Chris Weidman Vs Uriah Hall (KO)

orcus - 

"Weidman has a TakeDown Accuracy % of 72  (GSP is 1st with a 78% rate) - Weidman needs a few more to qualify and be 3rd best of all time..."

And that stat would be totally convincing, because Weidman has TOTALLY been fighting guys as good as Sonnen and GSP have.

exactly

orcus - 

It's funny the Weidman huggers were talking up this fight as evidence that Weidman is a standup threat to Anderson.

What I saw is Weidman winning a mediocre standup fight with a TUF guy, going 1 for 3 on takedowns, and not being able to keep him down even on that one.  

Sounds like Anderson by first round stoppage to me.

yeah, but thats because you are a hating bitch..it was his 3rd fight...how good do wrestlers usually look in their 3rd fight?

Willy the Coyote - 

There's a big difference between what Uriah was doing on last night's episode and lowering your hands and using quality lateral movement to avoid takedowns. Whenever he was pressure he dropped his hands and backed straight up, which is a huuuge no-no. Ask Arlovski. Phone Post

Definitely. Hall was backing up far too frequently with his chin straight up in the air. A fake followed by a lunging right hook ala Woodley against Hieron the other night would have been exactly the shot to capitalise.

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 
orcus - 

It's funny the Weidman huggers were talking up this fight as evidence that Weidman is a standup threat to Anderson.

What I saw is Weidman winning a mediocre standup fight with a TUF guy, going 1 for 3 on takedowns, and not being able to keep him down even on that one.  

Sounds like Anderson by first round stoppage to me.

yeah, but thats because you are a hating bitch..it was his 3rd fight...how good do wrestlers usually look in their 3rd fight?

Chris weidman is legit, I don't understand where people get off saying he's overrated. Phone Post

Doc T - 

Chris weidman is legit, I don't understand where people get off saying he's overrated. Phone Post

I think over-hyped is the better term. The Anderson haters act like he is "the one", and has proven to be some wrecking machine who has the style to beat Andy (just like every previous challenger).

Reality is the kid looks GREAT, but is 9-0 and has only really fought a couple top tier opponents.

Doc T - 

hate goggles they have on

Nice thread trying to take away from Urijahs accomplishments on TUF and spin it off in favor of Weidman. Keeping it classy I see. Phone Post

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
Doc T - 

I think over-hyped is the better term. The Anderson haters act like he is "the one", and has proven to be some wrecking machine who has the style to beat Andy (just like every previous challenger).

Reality is the kid looks GREAT, but is 9-0 and has only really fought a couple top tier opponents.

I think it's just the opposite. Any MMA fan with eyesight sees that no striker is touching Andy, so a strong grappler with awesome takedowns is the ONLY chance to even challenge Anderson.

^^^ I understand your point.

Do you really feel that Weidman has "awesome takedowns"? He struggled to get Sakara down for the whole first round...and didn't exactly dominate Maia in the TD department. Keep in mind that Munoz has been taken down with ease by Hammill, and Leben even took him down iirc.

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

^^^ I understand your point.

Do you really feel that Weidman has "awesome takedowns"? He struggled to get Sakara down for the whole first round...and didn't exactly dominate Maia in the TD department. Keep in mind that Munoz has been taken down with ease by Hammill, and Leben even took him down iirc.

True, can't really say how his takedowns would work on Silva. But still, I love seeing Anderson highlight reel people but would like to see him fight Weidman asap so that the fight doesn't end up being the one "what if" -fight, since Weidman is probably the only one in the MW division who could perhaps win a round against Anderson.

TuLegit - 

Not really much of a KO... Phone Post

He was out from the Left Hook that dropped him... Big Dan then let him take 47 unanswered punches....So that end looked weird

It's amazing what 2 and a half years is for a fighter. Also, assuming by some witchcraft, if the Weidman vs. Silva fight lined up in July, how long of a layoff would that be for Chris?

Pure -
Ingo Weigold -  Long time ago friend Phone Post

I know right. 2 and a half years ago.

AN ETERNITY!

Sadly, it probably will take some grainy film of Weidman destroying the latest "TUF Killer" du jour for people to give this kid any modicum of respect.

2 and a half years ago you didn't know Jon Jones name Phone Post

Willy the Coyote - Uriah is flashy, but he won't be a big threat in the UFC. He backs up straight with his chin sticking out. Phone Post

Thats probably one of the easiest things to fix Phone Post

REDRUM_NYC -
NotImpressedByYourScreenName -  Good advertisement for Weidman, but an even better advertisement for Silva. There were so many opportunities in that 3min where a failed TD would have been met with a lethal, fight ending combo from Silva. Silva is at a level now where he needs only one slight opening and he ends the fight in 3 seconds flat.

If Weidman wants to take Anderson down he better start getting TD lessons from Chael stat. His GnP looked sloppy too - looked like Dan stopped it out of boredom more than anything else. Phone Post

Calm down there son.....

Sonnen has a TakeDown Accuracy % of only 60

Weidman has a TakeDown Accuracy % of 72  (GSP is 1st with a 78% rate) - Weidman needs a few more to qualify and be 3rd best of all time...

http://www.fightmetric.com/ufcrecords.php

Jones is 100 percent (: Phone Post

Willy the Coyote - 

Uriah is flashy, but he won't be a big threat in the UFC. He backs up straight with his chin sticking out. Phone Post

So fighters on TUF have reached their max potential with no lack of evolving?  Hmmm....  this is dissapoint.

I remember thinking they way Hall was backing/leaning straight back during his TUF fight would get him in trouble. Obviously a bad habit if he has proof of it from 2 years ago and still hasn't corrected it.

TKO IMO.

Weird. First time I linked to this page the video was from a crazy dude in the crowd, now it's a clip shot off a TV.

Willy the Coyote - 
jasonhightower - 
Willy the Coyote - 

Uriah is flashy, but he won't be a big threat in the UFC. He backs up straight with his chin sticking out. Phone Post

So fighters on TUF have reached their max potential with no lack of evolving?  Hmmm....  this is dissapoint.

Of course they can, but Uriah was doing the same thing in his TUF fight as he was doing in this fight against Weidman from three years ago. It's more of an instinctual thing than anything, which are much more difficult to get under control. I'm pretty sure his coaches have been trying to correct it for years now. He'll look okay against sub par strikers with limited takedown ability, but the moment he takes on a skilled stand up fighter, he's done.

I completely agree he's got some work to do to hang with the big boys, but I am not writing him off from a solid UFC career just yet.