Charles Poliquin?

Anybody familiar with this guy's work? Is it worthwhile reading? Apparently two of this books are out of print or otherwise unavailable, and are going for ridiculous prices on E-Bay and from Amazon sellers... By ridiculous, I mean in excess of $150.00. Is there anything there to justify these kinds of prices for this stuff?

Example from Amazon

Not a fan of CP.

TAKU

NO, check out T-nation.com for a bunch of his articles. To be honest, his stuff sounds like the old "Joe Weider principles" for bodybuilding with new names. If the books were around $20 I would say to get them, but not at those prices.

NO, check out T-nation.com for a bunch of his articles. To be honest, his stuff sounds like the old "Joe Weider principles" for bodybuilding with new names. If the books were around $20 I would say to get them, but not at those prices.

Actualy, like most of his ideas, the 1-6 principal was not created by him.

It is however an excellent program. I have used the 1-6 appraoch with awesome results.

TAKU

What's the 1-6 principle? Thanks.

Search the archives on T-mag you will find it.

TAKU

been to a couple seminars at PPC - East, where he is obviously highly thought of.

he also trains adam nelson, US shotputter/Olympic gold medalist.

that being said, I wouldn't pay $150 for a bible autographed by jesus christ.

IIRC he was getting mad props a few years ago for helping then Arizona Cardinals WR David Boston put on 30lbs of muscle. Boston claimed he stopped eating junk food and started working his posterior chain.

Boston got traded to Miami and tested positive for steroids.

"but he's pretty insistent that 8-12 reps are for mass and 4-6 reps are for strength. No exceptions. "

Not true. He's even stated before he typically works out with 3 reps or less. Most of his articles are aimed towards a general audience; he simplifies things so that the concepts are easy to understand. Those generalized rep range guidelines are directed towards beginner and intermediate lifters; and he has never stated one range is strictly for "pure hypertrophy" or "pure strength." Nor does he apply these protocols under all circumstances- there are other factors affecting rep protocol prescription but it would complicate the article, he holds back quite a bit some times.

In his seminars, and certification manuals he is a lot more specific and in depth. I think his public books in print are poor (they have minimal content for the price and pages), but I like his certification manuals and the overall information he teaches; I don't agree with everything he says, but there isn't anyone out there I agree with on everything. He also openly admts when and where he has received his influences and gives credit when its due, so I'm not sure what taku was getting at. His methodologies have wworked VERY well for myself. With that being said, I would never pay the rediculous price his out of print books are now going for. His sport specific coaching manuals are excellent. He also has some GREAT in depth articles in some ofthe late 80s back issues of the NSCA journal. He was one of the first coaches in the AMericas to recognize the superiority of undulatory periodization models among other things way back in the 80s from the influence of his european collegues.

toolin, I still don't understand... how does your paraphrased sentence = "no exceptions" ?

Have you read any of his programs for absolute strength development (not relative strength) in athletes like in his journal articles, or sport specific strength coaching manual programs?

These are quality mass building outlines for athletes not bodybuilders, yet they don't follow those prescriptions. See the NSCA journal, Volume 10 #3 1988 for one of his football training articles outlining one.

I also noticed in one of his tmag articles (which is largely a bodybuilding mag) he includes 4-6 rep work in his hamstring programs.

I had a few consultations with him. It was being standard things.

"It is however an excellent program. I have used the 1-6 appraoch with awesome results. "

1-6 lifting or "wave loading" is awesome....I agree 100%. Sent most of my lifts to new heights. The correct term I believe is Post Tetanic Potentiation, it is more a CNS training system which heightens or acitvates your CNS very acutely and hence "wakes" up your body. You actually become stronger as sets go on, you should anyway but if not then I would say a review of what a person is doing would be appropriate.

Anyway, as Taku said, excellent.

He renamed some of the old "Weider Principles" the "Poliquin Principles" and wrote a book. I swear, the more stuff I read form him the more and more he sounds like Joe Weider and his magazines from the late 70's early 80's. Any body else get that feeling??

No

here you go:

The following books are now ON SALE at www.ppceast.com.

1) All Titles from Charles Poliquin are now on sale. ONLY for the remainder of May. That means you have 9 more days to procure ?Modern Trends in Strength Training?, ?Winning the Arms Race? and ?German Body Composition? for the outrageous price of $25.00 ? including domestic shipping! Act now, as I assure you, this will not continue past June 1st.

2) Applied Strongman Training for Sport ? the latest book from Charles Poliquin and myself on the basics of using strongman tools CORRECTLY! For the next 9 days, you can get this book for the same $25.00 ? including domestic shipping.

cool.

1/6 Principle in a nutshell-

Warm up on bench(for example), working up to a near max single(as close as you can get to your 1RM). Then rest 4-10 minutes, drop the weight down to where you can just get 6 reps. Rest another 4-10 minutes, and go back up to your previous heavy weight, only add 5 pounds and do a single. Rest and do the same with your weight for six. Rest and repeat.

I was doing this during deployment, and had great results. It just takes forever(about 45 minutes to do 4 waves), so I would do it separate from the rest of my lifting on that day.

Haven't tried it on any other exercise than bench, so I don't know how it would work.

It only takes forever if you plan it poorly. As per the articles recommendations you should work with pairs of exercises as follows.

Set 1 Weighted Chins

2 min rest

Set 1 Weighted Dips

2 min rest

Set 2 Weighted Chins

2 min rest

Set 2 Weighted Dips

This way you get a lot of work done and you still get at least 4 min rest between sets of the same movement.

I did it this way and had excellent results.

TAKU