Changing Careers Into Tech/Programing

I know there are several guys on here that are in this field, and I’d like some advice on a clear path into possibly changing careers. 

Ive been dabbling with different languages(Python,SQL,HTML) on a free app on my phone. It’s basically just fundamentals and messing with examples in a code playground. I’ve looked into different fields such as security, cloud, data, and front end/full stack. I think I’m finally leaning toward front end because it seems to be the most creative of the fields. There is an online bootcamp that’s fairly affordable that I’m considering attending. My biggest drawback is wondering how the hell you land a job with no experience and no degree? I’m not changing careers to chase money, because I make decent money now. I’m hoping that once I get some experience, I’ll be able to work remotely in the future(no chance of that in the career I’m in now).

Anyone on here that went the self taught/bootcamp route and successfully landed a job with no experience? If I go the front end route, I will start learning HTML,CSS, and JavaScript to begin with. I haven’t completely dove in yet, so I’m wondering if this is a good path. Any help is appreciated. 

1 Like

Bump for the night crew. 

Look up popular UI frameworks like bootstrap, material and semantic. I would also look into typescript / JavaScript so you have an idea of how static markup integrates with object oriented code. Additionally, look into popular frameworks that combine these elements like angular, vue or react. 

Go to Udemy.com and take a course. The rating system is reliable. Good luck. 

2 Likes
TFK_HossPearson -

Look up popular UI frameworks like bootstrap, material and semantic. I would also look into typescript / JavaScript so you have an idea of how static markup integrates with object oriented code. Additionally, look into popular frameworks that combine these elements like angular, vue or react. 

I think the bootcamp I’m looking at teaches bootstrap and angular in the full stack course. Udemy would probably be cheaper. 

Toiletclogger -
TFK_HossPearson -

I think the bootcamp I’m looking at teaches bootstrap and angular in the full stack course. Udemy would probably be cheaper. 

Perfect. It’s an industry standard. Udemy is great and has a lot of cheap, useful courses but a hands on boot camp is always good. 

How old are you?  Army will teach you cyber security with top secret ratings...

TheHerps -

This. Come out with top secret you'll be looking at 6 figures in a lot of 3 letter agencies 

What if you want to work in I.t. from ground up, e.g. 1st line tech support and the entry level jobs.  Comptia a+ course for example is free on Microsoft atm?.  What's a good tech support course that will actually get you a interview?. 

1 Like

Your best bet if you want a high paying career with Free courses is Google Certification courses.

Depending on your motivation level and how skillful you become you can get certified in 12-24 months and land a 100K starting salary yearly easily.

All you have to pay for is the certification tests but the training is free, and better than what any University would teach you.

Google Cloud Certs would be the most high paying of the google certs.

Or if you wanted something faster, then you’d go for a Developer Course Certification.

Hope this helps. I’ve been freelancing in the I.T. field for 22 years now. Good Luck.

1 Like
TheHerps -

Too old. In my 40’s. 

3 Likes
Q Anon - Your best bet if you want a high paying career with Free courses is Google Certification courses.

Depending on your motivation level and how skillful you become you can get certified in 12-24 months and land a 100K starting salary yearly easily.

All you have to pay for is the certification tests but the training is free, and better than what any University would teach you.

Or if you wanted something faster, then you’d go for a Developer Course Certification.

Hope this helps. I’ve been freelancing in the I.T. field for 22 years now. Good Luck.

Thanks for the info. I figured freelance work would be how I transition over if I couldn’t get a job with a company directly. My main goal is to be able to work remotely so I can move anywhere I want in the future. 

The cloud stuff like google, and amazon web services, I haven’t done a lot of research on. Seems like there is a big demand for that. Not sure if you have to have excellent math skills like most people do in data science, but that’s why I didn’t do much looking into it. So many different areas to go into in tech. I still haven’t made up my mind on which direction to go. 

Toiletclogger - 
Q Anon - Your best bet if you want a high paying career with Free courses is Google Certification courses.

Thanks for the info. I figured freelance work would be how I transition over if I couldn’t get a job with a company directly. My main goal is to be able to work remotely so I can move anywhere I want in the future. 

The average starting salary for a Google Cloud Certified architect is $135K, not too shabby.

probably after you get 2 years experience, you can start seeking jobs that pay $200-250K.

You can do it remotely, but i think most companies prefer in-house. However, I’m not sure on that because each company is diffferent.

TyrionGetsaDragon -

What if you want to work in I.t. from ground up, e.g. 1st line tech support and the entry level jobs.  Comptia a+ course for example is free on Microsoft atm?.  What's a good tech support course that will actually get you a interview?. 

From what I’ve seen, the security+ is a good one. I only watched a few videos on security. 

Q Anon -
Toiletclogger - 

The average starting salary for a Google Cloud Certified architect is $135K, not too shabby.

probably after you get 2 years experience, you can start seeking jobs that pay $200-250K.

You can do it remotely, but i think most companies prefer in-house. However, I’m not sure on that because each company is diffferent.

That seems like something that someone who has been doing software development for a few years would be able to move into. As of now, I’ve barely dabbled in HTML, Python and SQL. A friend of mine told me I could learn SQL and probably get a job being a SQL developer. Most SQL DBA positions I saw on indeed required a Bachelor degree. I don’t have a degree and I’m not going back to college, so I’m wondering what the best route is to get a job with no degree. The reason I’m leaning towards full stack, I’ve seen several posts for jobs that didn’t ask shit about a degree. They just post what languages they use and how many years of experience they prefer. Looks like cloud architects were already data scientists with a degree in computer science, but I could be wrong. I just read a couple of articles. 

In.

Im in a similar situation. Mostly worked in entry level IT (help desk,etc) and time to make a move. My degree is unrelated, so ive been looking into a bootcamp for development or some type of cloud or ccna cert.

I didnt know about the google certs. Much obliged.

effertime -

In.

Im in a similar situation. Mostly worked in entry level IT (help desk,etc) and time to make a move. My degree is unrelated, so ive been looking into a bootcamp for development or some type of cloud or ccna cert.

I didnt know about the google certs. Much obliged.

I thought about taking a helpdesk job or something like it while I learn. The problem with my current job is I work so many damn hours and it can be unpredictable hours as well. 

1 Like
Toiletclogger -
TyrionGetsaDragon -

From what I’ve seen, the security+ is a good one. I only watched a few videos on security. 

Cheers I'll look into it. I did a computing degree when I was younger but I quickly found out I.t. is a what have you done recently world an my degree is now worth less than a Instagram filter!. 

1 Like

I agree with cloud being your best bet for good money without years and years of working up. Looking at the industry as a whole, I honestly believe cloud is the future. 

Not sure id go with programming honestly. The market is pretty full and you'll definitely have to put in years for big money.

Security+ is good for military jobs and entry level pentesting and stuff if you're going that route. I got mine last year and honestly it wasn't that hard.

Imo Ccna is a REALLY good base for getting into the industry. Will also help immensely with the cloud track. That said, it's considered a starter cert but id disagree with that big time. It's actually fairly difficult.

Another it career 'hack' I've seen touted lately is salesforce admin. No clue how involved that is but learning 1 program sounds way easier to me than several programming languages.

I almost forgot. Almost EVERY job posting im seeing wants experience with virtualization and vmware. There are proprietary certs for this that will almost def land you a well paying job.  They even have their own bootcamp you're required to take in order to sit for the exam. Downside is it's several thousand dollars for the program. If you have the money to invest, this might be the way to go.

1 Like
Q Anon - 
Toiletclogger - 

To OP

A poster on another thread ( industries career fields moving forward or in future ) gave very similar advice.

I took that along with what is posted above and below to mean this area seems more wide open so to speak. If you can / will go in this direction there is a more direct path to higher pay and available work.

To me it sounds a bit like being shown a path on how to cut in line and having your friend that works security let you in behind the gate. Clearly a path with hard work and study but a way to not bang your head against the wall with everyone else.

1 Like