Chimaev vs Maia could be happening

Since turning 40, Maia has fought Usman, Martin, Good, Askren, Burns and Chimaev could be next. He fought Masvidal, Woodley and Covington back to back over five months when he was 39.  What. A. Warrior.

Don't like the fight for the legend who turns 43 in October. Sometimes you just don't want to see the young lion vs old dog fights the UFC likes to book but thats prizefighting.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/9/4/21423268/dana-white-ufc-working-on-demian-maia-vs-khamzat-chimaev-for-fight-island-show

Chimaev broke the record for shortest time between wins in July, submitting John Phillips in the second round of their middleweight fight on the 15th, and then picking up a first-round submission in a welterweight bout against Rhys McKee just 10 days later. The unbeaten 26-year-old Russian-Swede had fans and media going wild with fantasy booking, but it looks like the UFC’s matchmakers already have a lofty challenge in mind for him: Two-time UFC title challenger Demian Maia.

“We’re working on fight for him here [in Las Vegas], that’s still being worked,” White said. “But we’re talking about him and Demian Maia on Fight Island.”

“He’ll fight here and he’ll fight on Fight Island,” White said of Chimaev. “This guy wants to—I love that. I love that mentality.”

Go Maia!

I don’t like this fight… There’s a chance Maia submits Chimaev and there goes the hype… They should give Chimaev a guy like Mike Perry .a very beatable but fun matchup that does build up Chimaev quite a bit if he wins

1 Like
ons ear - I don't like this fight.. There's a chance Maia submits Chimaev and there goes the hype.. They should give Chimaev a guy like Mike Perry .a very beatable but fun matchup that does build up Chimaev quite a bit if he wins

Losing to one of the best WWs isn't really kill his stock IMO. Better to lose to Maia than someone like Perry.

On the flip, better to beat Maia than Perry

1 Like

We haven’t seen Chimaev stand with guys, apparently he has vicious power and good striking. May not be on par with his wrestling but if he fights Maia and keeps things on the feet maybe he beats him. Still, would rather see him fight someone to build him up a bit, but god knows he doesn’t care who he fights. 

Very interesting. I can’t pick against Maia. 

ons ear -  I don't like this fight.. There's a chance Maia submits Chimaev and there goes the hype.. They should give Chimaev a guy like Mike Perry .a very beatable but fun matchup that does build up Chimaev quite a bit if he wins

I disagree.

Much like happened to Ben Askren, you can get subbed by Maia and the takeaway is, “Maia subbed him, but that tells you next to nothing about whether anyone else at WW can sub him.”

ons ear - I don't like this fight.. There's a chance Maia submits Chimaev and there goes the hype.. They should give Chimaev a guy like Mike Perry .a very beatable but fun matchup that does build up Chimaev quite a bit if he wins

I hope Maia does tap him. fuck chimaev

Chimaev doesn’t even need to grapple with Maia he KO’s Maia on the feet easily 

SandBlaster - 

Like Anderson, Woodley, and Masvidal all did?

2 Likes
wiggum -
SandBlaster - 

Like Gilbert burns just did. Maia is pretty much 43 years old now, he fought Anderson 10 years ago. Masvidal can’t grapple and Woodleys been destroyed twice in a row and boring as hell other than the till win. Either way chimaev wrecks 43 year old Damian. 

wiggum - 
SandBlaster - 

Didn’t Marquadt flatten Maia in like 25 seconds?

wiggum - 
ons ear -  I don't like this fight.. There's a chance Maia submits Chimaev and there goes the hype.. They should give Chimaev a guy like Mike Perry .a very beatable but fun matchup that does build up Chimaev quite a bit if he wins

I disagree.

Much like happened to Ben Askren, you can get subbed by Maia and the takeaway is, “Maia subbed him, but that tells you next to nothing about whether anyone else at WW can sub him.”

It’s still a loss though which takes away from Chinaevs aura a bit. We all want some seemingly unbeatable prospect coming up the ranks smashing guys. A loss to an almost retired bjj guy just won’t look good Imo

1 Like
SandBlaster -

Unfortunately this. Chimaev runs him over. 

not counting maia out

Gu31232 -

We haven’t seen Chimaev stand with guys, apparently he has vicious power and good striking. May not be on par with his wrestling but if he fights Maia and keeps things on the feet maybe he beats him. Still, would rather see him fight someone to build him up a bit, but god knows he doesn’t care who he fights. 

There’s plenty of footage of him on YouTube 

Bad matchup for Maia

-

Chimaev is booked to fight Meerschaert on Sep 19th.

In that article it was discussed he was fighting at Apex and Fight Island so looks like Meerschaert is his APEX fight. With a win and no injury its expected he still fights Maia soon at Fight Island.

Sherdog has the Meerchaert fight listed for the Woodley card.