Chimaev on Covington

How many interviews was Crocop doing when he was fighting 4-8x a year in MMA and sometimes kickboxing as well?

Back then the media covered the fights and not what was being said on twitter. The news was actual news and not twitter banter or podcast chatter.

How many DC or Joe Rogan quotes pass for MMA news headlines these days?

When Crocop was fighting Hunt, Bonjasky, Sapp in kickboxing and Big Nog, Wanderlei, Fujita, Igor, Randleman, Fedor, Aleks, Barnett, Coleman, etc… in MMA he was fighting 5, 6 or 8 times a year and he did that many years back to back.

Even when he made his MMA debut vs Fujita, he still took three kickboxing fights that year and the year prior he was fighting Ernesto Hoost and Mike Bernardo in K1.

Anyway…back to Chimaev and Covington and the modern version of MMA news.

Before jumping up to 185 pounds, the undefeated Chimaev (12-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) says he would take two more fights in the welterweight division: Colby Covington and then a title shot.

Covington (17-3 MMA, 12-3 UFC) recently claimed Chimaev turned down a fight against him, but the Chechnya-born fighter says he has accepted multiple fights with big names – Covington included. Chimaev said current middleweight champion Alex Pereira and former title holder Robert Whittaker were also on the shortlist of potential opponents.

“Colby, they call me many times,” Chimaev said on The MMA Hour. “Do you accept the fight here? Do you accept the fight there? I said, ‘Yes, yes.’ I had a conversation with Sean Shelby when Alex Pereira won the fight (against Israel Adesanya), I told him, ‘Let me fight with that guy in Brazil.’ He said, ‘Come on, let’s go brother.’ Then after he said, ‘No, brother, we’ll fight Colby.’ I said OK, we have to go with Colby, but it never happened.”

According to Chimaev, this was around the time UFC president Dana White began publicly stating he wanted him to move up to middleweight due to a severe weight miss at UFC 279, which caused a chaotic shuffling of bouts just hours before the event. Then, Covington started talking trash.

“When we sent him contract and the UFC wanted to make that match, he was quiet,” Chimaev said. “He didn’t talk about nothing. He disappeared. Now he’s coming back and when I move up, he starts talking about me.”

Related

Daniel Cormier: Belal Muhammad deserves UFC title shot most, but ‘Colby Covington’s name is sexy’

Gilbert Burns takes high road on Colby Covington being named UFC welterweight No. 1 contender

Coach says Khamzat Chimaev’s next fight is at middleweight: ‘We want the No. 1 contender or the champ’

Chimaev said he was never given a clear reason why the fight never came together, but believes Covington’s legal issues with Jorge Masvidal may have played a part.

“UFC wanted it, and why didn’t it happen?” Chimaev said. “Somebody said no. I know it’s not me. I go out in the media that time and he was quiet. I showed for everyone I want to fight with Colby. I posted the pictures on Instagram, and Twitter and everywhere I spoke about it, I wanted to make that show.

“That will be an amazing fight. A lot of people are going to watch that fight, because the guy makes a show. And yeah, people don’t like him because he lies too much, but still, he’s a fighter. For me, an easy fight.”

It appears the UFC has their minds made up on whats next for Covington after he weighed in as an alternate for the UFC 286 title fight. At the post-fight press conference, White stated Covington is next in line for a title shot, which did not sit well with some of his peers. Chimaev, on the other hand, was not bothered.

“I don’t care about that sh*t,” Chimaev said. “I’m here to make money and be happy, and make my family feel good. They can do whatever they want. I’m never going to lose my fight. If they never gonna give me the belt, a title fight, I’m never going to lose a fight. What are they going to do? I’ll be the pound-for-pound without the belt. Best fighter in the world. Become pound-for-pound No. 1 without belt.”

2 Likes

Fighters will never fight as frequently as they used to

As for this specific fight, Masvidal ruined it for us. The winner of Burns Khamzat was supposed to get Covington on the ABC card. They said it several times. Then they were going to give Khamzat a big name in Nate while Colby was taking care of his court business

It seems to me the only reasonable approach to taking a match with Chimaev is what Pereira did, suggesting they fight at 205. Until Chimaev can make weight, I don’t take him seriously, and assume a lot of posturing.

2 Likes

Masvidal might have ruined things in this situation but this is just how it is.

Champs fight twice a year and it took three years to build up to a single Jones fight at HW.

Cards filled with HW fights actually happened back in the day in Japan. Now HW talent is so split up between UFC, Bellator, PFL, ONE, KSW and ACA…you are lucky to get a single HW fight on a MMA card and a single HW fight and three WMMA fights is the norm now in the UFC for a Fight Night.

UFC is in such need of HW’s, they got a HW who is 4-10 in the promotion booked to open the main prelims on their upcoming 287 PPV card. The last fighter he beat in the UFC went 1-6 in the promotion before he was cut. The fighter he beat before that went 1-5 in the promotion before he was beat.

You would never have seen something like that happen ten years ago with the UFC HW division.

1 Like

Whats funny is Chimaev isnt a welterweight and cant make weight and should drop thebColby Covington matchup.

He fumbled the nate fight.

Also if you watch his weigh in with burns, he would have missed weight but they allowed him to towel cheat i believe.

No longer a huge fan of Chimaev. He’s good, but also mostly talk.

He should have fought paulo when he started talking shit/had a scuffle. That was not pursued at all, probably because he’d lose

2 Likes

The 4-10 UFC HW still fighting for them has the 4 wins in the promotion over fighters who went a combined 3-16 in the promotion.

Its the only HW fight on this, the biggest UFC card of the month. Three WSW fights are on the card though.

Back then there wasn’t an industry of sports media covering stuff either. The sport had a fraction of the fans wanting to hear ‘news’ and even less willing/tuned in enough to report on it. Bit of a weird comparison.

That’s the modern version of life bro.

We live in a bullshit world with zero attention span where the internet has taken over too much and rewards loser trolls and clickbait nonsense.

No more substance.

As long as we tolerate the world reserve global enslavement system, everything that can be corrupted will be corrupted.

With the internet, the slavers lost absolute control of information. They can’t control the signal, so they flood it with noise.