potential opponent owing to the Louisianan’s comments, he now appears ready and willing to go through the #2-ranked contender if it gets him closer to his ultimate goal: the lightweight gold.

And although it seems that Poirier is beginning to return to a similar ambition, Chandler firmly believes that it pales in comparison to his own championship aspirations.

Chandler Reminds Poirier About Retirement Comments

During an interaction with the media at London’s The O2 this past weekend, Chandler assessed his next step having seen desired opponent Beneil Dariush booked opposite Mateusz Gamrot for UFC 280 in October.

After noting that, despite their in-person altercation and online back and forth, he still has respect for Poirier, Chandler did doubt whether his rival shares the same hunger as him, citing the Louisianan’s post-fight reaction following his defeat to Charles Oliveira as evidence.

“All personal attacks aside, all personal vendettas aside, I respect him and he respects me. That’s the foundation by which we build on,” Chandler said. “He’s one of the best in the world, I’m one of the best in the world. I believe I’m going to be world champion, he believes he still can be world champion — although I believe that I believe that more than he does.

“He’s talked about going up to 170. He’s talked about retiring. He’s said those words. I’ve not said those words one second. So, the UFC gold will be mine,” Chandler added. “If Dustin Poirier is next to get to that, so be it.”

After his journey back to a second shot at undisputed lightweight gold ended in another devastating submission defeat last December, Poirier was honest about his motivation and future, suggesting that another drop to 155 pounds was unlikely, and that the only matchup that interested him was against Nate Diaz at welterweight.

While we’re now months on from those remarks, and Poirier appears to have found a fresh dose of title hunger, Chandler has a clear memory about where a loss to “Do Bronx” drove “The Diamond” to — something he’ll look to replicate if he shares the Octagon with him down the line.

They are the exact same person. Let’s see them fight. Both kinda seem like dickheads who try to pretend they aren’t in front of the camera.

Being completely honest I never followed Chandler in Bellator and he’s grown on me quite nicely in the UFC. There’s not a lot of Fighters I’d be rooting for ahead of him

1 Like

Awesome, I hope it’s Conor

1 Like

Poirier is the next best fight

1 Like

Yeah I always pulled against him in Bellator, but he’s really won me over in the UFC. I hope he gets the Conor fight eventually

1 Like

I like Chandler and hopes he beats Dustin. He goes for the exciting win so it’s hard to have a boring fight with him, win or lose.

2 Likes

Dustin Also goes for finishes and is exciting. Not going the distance. Chandler goes for broke but doesn’t wear damage well.

1 Like

Dustin Poirier vs Michael Chandler lightweight banger in the works for UFC 281 in New York

1 Like

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is close to finalizing a lightweight slobberknocker between top 155-pound contenders Dustin Poirier and Michael Chandler, currently attached to the upcoming UFC 281 pay-per-view (PPV) fight card, set to go down on Sat., Nov. 12, 2022 inside Madison Square Garden in New York City.

That’s according to veteran reporter Ariel Helwani.
Poirier (28-7, 1 NC) is coming off a second-round submission loss to then-lightweight champion Charles Oliveira, snapping a three-fight winning streak that included back-to-back wins over Conor McGregor. “The Diamond” has captured 10 of his last 12 and is currently ranked No. 2 at 155 pounds.

That’s three spots above the No. 5-ranked Chandler, who managed to put together a 2-2 record since crossing over from Bellator MMA back in late 2020. “Iron” is coming off a “Knockout of the Year” contender opposite Tony Ferguson at UFC 274, which led to a “Notorious” callout that will remain unanswered.

He had geathje hurt like really bad, probably could have submitted, maybe…

Chandler has become annoying…hope he gets slept.

2 Likes

Good for Chandler, I hope he beats the barbecue sauce out of him. The good thing about Dustin fighting is that you know well see lots of you know whos boobies, and lots of DMs being slid into…

1 Like