Chip: Penetration skill question

ttt

ttt

KS - I think when I first step in, I guess I usually land on my heel first, rolling forward to the ball of my foot. The penetration step is usually sort of a long lunging step, so it would be tough to try to land it on the ball of your foot first.

I don't think I'd get too worked up about landing on your heel or ball of your foot here, though. As long as it's explosive and you penetrate "through" the man, I don't think it matters too much.

HSFolk - Kevin Jackson said to do a little stutter step on shots? I kind of find that hard to believe - maybe one of us is mis-interpreting the other...?

But if that's the case, this sort of brings up a point of concern I've had before...

I've seen Olympic level guys teach some stuff that is VERY difficult to pull off. At least, maybe guys like Kevin Jackson can do it, but it's pretty tough for us mere mortals.

I remember being at a camp in high school and Lou Banick came and taught at one session. With all due respect to Lou Banick, it was some of the most ridiculous stuff I've ever seen, lol. Once he left, one of the other coaches said something to the effect of, "OK guys, I know that might have been a little confusing. Ya see, Lou Banick can do those things. Most of us are not Lou Banick. Stick with the basics and MAYBE if you're where Lou Banick is someday, you might be able to get away with that stuff. Until then, I wouldn't invest too much time practicing the stuff he just showed."

This could be a similar thing where Kevin Jackson is quick enough and good enough to stutter step without telegraphing, but I know I'm not.