Changing Careers Into Tech/Programing

For those of you who work in teams, how often do you encounter coders who are inept? I’ve known a lot of inept IT guys of all types.

Most of them are but it isn’t really that difficult to handle a team based sprint load of work. The nature of those types of projects overshoot timelines by a ton on purpose. You got people doubling up on story points etc. Workloads are usually small.

Practically blowing my brains out, “learning” React at work. I was thrown into the deep end… on a project setup by a backend guy, who had been working on it solo for 5 months, or so. Now I gotta figure out… how it works, why it works, and make new pages, etc.

I am a vanilla JS pro… and oldschool jQuery/bootstrap/etc pro.

This is painful. Just figured something out… after like 8 hours… would have taken me 2 seconds in vanilla JS.

2 Likes

1 Like

I’ve felt your pain Windfall.

Like a lot of things in programming I feel like you have to wire your brain to think differently in order to solve the same problems.

In the case of React it took me some time to learn how to work with concepts such as

• props (prop drilling, prop lifting)
  • rendering
  • lifecycle functions
  • state (plus context, global state management)
  • Virtual DOM and things like getElementById() not working

Jumping headfirst into an existing project sounds like a nightmare, because it’s so different and there’s a lot of moving parts that may not make much sense in the beginning.

2 Likes

I was (and am) there. And eventually it’ll click. It just takes time to immerse in it.

This is a huge red flag. Even the best developer doesnt code as well when they are working solo. You have too little reason to slow down and make sure everything is readable and organized. You have your work cut out for you

Learn nextjs.

Well, for those still following along, my change in employment takes effect on Aug 1st.

The small boss was very cool about the whole thing. Or at least he was on the surface. He’s had the contract for like 15+ years, so he did fine. He didn’t try and talk anyone out of anything. It seems like the transition will be smooth.

I negotiated for a bit more than originally discussed. It’ll end up being a 35% pay jump, plus I get some of that sweet sweet big org ppo health insurance, which I need. I think there’s also some kind of employee ownership program coming soon too.

With any luck, this will be the last job I ever have.

4 Likes

Good luck!

You worked all these years as a contractor without health insurance and 401k???

And you feel guilty?

So here is a fun one. Long-time client is working with Amazon(?), and as part of some security audit, everyone needs to install this thing that allows them to remotely control everyone’s machine.

Anyone ever encountered this request?

Seems like a complete non-starter, for a personal computer. If the device is bought and paid for by the company, and could be used only for working on that company - OK, I guess.

With JumpCloud, you can manage identities, access, and devices from a single location, centralizing your IT management needs. Regardless of where your organization operates, JumpCloud enables you to secure and manage it all.

Yeah that’s not crazy… If you’re a contractor and they’re asking to do that I’d expect them to provide you a laptop… If you’re a real company providing services than I’d purchase a laptop specifically for them and then bill them for it.

I’m finally having fun. As I bang my head through various issues… starting to… know how to use things. Without necessarily understanding the why. A syntax I kept seeing, had me scratching my head… I googled it… OK, it’s called “short circuit evaluation”. Cool.

I have not bothered to read about why this is needed, but, again, just know how (and that I must) use it:

const [data, setData] = useState(whatever);
const [blah, setBlah] = useState(whatever);

Why can’t I just directly set blah to something? Whatever. Will read about when I am bored.

I am going to get back on AWS studying today and try to get all the exams done next month. Been working hard but not been scheduling in AWS learning so not been doing any.

2 Likes

Short answer is that React was not initially supposed to do all that it does, so they made up a lot of stuff along the way (including the move from class to functional components).

As a result, you have all these weird constructs and rules that you have to get used to.

Solid JS and Svelte had the benefit of being created after React was already there, so they seem to have simplified some things and are easier to learn (or so I heard).

1 Like

Right @DoWorkSon, you are I are getting back on the horse. I am going to start scheduling AWS study and you are going to do the same. You tell me what and when you are going to study, I will do the same, starting tomorrow. We are both going to hold the other to their word. No excuses.

2 Likes

So that’s a “yes”, then?

Lets Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

I’ll formulate a better response later.

3 Likes

PM sent

2 Likes