choosing a school

Without knowing the prices of the other places, Traven looks like a prime place to check out.

Grantham's is 99 or 129 a month depending on how many classes..not sure about Paul's place

If the $129 is including the other arts he teaches, then that's of course a fair deal too, since you're getting more than BJJ.

If you tell me when you are going to Paul's, I'll give him a heads up and tell him to be on the lookout for you.

ttt

?

supertrucker - ?

Go to Paul's.

One of Paul Creighton's students once came to my school. Guy was as nice as could be. If he's an indication of the typical student there, that's where I'd go.

Bull_in_chinashop -  One of Paul Creighton's students once came to my school. Guy was as nice as could be. If he's an indication of the typical student there, that's where I'd go.

Do you know who it was? We have some guys that work with the feds that try to train when they travel. Just curious. And we all try to be like that!

I train at steve's and I drop in at Paul's every now and again. I've never trained at Traven's or Hardcore gym but I've heard good things about both. I stopped in at John Grantham's once but I got the feel they were more of a MMA gym.

Steve's is more than bjj (i.e. jkd, kali, wing chun). We've got a fairly large mat space. Paul's is a great guy, an awesome instructor. You can find pics of his place on the forum and you can tell its state of the art. Experience-wise, you will have more higher ranked guys at paul's (at least 2 brown belts that i know of, not sure how many purples and blues) not to mention paul himself. Steve's has browns and purples just not as many.

Of the guys I know at paul's, I've never had an issue with any of them. Some of them I've known for years (grade school) and consider good friends. They are some of the senior guys over there and if they are an indicator of the rest of the crew, then I think that's a good sign.

Point is, I don't think either is a bad choice.

Again, I'm biased so take it for what its worth.

CJJScout - 
Bull_in_chinashop -  One of Paul Creighton's students once came to my school. Guy was as nice as could be. If he's an indication of the typical student there, that's where I'd go.

Do you know who it was? We have some guys that work with the feds that try to train when they travel. Just curious. And we all try to be like that!
yep. He occasionally post on here as Guero411. I'm certain you know him.

Oh I know that punk alright! I haven't seen him in a while, but we never know his travel schedule. I'd actually say that he is very low on the totem pole of coolness at our academy, but we're nice to him anyway. :-)

Guero trained just last week...I think it was on Saturday.

He's a big help with a lot of guy's boxing.  He's also one of those guys that constantly comes up with the supercool pair of board shorts or unique gear & whatnot.

Plus he got his picture taken with Kyra Gracie recently, and we all know Scoutt can't stand that!!!

Morgz -
Plus he got his picture taken with Kyra Gracie recently, and we all know Scout can't stand that!!!

I'll confess jealousy.

FWIW it might be great to be in at the beginning of a new academy. You may not have the greatest training partners (at first) but 3 years from now, you will all be tight as thieves.

yeah maybe if I was 20 yrs old and wanted to fight or something but not really what I am looking for. just some good instruction at a place with good people

I would choose the closest club. If you plan to train 2-3 times per week, the closest location will save time and money.
I would choose a club that you can afford financially.
Then I would look at belt level and type of instructors.

that has entered my mind especially with a wife nagging you that you are spending too much time training.

supertrucker - that has entered my mind especially with a wife nagging you that you are spending too much time training.

She will be nagging you the days that you are too lazy to train as she thinks you are wasting money on a contract.

Another huge plus with Paul's place is the addition of a shower.  Couple that with day classes right around lunch time and you don't necessarily have to burn 4 or 5 evenings training every week.  I'm never going to be a fighter, but I love the sport.  I would train 7 days a week just for the sheer fun of it, but life outside of training also happens.  For me, the ability to take a long lunch and train during the day, get a quick shower and go back to work is huge.  I get my training in, and still make it home in the evenings to keep my wife happy.