"Changing The Game"

I wanted to hear/know what you guys thought about hearing that phrase every time a new phenom comes into MMA. We've heard it about Georges St. Pierre, Jon Jones, Conor McGregor, etc. But can any one fighter really change the game? No matter how much new fighters study their games they'll all either not have the longer arms, or the explosive take downs, or fast twitch reactions and movements, the ability to swtich stances or be southpaws, the genetics for incredible cardio, etc. Sure some of it can be learned, but these guys have an "x" factor.

We've seen Olympians come into the sport (barring Rousey and a very few others) not do so hot.

Will one fighter ever really be the blue print for all future fighters? We still haven't really seen it in boxing even which is much older than MMA.

Hmm wonder which Olympians you are talking about... Daniel Cromier has certainly torn through every man not named Jon jones...

Henry Cejudo looked a little flat last fight but looked amazing in phx. Yoel Romero even at his late start in the game is dominating, Ben Askren is still the biggest what if outside the UFC these Olympians are genuine studs. Let's not forget Mark Coleman and Dan Henderson revolutionizing the game.... Not sure what you were getting at but the Olympians are a cut above. Phone Post 3.0

Certain boxers have been the blueprint for all others but the unfortunate truth is that so few are skilled enough to follow that blueprint.

RUSRedDevil - Hmm wonder which Olympians you are talking about... Daniel Cromier has certainly torn through every man not named Jon jones...

Henry Cejudo looked a little flat last fight but looked amazing in phx. Yoel Romero even at his late start in the game is dominating, Ben Askren is still the biggest what if outside the UFC these Olympians are genuine studs. Let's not forget Mark Coleman and Dan Henderson revolutionizing the game.... Not sure what you were getting at but the Olympians are a cut above. Phone Post 3.0
There have certainly been olympic gold medalists that fell flat in mma - majoros vs kid yamamoto comes to mind, mostly people who signed up for one fight for good money in japan, but I get what you are saying.

I think we have gone beyond what any one person is capable of achieving in regards to widespread impact. It would certainly be hard for an olympic athlete to do something that others could replicate, that's why they are olympic athletes. I think the game just changes, we see things come and go, it's certainly a 'trend' sport. Phone Post 3.0

There have been people who changed the game. Anderson Silva absolutely changed striking in mma.
Chuck Liddell set a prototype.

Gsp and Jones were unique talents but they haven't changed the game long term. Phone Post 3.0