Changing Careers Into Tech/Programing

Oh man. I got it.

I just sat back and started watching Youtube videos… at 1.25x or 1.5x speed, and went full Neo “I know Kung Fu” mode. I scrapped what I was trying to do above, and used something that I saw demonstrated by 5 different Youtubers… before someone finally referred to it by a name - lifting state up.

Saw it here first. She even calls it a “hack”, for some reason. No mention of “lifting state up”.

I’m no longer adjusting this parent variable at all.

(inventory.map(i => )

I’m just lifting up the child API data, and then propping it down into a sibling child component… where I then match the .ids

You half mocked this up… but without the all-important props/functions going back and forth. I now know… that you just wanted me to figure it out for myself. …Right? Right.

Now I realize that I don’t need to use Context at all, for the parent inventory data… so I imagine I should remove that. Ie - only use Context if you must?

It wasn’t my intention, brother… I just wanted to quickly use some code to express what I was trying to say.

2 Likes

[quote=“Windfall, post:1561, topic:2835980”]
Now I realize that I don’t need to use Context at all, for the parent inventory data… so I imagine I should remove that. Ie - only use Context if you must?
[/quote].

Yeah, looks like for this use case you don’t really need it, maybe it would be the case if you shared state with several different components under a parent…

I don’t use Context and currently think the only reason for me to use it would be to keep state in a component which I wanted to make publicly available (so other users don’t need extra dependencies).

In my current setup I’ll use Zustand for any global or scoped state, and react-query for “server-state” (meaning datasets or anything that comes from an external API or data source).

This video goes into the details and advantages of this method:

Took the cert exam yesterday.

Nearly had a heart attack when I found out I wouldn’t get my score in the lab.

Got this in an email this morning:

“Wish it. Want it. Do it.” - Brian Griffin

7 Likes

Great job

1 Like

Well done, Sir!

“Conceive, believe, achieve!” - Luke Rockhold

1 Like

boi
Yeah Boi Flava Flav GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

1 Like

Great job

1 Like

Sub

1 Like

Congrats how was it? Easier than you thought? Harder?

1 Like

I’d say harder than I expected. I did the CCP cert using a training slide deck and the mock exams and scored very well.

This time I did the same thing and I passed but I didn’t get as good of a score. I walked out of the lab thinking it was a coin-flip that I passed or not. there were very specific questions about services that the mock exams and slide decks didn’t cover, which is only what you’d get from reading the full details of the service on the site or from white papers.

If I had to do it over I’d focus on more textbook style studying on those documents and less on nailing a high mock exam score.

3 Likes

Good feedback and congrats!

This is good inspiration/reminder that we should all be working on our craft no matter where we are with our skills and career.

1 Like