Changing Careers Into Tech/Programing

I will take a guess that that gig will be a unique type of hell and for no reason. Surely what they will be paying you can get a job that doesn’t require reverse engineering code that pays the same or more?

Yeah it’s very boring. Very dry product. I’ve often said it’s like working with taxes. Some people love that shit, most don’t. It’s boring and dry.

The other half is I’m being misused. I was promoted basically off the Peter principal. I was exceptional at my job so they put me in a management type role. I can do that job, but I don’t like dealing with people, not all day long, which is really all I do. So create features and while doing it say to myself, I could just do this right now better and faster than the people I’m giving it to, but I can’t. I have to type it all up and then watch people fumble the ball all day long and help them fix it.

So it’s a boring product where I now no longer do the things that at least kept it somewhat exciting.

3 Likes

Change of job?

BTW how much do you think your situation effects the progress of the product overall?

Yeah that’s brutal but typical. 1 good developer can easily outwork 5 mediocre ones, so yeah if you promote the 1 good one to manage the 5 shitty ones you’re worse off then just paying that 1 good one an excellent salary and getting him a single junior/intermediate helper.

But there is this mental block about paying a technical person more than management.

It’s weird they have no problem paying out $1200 a day to an external resource who are completely useless but they cringe at the idea of paying $200k to a highly skilled technical person who isn’t managing a team.

1 Like

I will say though if you can get promoted past people/product management to the next level which is more about strategy, it is a bit more interesting and more intellectual as well.

Do you like looking at obfuscated code?

#include<stdio.h>
main()
{
int i,l,u;
char *ilu="STILL THINKING HOW I DID IT?
!r/g.g#i.g/g!j/g.g#i.g/g+g!q0g!mag/h(g!m]g+g!p<g!h`i!l`g!k`g!h
<g+g!p}g!i}g!i}g!h0g!g]g}g!g}h`g!h}g+g!p<g!h`g}g`g!h}g`h]g`g0g}
g0g!g}g`g!h<g+g!q]g!n`g!o0g+g!r]g`h!g]g`g0h!g]g}g!g}g!j0g+g!n`g!
i0g!h}g!g}g!g]g`g0g]g`g0g!h0g(g+g!m}g!g]g!h]g0g`g0g]g!n0g(g+g!m]g
`g]g}g!g0g!g`h!gag]g!j0g(g+g!p]g0g`g0g`h]g!hag]g0g(g!k/g.h>g(g0g
g]g+g!i`j-g`h0g`h-g`k-g`l*g0g!i0g|gg~i+g!i.g-g.k-g.h]g.h-g.k-
g.i-g]g(g.g(g!g|hg~h+g!q`h0g]g`g!r(g.h>g/g]g~g0g+g!p0g`g0g!g
}g]h+g!u]g0g";
for(i=28;l=ilu[i++];)
for(u=(*(ilu+++i)-((1<<6)+(1<<5)+(1<<2)+(1<<1)));u--;)
putchar(!((l-11)^(1<<5))?l-1-(1<<5):l-1);
}

Result:

1 Like

Honestly one of the best moves I have made in my life. The salary that security companies and the like offer for programming/remote support is insane. Of course I’m pulling double duty running one if our branches and handling programming but my salary almost doubled when accepting the programmer/remote support position.

It’s so easy, at least what I deal with, it’s mind bottling what my company pays for it.

Hell I’m sure other industries could put you over the 100k mark depending on what you’re doing.

This worked great for me because I didn’t have to get any more schooling or certifications just drove right in.

What skillset do you work with?

Pretty interesting development in progress at my gig.

I don’t know if I ever explained this before, but I work for a very small (less than 10 people) tech company and we service a handful of pretty large organizations in town.

My role for almost my entire time (nearly 3 years) is to work on site at one of them as the dedicated in-house developer. So, it’s like I work for the big organization - I go to their offices every day for 8 hours - but in reality I am not their employee. As such, I am not eligible for the big org’s benefits, health insurance, 401k, and of course there’s a middle man cutting into my potential earnings.

A few days ago the owner of the place told me that after 10+ years of subcontracting out, they think the time has come to have a dev as a full timer on the payroll directly - and that he and everyone here want it to be me at almost any cost. We already talked terms and his opening offer was a 30% pay bump, full health insurance, access to the 401k and all of that jazz.

My current boss pays me well, but he can’t compete with an organization of 100+ people with revenue in the many millions. There’s no health insurance, no 401k, or any other type benefits.

It’s a bit of a weird and awkward position. Small boss is a great guy, we’re friends in fact and have hung out many times - and this contract is going to be a drag for him to lose. He just collects money from my being here - his involvement is close to zero. I often don’t talk to him for months.

I consider myself to be a loyal person, but I think I’m too old now to abandon an incredibly sweet opportunity that’s just dropped right into my lap out of loyalty alone. I could give him a chance to compete with the offer I am looking at, but I know he can’t possibly.

I’m thinking he will understand and not try and pressure or guilt me into staying on with him. We will see. He doesn’t know yet - the big org plans to call him in on Monday.

He might have a clause in the contract where they have to pay a fee if they hire you. Maybe everyone wins.

30% is a massive jump to do the same job you’ve already been doing… also keep in mind you can now be promoted, continue to get raises. Why the heck wouldn’t you take it.

Don’t feel bad for the business owner, he almost certainly has more money than you.

I’ve been in your boss’s position (sort of).

A client org wanted to hire a previous employee of mine that had worked on several of their projects… the client reached out to me and asked if I was OK with it.

Even though that person wasn’t working for me anymore, my contract with the client forbade them to hire anyone that had worked for my company for a period of time.

I liked the former employee, and that was right about the time I was in the process of becoming a LEO, so I gave him my blessing.

That was close to 18 years ago… that employee is now one of the top managers at that org and is doing very well… If I still had a development business I’m sure he’d find me projects to work on.

We (and other former employees) have been meeting every year to catch up and have a drink, and I joke that he’ll have to hire me when I retire from my current job.

I don’t have a contract of any kind, so no worries there.

edit: I misread what you’re describing. I don’t think the two parties have anything like that in writing.

However, one potential sticking point is that apparently the contract between the two bosses does not specify who owns the actual code base. It’s millions of lines across a dozen different projects all of which are absolutely critical to the business. Web, mobile, office administration, etc. He also owns the computers I use, the licenses for some of the software (e.g. Photoshop) , the office furniture and even holds control of the repos.

I’m not an IP attorney, but I think the tech boss could have a legal case that he owns everything and that if he goes, it all goes with him without compensation. I told the big boss this and his response was “well, I’ll make him a fair offer if need be, but if it comes to it, I have a lot of very good attorneys”.

All that above is just my assumption of worst case scenario.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure client will own the code. It sounds like its all specific to their business and you’re the only developer working on the code and you’re exclusively on assignment to that client.

1 Like

Maybe. Or maybe it’s client only owns “final product”?

Is that a thing?

What are they paying for? And why are you on client site?

Like why do they have a developer on site and not a support person?

I think with your current setup they’d have a hard time trying to claim they are paying for a product and not for code when they only have a developer on site and they have exclusive usage of him and the code he writes.

1 Like

But who knows, I would never do this type of arrangement without a contract so I’ve never had to worry about this before… all theoretical until it goes to court. I’m sure it would likely get settled between the parties before that ever happened.

2 Likes

I’ve been a “permanent contractor with no contract” for like… 15 years. Not on site, though.

I imagine most of the clients I have dealt with (email, Zoom, whatever), over long periods of time… assume that I am a salaried employee.

Yes. Small boss used to come to the building semi-regularly and conduct business, both that of his other clients and direct his staff working remotely on the new requests from the big org.

Big org eventually needed more and more things done and faster and with less communication layers and asked small boss to try and find someone local who could come to the site every day.

Small boss kept coming in for my first few months, then less and less and eventually stopped completely after he realized I had things handled. He’s been by twice since end of lock down.

For a while after that, many other employees thought small boss’ contract wasn’t continuing and I was hired by big org and was a company employee.