checking low kicks???

I have an ongoing debate about checking low kicks. It's been my experience that to check with the shin bone is the proper technique. As uncofortable as it may be to the checker is less damaging (and equally uncomfortable to the aggressor) then accepting with the muscle of the shin. Please help settle this debate.

Between taking a lump on the shin or eating a kick to the leg, I'll take the lump on the shin.

However, when possible, you *should try* to block with the knee. Its hard to do consistently, and its hard to train with b/c you can fuck your legs up on someones knee, or fuck your partners leg up on your knee.

But there are other alternatives.

The Push Kick is your friend.

Submarine Kick or Cut Kick the support leg.

Step in with an attack/combo of your own. It gets you inside of the kicks arc, therefore taking a lot of the heat off the kick.

Just a few ideas....

Khun Kao

What's a submarine kick? [sarcasm]

You can jam the kick by stepping in with your lead leg. That is your leg will contact their upper leg preventing them from getting any power into the kick...but you should really come in with an elbow to the face when you do.

You are moving into grappling range. I am a grappler so I kind of prefer this, but if you use the check defence you have more striking options open to you. I guess that would have to be why the strikers like it the most.

Thank you for your input.

When the low kick comes, step in with a jab. You might still eat the kick, but more often than not(once you have the tech down), the kick will be off balance and off power. It also gives your opponent something to think about on the next kick. I used it in a club fight(NHB), the guy threw a couple low kicks, met by my jab every time. He stopped using the low kicks after 2 or 3.

Thanks to the late great Alex Gong for teaching me this one...RIP F-14

When the low kick comes, step in with a jab. You might still eat the kick, but more often than not(once you have the tech down), the kick will be off balance and off power. It also gives your opponent something to think about on the next kick. I used it in a club fight(NHB), the guy threw a couple low kicks, met by my jab every time. He stopped using the low kicks after 2 or 3.

Thanks to the late great Alex Gong for teaching me this one...RIP F-14

Good point on the jab counter...

I should point out that to jam the kick you don't step straight in. You enter in at an angle. Say they are throwing a right leg kick, you would step in forward and to your left. This angle doesn't position you nicely for a jab, but it does for a right elbow. You disrupt the opponants balance you can work to control the head and deliver knees if you wish to keep him up or you throw him \ trip him (my preference).

excellent advice.

Most important piece of advice (i learnt the hard way in my last mma fight, although i won i couldnt bend my leg or sleep for 3 weeks) is dont move backwards against someone trying to legkick u. Whenever i stepped in with punches i was safe from the legkick, when i stepped backwards defending punches or feints i got nailed.

MOVE FORWARD all the time.

LEMon is very correct!

LEMon, Whens your next fight? I found the last one very entertaining (in a good way), and I too was wondering if it was ever going to end.