Chocolate Al and Danny Miller in my local paper :)

http://www.mykawartha.com/community/article/1269521--abigail-s-picture-goes-big

Abigail's picture goes big

Her renaming of Chuck Liddel as "Chocolate Al" has become an internet hit that spawned a T-shirt campaign

(PETERBOROUGH) RIP "The Iceman" and long live "Chocolate Al"

Mixed martial arts fighter Chuck Liddell has a new internet nickname thanks to a drawing penciled by seven-year-old Queen Mary student Abigail Russell. Abigail documented meeting the former UFC champ in her school journal after meeting him at a seminar held at Crestwood Secondary School this past summer. Her misspelling of his name into "Chocolate Al" (say it out loud and it's clearer) became an internet meme when Abigail's father Mike, an MMA and UFC journalist, posted his daughter's picture of Liddell on popular martial arts message boards that are frequented by industry insiders and fighters.

"It got like 40,000 or 50,000 hits. It became one of the top threads of that month," he explains.

Her sketch created such a buzz online that an idea formulated to make "Chocolate Al" shirts to sell as a fundraiser to aid UFC fighter Dan Miller, whose two-year-old son Danny Jr. was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease and has been on dialysis since birth. When asked if it would be okay to use her drawing for the fundraiser, Abigail had this to say.

"Yes. Imagine if it was Isabella (her three-year old sister) who was sick."

Several websites, including Yahoo! Sports, promoted the fundraiser and as a result close to 500 shirts bearing Abigail's artwork, raised $7,500 to help offset Danny Jr.'s medical costs.

"She kind of has a bond to the family even though she has never met them," explains Russell, noting that Abigail wants to be an artist when she's older.

"I have kids of my own and I can't imagine what they are going through," he adds.

Orders for the shirts have come from all over the world, including Thailand, Australia, the UK, Germany, Spain, Mexico, Denmark, France, the U.S. and Canada. Many UFC fighters have also purchased the shirts.

Russell only expected to sell around 100 shirts, but is now planning to order another 500 because of its early success. He should have no problem selling those as Liddell has offered to model for photos in a shirt and to sign a handful of them for the Daniel Miller Foundation, to auction off.

They will also be sending UFC president Dana White a shirt this week and are hopeful that he will wear it in his next video blog. To make donations the to Daniel James Miller Foundation visit http://danieljamesmillerfoundation.wordpress.com/meet-danny/

He got a few of the numbers wrong, but at least they added a link to the foundation website.

And FYI, we are discussing doing a second limited run of shirts for everyone who missed out on the first.

Awesome.

So cool.

The original "Chocolate Al" photo & thread literally made me laugh out loud when I first read it. So classic. And the fact that it could be used to help someone in the MMA family with Chuck's permission is absolutely fantastic.

A hearty VTFU to you and Abigail!

That is so frickin cool Mike.....

This story keeps getting better. Good work UG

Abigail and Danny Jr are becoming famous!  Let me know if you want me to add Abigail's signature to a second run of shirts haha.

Seriously, this entire ordeal really warmed my heart.  Well done UG.  Well done.

Abby actually wants to be an artist when she's older. It's been her passion for a long time.

She was a painter for Halloween and her favorite book is a Van Gogh picture book she got a few years ago.

She is going to be thrilled when she reads the story tonight.

What a great story, great job by everybody involved!

TTT! So awesome! Phone Post

Nice writeup! Can't wait for mine to arrive!

So awesome to witness and be a part of this MMA community. It really brings a smile to my face. Phone Post

Mike Russell - Abby actually wants to be an artist when she's older. It's been her passion for a long time.
She was a painter for Halloween and her favorite book is a Van Gogh picture book she got a few years ago.

She is going to be thrilled when she reads the story tonight.

Your daughter has a story that she can tell for the rest of her life. The best I had by that age was falling off the top bunk head first into the floor.

It's always awesome to watch people come together to help out someone in need.

TTT

congrats mike that is awesome

Good to hear.

TTT

Uh am I missing it? or where's the link for the shirt?

We're in the process of arranging a second run. Stay tuned in early 2011.

This must be bringing much joy to Abby. I'm happy for her. Phone Post

She's so excited. We thought it was going to be in today's paper, but we found out tonight that it's actually going in Monday's edition. She's been checking the mailbox all night.

BTW, I actually said it was on the Underground forum at MixedMartialArts.com that I posted the drawing, but somehow it got switched to "popular MMA messageboards frequented by industry insiders and fighters."

That was how I described the UG when he asked what it was.

I tried to give a shout out, but it was foiled.