Chiefs lose another great. :(

A champion steps aside
Will Shields played like a Hall of Famer on the field and conducted himself like one off the field. He will be missed between the sidelines and in the locker room now that he has announced his retirement after a brilliant 14-year career. "The love for the game never decreased but, as the years passed, the physical requirements of the game became harder to fulfill each and every day," Shields announced on his website. "If it (were) up to me, I would play football forever but, as we all know, that is unrealistic. However, I do hope to always be connected to the game in some capacity." Shields, 35, never missed a game in his NFL career and started all of one of his 224 career contests, but nagging aches and pains were preventing him from participating fully in practices in recent years. Shields, a right guard, was elected to the Pro Bowl in each of his final 12 seasons. In his final game, he tied Randall McDaniel's record for the most Pro Bowl games played. He was named the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year in 2003 for his work in the community, and his "Will to Succeed" Foundation will continue its impressive work.

Source: NFL.com

all time great IMO.

Losing him and possibly Wiegmann makes me feel warm and fuzzy thinking about opening day :-)

Weigmann too? damn. what did you hear about Casey?

The nfl.com article I read 2 days ago said that he was contemplating retirement.

shit.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/KC/10130376

"Roaf retired abruptly just before the opening of training camp. It's possible that only Waters and Gonzalez will remain of the great Chiefs line of a few years ago because center Casey Wiegmann, an 11-year veteran, is also contemplating retirement. "

I hope your o-line is bad opening day but after that good luck :-)

lol thanks

Casey is not gone for sure but its likely. Our O-line at this point looks like this:

LT: Damion McIntosh

LG: Brian Waters

C: ?

RG: Chris Bober

RT: Chris Terry / Jason Welbourne

Joker I bet you are more then happy not to have Jared Allen lined up against you guys aswell.

Also Will Shields needs to go into the hall in my mind.

Where is Jared Allen? Is he holding out? That makes things MUCH better imo :-)

Waters may move to Center.

Jared Allen is gone DUI I belive, 4 games suspension.

VERY NICE!!!

GREAT SUCCESS!!!!!!!

That best O-line in football is a shell of what it use to be.

Jup, dont know how lucky we were with two future hall of famers like Roaf and Shields. And a not to shabby Waters as the other guard before its gone.

Biggest problem right now is we got a too easy schedule to get a good pick for next year, so the mediocracy will continue.

You guys just traded Dante Hall and have Trent Green AND Larry Johnson on the trading block as well...

Im looking forward to opening day!!!

Larry Johnson? say wha...???
yeah 5th round pick for Dante.
He has not been super effective lately.
We need a youth movement.
And the schedule isn't as easy as you may think.
three road games out of the first four and last four.
the bye isn't timed as well as it could be.
But its not the worst.

^^^

http://www.kansascity.com/159/story/78663.html