Chronology of 90’s Boxing Pound For Pound Number

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MqTBsHMGKM&app=desktop

Chronology of 90's boxing pound for pound Number One race based on the Ring Magazine Rankings. 

Lanceness021 -

Chronology of 90's boxing pound for pound Number One race based on the Ring Magazine Rankings. 

It's gotta be black people, right?

PhillyFights -
Lanceness021 -

In the 90's the Ring magazine managed to rank two black guys and two white guys P4P number one. 

For those who aren't interested in my particular video but might be interested in the race to be pound for pound no. 1 in the 90's the ring rankings by year go;

1990 - Julio Cesar Chavez

1991 - Julio Cesar Chavez

1992 - Julio Cesar Chavez

1993 - Pernell Whittaker

1994 - Pernell Whittaker

1995 - Pernell Whittaker

1996 - Roy Jones

1997 - Oscar De La Hoya

1998 - Oscar De La Hoya

1999 - Roy Jones

I think the main ranking that people forget is that in the late 90's the ring ranked De La Hoya ahead of Roy Jones. 

1 Like
PhillyFights -
Lanceness021 -

I take it you are not a boxing fan? 

1 Like
Lanceness021 -
PhillyFights -
Lanceness021 -

I'm very much a boxing fan. Especially the 90s. My comment was directed at your post where it said "number one RACE based on Ring magazine rankings". I assumed this was a typo, and made a joke saying it has to be black people. Then the way you responded to that made me think it wasn't a typo. So I became confused and just abandoned thread. Still don't know. 

Lanceness, did you make that video?

ProteinOverdrive -

Yes. 

Tried to get my username changed today. Do you know who the active mods are? 

PhillyFights -
Lanceness021 -
PhillyFights -
Lanceness021 -

I'm very much a boxing fan. Especially the 90s. My comment was directed at your post where it said "number one RACE based on Ring magazine rankings". I assumed this was a typo, and made a joke saying it has to be black people. Then the way you responded to that made me think it wasn't a typo. So I became confused and just abandoned thread. Still don't know. 

Ah I see, my mistake didn't notice the typo until now. 

Do some more decades

Thinking it over by number one race, I meant what I said. 

It was a metaphorical "race" for the likes of Whittaker, De La Hoya, Jones etc. one guy trying to outdo the other one. 

See who could win the biggest fight to score points with the boxing purists and outdo the other one. 

Taylor27 -

Do some more decades

The Ring only started doing pound for pound rankings in 1989, so it would be harder to do and more controversial. 

Lanceness021 -
ProteinOverdrive -

Yes. 

Email this 

support@mmallc.freshdesk.com

DropKick Joe -
Lanceness021 -
ProteinOverdrive -

Yes. 

Email this 

support@mmallc.freshdesk.com

Thanks. 

The 90's are one of the best decades in boxing , I grew up watching Chavez , Jackson, Jones , foreman ,Tyson etc etc ....great memories 

dios -

The 90's are one of the best decades in boxing , I grew up watching Chavez , Jackson, Jones , foreman ,Tyson etc etc ....great memories 

Agreed, the Foreman comeback was epic, even though he was a crappy commentator at times with obvious bias that was my favourite part of boxing in the 90's. 

You can't put big George in a pound for pound list though obviously. 

What did you think of Whittaker? 

He was damn effective but he was sure in some snoozers. Probably the most effective fighter of the decade though in my opinion. 

I still think the best boxer I have ever seen was a prime RJJ.  He had absolutely everything.  If he cherry picked and retired after going to HW, people would think of him very differently than they do now.  Oscar was good but never close to the level of RJJ imo.

ImNotSurprisedDonks -

I still think the best boxer I have ever seen was a prime RJJ.  He had absolutely everything.  If he cherry picked and retired after going to HW, people would think of him very differently than they do now.  Oscar was good but never close to the level of RJJ imo.

Agreed. He's definitely my favorite fighter of all - time and I believe one of the most naturally gifted boxers to ever enter the ring. I think his stock drops a bit though because he fought a lot of cans and decent fighters that were one or two levels below him when he was in his prime. Guys like Oscar and Pernell on the other hand fought the very best of the best during that same time.

ImNotSurprisedDonks -

I think RJJ was the best offensive fighter of the decade. 

That said he showed a passivity in his performances against Mike McCallum and Montell Griffin 1 that suggested if he were pressed by an elite fighter who worked a volume game such as Michael Nunn he could potentially have been outpointed. 

It's all speculation though because at the time of the fight he only fought one guy in the P4P top ten in Toney who he blew out of the water. 

Several big fights for RJJ that things just didn't quite align for - Mclellan and Nunn would have been two very interesting match ups that would have made him easier to rank as an all time great.