Changing Careers Into Tech/Programing

I’m like the one man team where I work. My target audience is small but often very non saavy. I have to spend a lot of time thinking about the ui/ux components and how to make them as easy to navigate as possible. I don’t know how it’s formally taught anywhere, I just know some patterns that seem intuitive from so many years wasted on the internet.

1 Like

I almost got a Senior UX position at a big… hotel booking website, based in SEA (maybe some here could name it) - got past the 3rd/final video interview, and thought I nailed it. Then… didn’t get the offer.

This was in Feb 2020 - and this company had to lay off a large portion of their workforce, when the pandemic hit. So maybe if I did land the gig… I would have been immediately let go.

It’s not just… knowing how to make a pretty nav. Can you explain your design decisions? Do you have data to back it up? Do you like to draw storyboards/prototypes? I sure don’t. Yikes.

2 Likes

1 hour 40 mins more Maarek done.

2 Likes

A couple days behind schedule but I’m going to start my first run at a practice exam tomrorow. If i get above a 60% i’ll be stunned.

2 Likes

CCP is odd in that it appears to cover everything at a low level, making it feel useless. It basically only seems to show that you understand cloud computing/AWS concepts and little else?

1 Like

Yup, it’s filling up your buzzword bingo cards. What every acronym is, and what’s its used for. read the intros to all the services. You should know what they all are before you take it.

You’ll get questions on the well architected framework (commit that to memory) and some questions about EC2 pricing and when to use what pricing tiers from my memory. They grill you on some database stuff too, like what one would be the best to use for a specific use case.

1 Like

2 hours more Maarek in the bank.

1 Like

It’s almost silly, isn’t it? You can name 1,000 AWS services but would have zero ability to dev with them unless you have learned outside of CCP.

I don’t think it’s silly. Awareness of what exists out there is important… when it’s time to use something you can always look up how to use it but you need to know it exists to make those decisions. So it’s useful in that sense.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a personal account I screwed around with free tier stuff but until there’s a need in the workspace and you gotta cut checks to use it that’s when you really get immersion unfortunately.

Pay to play

1 Like

But it doesn’t show actual dev competency? I’ve spoken to “devs” who would sound like absolute IT savants to the average Joe but couldn’t do much at all when it came to building something.

Not trying to trash what you said or people who get CCP but it doesn’t show much. The only thing I can think it would do for someone is show they know what to get someone else to do unless they go beyond it to architect level or above.

Train hard, fight easy.

If you are a dev and you haven’t truly questioned why you did this and haven’t considered putting your fist through a screen at least once, you aren’t ready to do anything big.

It was assigned to all team members of my business unit (qa, business analysts, product/project ) - it’s to get all backgrounds of people familiar with the concepts. You’re not going to be able to do much other than putt around in the console after completing the course, but that’s the intent

1 Like

Before I started any AWS study I had already used dynamoDB, RDS, CloudFront, Cognito, EC2, S3, elastic IPs etc a fair amount. You gotta put in the hours.

That’s important though and they can also look it all up themselves.

I’d argue the ability of dev to research, use documentation and figure shit out is more important than what they’ve built up in their memory through repeatedly doing a task.

1 Like

You, Sir, are spot fucking on.

IMO your skill as a dev is measured in your ability to solve problems and also to have the prescience (experience) to stop as many of them from happening as possible.

2 Likes

1 hr 30 mins more Maarek.

3 Likes

I’m getting my ass kicked at work but I’m still planning on some practice exam prep this week to see how bad I get shelled on these questions

3 Likes

I’m almost finished the first run through Maarek CCP.

I’m proud of myself for gritting my teeth. Concentrating can be so hard at times. As I think I mentioned on here before, it’s not like running where you can push out miles when tired, it’s having to actively concentrate on something that is so dry/boring.

“If you are going through hell, keep going!”

Good luck I guess

2 Likes