Choked out interviewer...

http://crackle.com/c/Jace_Hall

If you aren't interested in gaming, skip to 8:23.

I had originally declined the interview, because I generally only do technical topics. When they were at the office shooting other things, one of my partners came in and asked on the spur of the moment if I would demonstrate some judo for them. I thought that would be fun, and agreed.

Usually, people at least thrash or gurgle a bit when being choked, even if they are too panicked to remember to tap. Not this time... I did a few other things after the choke that didn't make it on the final cut, but I was pretty skittish about applying armbars to a person that demonstrably wasn't very prompt at tapping, so I probably would have gotten some criticism about my technique.

John Carmack

John Carmack, you can be the first human to do judo in orbit. You can pioneer zero-gravity judo. Yet another possibility NASA refuses to explore!

For those who think this idea is impossible, witness John's work:

http://media.armadilloaerospace.com/misc/sas08_low.mpg

Zero-gravity kata guruma in my lifetime. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

that.. was.. awesome.

Nice work, that dude is huge

lol at cung le.

That is hilarious.

What are the rules for zero-G?

I actually did try a little bit of grappling on a zero gravity parabolic airplane flight a few years ago. You get less than 30 seconds of weightlessness on each loop, so there isn't much time to practice. I swung up for a flying armbar, but I wound up looking silly as I spun almost 360 degrees around. Foot sweeps at Mars (1/3) gravity were funny with a whole lot of air time, but ippon would be almost impossible given all the extra opportunity to turn out.

Given a longer time, grappling (and fighting in general) in weightlessness probably comes down to just two positions -- closed guard and back mount. Without a gravity reference, guard is mount, and almost all other positions result in pushing away from your opponent. Grip - and - kick might also be effective, but it would probably lead to entanglement almost immediately.

When we finally get suborbital rocket flights going, we will get five minutes of weightlessness as you coast up to 100km and back down to the atmosphere. There are all sorts of interesting things to consider in that time frame...

John Carmack

Hmm. Rocket-powered judo matches. John Carmack, I imagine you get told this sort of thing a lot so I am careful about saying it - this is pure genius thinking on your part.

I assume there is still some advantage to space control in Zero-G - like if you're simulating trying to stuff someone into an airlock. So then you need a way to score for making an opponent either fit into a certain space or even just to bounce off certain designated areas (not necessarily the floor, not neccesarily on their back).

Actually for parabolic airplane flights couldn't you just open the door and have people wearing parachutes (or do you need HALO gear?) actually just fight to throw each other off the plane? I'm sure this flouts every safety regulation (not to mention common sense) but some lunatic on this forum must have gone parachuting and tried something like that.

"Without a gravity reference, guard is mount, and almost all other positions result in pushing away from your opponent."

This is worthy of an IJF Whitepaper!

Q3DM17 Judo

Are we being fucked with? Is this seriously Carmack?

I believe it is! But I'm not telling anyone because I don't want the forum to be overrun with gheys (then it would resemble the UG).

It could be.. but that video rocked either way and i'd really like to see if i could dimelo somebody in zero-gravity. if only i made more money than a teacher's salary. lol