Chris n Kirik-striking the back of the head

FRAT-I like that you cant strike to the back of the head.

So I watched the Joe Rogan show with you two, and I thought it was awesome. I know a lot of negativity has circled here, but I personally enjoyed it and took zero offense.

You three discussed that you felt some confusion about why exactly strikes to the back of the head are illegal. Personally, I cannot tell you why or who developed this rule. BUT, I can say I personally believe its a good rule.

The back of the head-neck exposes the area of where the tip of the spinal cord develops into the brain stem. If you do not know, the brain stem is pretty much what connects your spine to your brain. And, unfortunately, it isn't protected very well at all. Pretty much the only thing that protects the brain stem/spine in that area is muscle and skin.

Now, Im no doctor, so if a doc here wishes to elaborate, please do. Their understanding of anatomy will be better than mine. But I can say, as a prehospital EMT, that's an area that's drilled into our brain to always check while assessing, especially when immobilizing patients (check for step off you assholes) I have personally ran on a four wheeler incident- guy was sitting on it, no helmet, accidently whisky throttled and fell off the back, with the back of his head landing perfectly on a large rock that snapped his brain stem. Its hard for us to know when we respond exactly what happened, but we begin to cpr and work the patient because hes pulseless and apneic...then feel the back of his head/neck and it feels like goo. The back of your head should never ever feel like warm jello.

I clearly have a bias, because ive experienced serious trauma to this area in some patients, but I personally feel to side with fight safety, that the 'no striking the Mohawk/back of the head' rule is a great rule. You have GREAT points about the kicks landing there, and how some fights turn away from strikes, therefore its their fault for the strike landing there....but I just felt if it wasn't a rule, fighters would just wham wham away to the back of the head because MANY positions in mma would be great for it. Eventually, it would lead to serious injury or a death, I believe.

I don't think you guys were bashing the rule, just seemed like it was too misunderstood? And again, Im no doc, but from what ive seen in the medical field, its a very very vulnerable area of the human body. So maybe that's why it was made into a rule?

Either way, I hope maybe that sheds light onto a new insight for you guys. I loved the show. Love the UG. and fuck yes I always type MMA.TV because real men know better!

Good post, makes sense. Phone Post 3.0

Word. Good read. Phone Post 3.0

DalyDentedDecimated'sDome - 

Rules like this should be agreed upon before by combatants.

If they want to sign the waiver, sure, do it !  if one refuses then not allowed.  But if say Rory and Lawler want to use brass knuckles, both agree, let em.

Some would agree with you, and that's fine. But the issue would be, if we did allow what you say, athletic commissions are gonna run for the hills. And before you know it, the sport will be back to the dark days again.

We have come VERY far....and we can go farther. But sadly, NHB is behind us for a reason.

I really hope Kirik n Chris see. I want their opinion as well.

When I ref, I tell fighters to make sure glove touches ear. Otherwise...they've slipped too far to the back of the head.

That said, when back mounted on a fighter covering up and turning...the first strike to the back of the head is generally cause the one fighter turning away from the strikes. In this case, the first back of head strike is no fault of the attacker...but a second would be.

UGCTT_LastCall - When I ref, I tell fighters to make sure glove touches ear. Otherwise...they've slipped too far to the back of the head.

That said, when back mounted on a fighter covering up and turning...the first strike to the back of the head is generally cause the one fighter turning away from the strikes. In this case, the first back of head strike is no fault of the attacker...but a second would be.

THIS and VU. I agree that if a fighter turns the head after the strike is thrown, its their own fault. Cant penalize the attacker in that situation.

Ive reffed too. and its by far THE WORST JOB in MMA. Its fun, and I enjoyed it....but man the stress.

TTT for the day Phone Post 3.0

I think they were more or less saying that often times strikes to the back of the head are unavoidable, even when not done intentionally. Rogan brought up the example of head kicks, where essentially that is exactly what is happening when you take a clean one with the shin, the foot is basically wrapped around to the back of the the head.

I personally like the no strikes to the back of the head rule, but it appears that punches are really the only thing they look for when enforcing the rule. Taking that kind of damage I feel like can lead to major long term health issues that I don't want to see fighters exposed to. I want to see long successful MMA careers, not ones cut short due to injuries sustained by those kind of strikes. Phone Post 3.0

Voted up.

notsobigmike - I thought part of it too was that the back of the head is weaker, so it's much easier to suffer brain damage - that might just be a myth, though.
That's an answer I truly don't know. The brain is pretty tender all around. I don't think there's any place that's weaker or stronger. But again, I'm not sure Phone Post 3.0

One last TTT in hope for a response Phone Post 3.0

notsobigmike - I thought part of it too was that the back of the head is weaker, so it's much easier to suffer brain damage - that might just be a myth, though.

I don't think this is the case, as far as the skull being weaker. I'm pretty sure it's just the brain stem protruding out of the skull into the neck.

A well balanced, thoughtfully expressed viewpoint on the UG?

TTT

I understand why it's not a good idea to have people target the back of the head, but I hate when fighters only show the back of their head and abuse the rule. It's like putting a finger in the mat IMO. That's not a realistic defense. In real life that's how you get killed. But again I understand we can't have people targeting the back of the head. It's tricky. Phone Post 3.0

thembones - A well balanced, thoughtfully expressed viewpoint on the UG?

TTT

Kind of one reason why I also want them to see. We aren't always douchebags :) Phone Post 3.0

TTT Phone Post 3.0

Morris Szyslak - TTT for dawley.

Thank you sir and VU with another TTT