Chris Berman's Wife Killed in Car Crash

Kathy Berman, wife of ESPN icon Chris Berman, dies in car accident

Kathy Berman, the wife of longtime ESPN broadcaster Chris Berman, died Tuesday in a car accident in rural Connecticut.

Kathy Berman was killed in a two-car crash near Woodbury, Connecticut. Berman, a teacher, was married to Chris for more than 33 years and had two children, Meredith and Douglas. She was 67.

"This is a devastating tragedy and difficult to comprehend," John Skipper, president of ESPN, said in a statement. "Chris is beloved by all his ESPN colleagues and for good reason: He has a huge heart and has given so much to so many over the years. We know how much his family means to him and all we can do at a moment like this is give him the love and support he will surely need at this hour. Our thoughts and prayers are with Chris, Meredith, Doug and the entire family."

The driver of the other car, Edward Bertulis, of Waterbury, Connecticut, also died in the accident. He was 87.

Chris Berman joined ESPN in 1979. He married Kathy four years later.

Several NFL teams and players sent out condolences via social media.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19346361/setting-every-2017-nfl-quarterback-battle-leading-which-rookies-start

87 and driving still.. fuck hope that didn't cause the accident 

That's horrible. 

Crisco - 

87 and driving still.. fuck hope that didn't cause the accident 

My thoughts too

"What did that 87 year old do to cause it?"

I think she rear-ended him, so unlikely the old guy caused it. Hopefully she is clear on toxicology and wasnt using electronic media at the time. Sad for all involved either way.

Terrible... Chris seems like an awesome dude too. Plus he just retired so he was probably planning on spending a lot of time with his family 

sadic1 - 

I think she rear-ended him, so unlikely the old guy caused it. Hopefully she is clear on toxicology and wasnt using electronic media at the time. Sad for all involved either way.

I thought he rear ended her?

This is from the Yahoo article I read, if accurate:

"According to local reports, the 2003 Lexus of Berman, 67, apparently rear-ended Bertulis’s Ford Escape, left the road, and overturned in a small body of water. Bertulis’s car struck a utility pole; Bertulis died at nearby Waterbury Hospital."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/wife-espns-chris-berman-dies-two-car-accident-131922072.html

Awe man that is tragic!  And as Ram pointed out Chris had just retired, horrible...

RIP

And the other driver, 87, age no doubt had a role to play in the accident.

Oh she rear ended the other guy?  Damn...  I retract my age comment (although drivers over 75 scare the shit out of me with their slow reaction times)

Very sad.

Rear ended her? Are you saying he went back back back?

scourge - Rear ended her? Are you saying he went back back back?

Was wondering how long it would be before that joke showed up in this thread

It was low brow and I'm not proud of it.

RIP

Can't stand that dude, but that's horrible. RIP.

Ram Rod -

Terrible... Chris seems like an awesome dude too. Plus he just retired so he was probably planning on spending a lot of time with his family 

That's what I thought

I figured she could do better than an 03 Lexus.