Chuck Liddell greatest tdd ever

watching strikeforce last weekend really got me to thinking seeing all that dry hump wrestling going on reminded me of how chuck had the greatest tdd of alltime. think about this, chuck never ever got lnp'ed on. what was it about chuck that made him so good at preventing td's and he hasd that move that he used that always got him back to his feet.

imo the biggest thing about it was desire, i think he just refused to give in to the td. i know chuck was said to be a great wrestler in his own right and used it primarily for defensive purposes but i always thought the worst thing you could do on the bottom is to just lay there

why dont more fighters try and mimick that move chuck used to get up? i know he kinda gave up his back a little but nobody ever took advantage of it. can somebody post a gif of chuck getting u?

^^

Chuck would risk damage to get up, and he used the cage well.

He certainly does have some of the best TDD ever.

"Prime" Ken, Mirko and BJ also had very good TDD, in their own times.

Chuck's TDD was good but so was his ability to get up if taken down.

He always said he didn't care if he got hit on the way up when getting off the ground.

Chuck's chin at one time was pretty respectable.

it was kinda weird because he would just stand up. fact is nobody could keep chuck down. the only times he didnt get up was against rampage and randy(1) and that was because he was already thoroughy beaten

JDS he then takes down the wrestlers . Phone Post

IMHO Chuck's wrestling background taught him that the success of Wrestling in MMA is hugely dependant on pressure - either the opponent coming forward trying to strike the wrestler, or the wrestler throwing hands to get the opponent to stop moving and cover up while he bridged the gap to the hips.

Chuck stopped the pressure on both fronts. He rarely surged forward like a pressure fighting MMA striker, and liked to move using those infamous cinder blocks on those long Tommy Hearns like arms.  And secondly he was such a threat on his feet and such a good counter-striker that those wrestlers were scared shitless to try to close with him because  it often resulted in getting ktfo or shooting from too far away.

Chuck Liddell.  the man. 

Chuck and prime Cro Cop both had the best tdd. Phone Post

Bull_in_chinashop -  IMHO Chuck's wrestling background taught him that the success of Wrestling in MMA is hugely dependant on pressure - either the opponent coming forward trying to strike the wrestler, or the wrestler throwing hands to get the opponent to stop moving and cover up while he bridged the gap to the hips.

Chuck stopped the pressure on both fronts. He rarely surged forward like a pressure fighting MMA striker, and liked to move using those infamous cinder blocks on those long Tommy Hearns like arms.  And secondly he was such a threat on his feet and such a good counter-striker that those wrestlers were scared shitless to try to close with him because  it often resulted in getting ktfo or shooting from too far away.

Chuck Liddell.  the man. 

GREAT post!

Chuck was also very good at "baiting" his opponents. He would let them get a few close ones off, and give them a false sense of security. He basically teased his opponents into chasing him, and his counter punching + his power would put almost anybody away.

Chuck had a very basic and effective game plan that never really changed, and played directly to his strengths as a fighter.

Very smart, very effective.

His style was not without risk though. He would pretty much bank that he could take his opponent's punches, but his opponent could not take his. He was willing to take a few, to land his own.

His quick ass uppercuts were his first line of defense. Ya knew ya had to eat one if ya tried, and not to many people could eat one so not so many people were eager to attempt many tds on him. Phone Post

captain_underwear - yeah prime Kens TDD was awesome. I remember when Dan Severn was terrorizing the UFC until he raan into Ken Shamrock, that was a beautiful thing to see how Ken beat him.

Dan had nothing on Ken

Yeah, Ken outclassed Severn. That was a big deal at the time.

Ken is often underrated here. But back in the day, he was a monster.

Cro Cop's sprawl was also a thing of beauty.

I think a lot of what made Chuck's takedown defence so good, on top of his actual defensive wrestling skills, was his great counter-striking and tremendous ability to absorb punishment. Guys knew that if they got too close, they were going to get smashed, and even if they struck their way in and landed, Chuck would probably still be standing there, ready to fire back immediately. He also used to leave himself open while trying to spring up back to his feet, knowing that he could block his opponent's bombs with his head.

Rampage also had incredible tdd. He stuffed a shot from Randelman all the way across the ring. Impressive. Phone Post

Cro cop Phone Post

Arlovski is listed 1st at 89.5% success and Liddell in 6th with 85% success rate for the technically inclined.

Liddell got taken down more than people remember. This is a case of people glorifying someone's accomplishments after their career. He was one of the best, and was also one of the best at being able to get back up.

Having said that, let's not forget Handy took him down and kept him down en route to TKOing him in their first fight, Rampage took him down and kept him down and TKOed him as well. One of the greatest, but not the best.

Sub to celebrate chucks legacy Phone Post

Subbed Phone Post

I'm a chuck fan for life !
If he had a better chin I woulda loved to see him fight machida :( Phone Post

Totally agree that Chucks TDD was outstanding. Not just in his prime, but it seemed like he maintained that above all else as he kept fighting.

However the most impressive TDD I ever saw came from an older Jose Aldo highlight reel. I can't seem to find it anywhere but about 40 seconds in you see some solid takedown attempts not only with a sprawl but perfect 90 degree rotation. This was all pre WEC title. Anyone else see this or have the ability to post it? (had some Linkin Park song in the background)

ausgepicht - Arlovski is listed 1st at 89.5% success and Liddell in 6th with 85% success rate for the technically inclined.<P><P>Liddell got taken down more than people remember. This is a case of people glorifying someone's accomplishments after their career. He was one of the best, and was also one of the best at being able to get back up.<P><P>Having said that, let's not forget Handy took him down and kept him down en route to TKOing him in their first fight, Rampage took him down and kept him down and TKOed him as well. One of the greatest, but not the best.

hey brainiac i already cited those were the only times in his entire career that chuck ever didnt get back to his feet and that was only because he was totally beaten and gassed already. however in those fights both rampage and randy scored other tds that chuck popped right back up from proving my point that nobody ever held chuck down