CJJ Worlds is coming. Good or bad for the sport?

might get some of the better mma grapplers to try it out, i can't imagine what shields would do to aj with slaps on the ground, actually I can and I think that would be a great match up

Claude Patrick - hey guys really important that i lay out i think every expression of jiujitsu is cool and great to whoever is doing it BUT if the purpose of CJJ is to evolove the art as a combat its missing the mark

from what i saw CJJ is just MMA "lite" and even a step below the rules of pankration or combat sambo which take the BJJ's practitioners main problem into account

the transition from striking range to ground position

thats its straight up most high level BJJ fighters who can get it to the mat do fine but the majority take tons of damage in the attempt so it CJJ just to see who is the best ground slap fighters or a new additon to EBI cool but its not the best way to have well rounded fight skills

imo

Pretty much this. I would rather watch combat sambo and full on mma vs bjj w slaps. Audiences loved it to laugh at a slap, thats about it and I just don't care for it. Mind you more rules sets and tourney formats is good overall I think anyways, but I won't be tuning in to CJJ as it honestly doesn't interest me. And I watch mma all the time mind you, I'll take striking in that format instead.

Again. Are there standing strikes?

Kicks?

Can you lick downed opponents? Not the head, but the ribs and legs like mma?

I dont get it, why not just throw some MMA gloves on them and do a punches only ruleset? Make it a somewhat safer amateur option for grapplers that want to pursue MMA without the need to go the sport jiu jitsu route. Slapping on the ground is something you would do in training to teach grapplers the basics of how to deal strikes. I don't think it makes sense to have it as an integral part of a ruleset for a competition that is meant to showcase a high level of skill. Maybe do a novice division with slaps and an advanced one with punches or something? Could even do an elite division with a punch only ruleset on the feet AND on the ground.

Triple_B -

I dont get it, why not just throw some MMA gloves on them and do a punches only ruleset? Make it a somewhat safer amateur option for grapplers that want to pursue MMA without the need to go the sport jiu jitsu route. Slapping on the ground is something you would do in training to teach grapplers the basics of how to deal strikes. I don't think it makes sense to have it as an integral part of a ruleset for a competition that is meant to showcase a high level of skill. Maybe do a novice division with slaps and an advanced one with punches or something? Could even do an elite division with a punch only ruleset on the feet AND on the ground.

Because that is pretty much as brutal as an MMA fight. Not many people want to be ground and pounded with full punches on the ground and just for a grappling match. The slaps are hard enough that it causes the same reactions in getting punched without getting your nose caved in.

TexDeuce -
Triple_B -

Because that is pretty much as brutal as an MMA fight. Not many people want to be ground and pounded with full punches on the ground and just for a grappling match. The slaps are hard enough that it causes the same reactions in getting punched without getting your nose caved in.

Getting lit up standing or getting elbowed and kneed is way worse. Ground punches only aren't anywhere near as brutal as a unified rules MMA fight. Most of the mma fights with the least amount of damage inflicted are matches that end up on the ground with the guy on top doing ground and pound from guard. If you want to minimize the risk of injury just stick to grappling. 

This is also an amateur competition. People will be more willing to quit, tap out or play it safe because there isn't money, records and legacies on the line. They also aren't fighters, so I don't think you would see anywhere near the level of carnage that would see on a typical MMA card. 

You can eat a few slaps before it starts to worry you also, the reactions are not quite as "instantaneous " when knuckles are not involved imo.

I think it would be popular. The guys that suck or are just trying it out and not serious can at least tell their girlfriends they are fighters lol. Everyone else has a cool MMA light competition to test themselves with that could lead to something greater if they are good. 

Triple_B -
TexDeuce -
Triple_B -

Getting lit up standing or getting elbowed and kneed is way worse. Ground punches only aren't anywhere near as brutal as a unified rules MMA fight. Most of the mma fights with the least amount of damage inflicted are matches that end up on the ground with the guy on top doing ground and pound from guard. If you want to minimize the risk of injury just stick to grappling. 

This is also an amateur competition. People will be more willing to quit, tap out or play it safe because there isn't money, records and legacies on the line. They also aren't fighters, so I don't think you would see anywhere near the level of carnage that would see on a typical MMA card. 

You can eat a few slaps before it starts to worry you also, the reactions are not quite as "instantaneous " when knuckles are not involved imo.

I think it would be popular. The guys that suck or are just trying it out and not serious can at least tell their girlfriends they are fighters lol. Everyone else has a cool MMA light competition to test themselves with that could lead to something greater if they are good. 

Theres prize money isn't there. There definitley was at ebi 11